Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)  (Read 48375 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)
« Reply #25: January 10, 2016, 07:43:14 PM »
We'll be over.

haha, my kids used to complain and now they call me asking how to make what they used to complain about :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #26: January 10, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »
Daughter and her husband use this.  In another city. They seem to like it.

What is that city?    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #27: January 10, 2016, 07:48:21 PM »
haha, my kids used to complain and now they call me asking how to make what they used to complain about :lol:

Mac and cheese   ....

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #28: January 10, 2016, 11:51:13 PM »
I don't think I've ever been high on garlic before. 
:lmao:

So does the house still smell like garlic?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #29: January 11, 2016, 02:07:36 PM »
So I have a pulled pork receipe that calls for the browning of the pork shoulder prior to placing it in the crock pot with the sauce and spices.

Would browning it the night before and placing it in a ziploc with all the spices and sauce and then putting it in the crock pot in the morning be an issue?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #30: January 11, 2016, 02:26:37 PM »
So I have a pulled pork receipe that calls for the browning of the pork shoulder prior to placing it in the crock pot with the sauce and spices.

Would browning it the night before and placing it in a ziploc with all the spices and sauce and then putting it in the crock pot in the morning be an issue?

From a food safety standpoint, I wouldn't do this. Sure, the chance of actual food poisoning is still relatively low, but why tempt fate?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #31: January 11, 2016, 02:29:46 PM »
From a food safety standpoint, I wouldn't do this. Sure, the chance of actual food poisoning is still relatively low, but why tempt fate?

If he puts the bag in the fridge over night I don't see that food poisoning would be an issue?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #32: January 11, 2016, 02:50:50 PM »
If he puts the bag in the fridge over night I don't see that food poisoning would be an issue?

Not at all, just make sure it's cooked to a temp of at least 160 degrees.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #33: January 11, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »
"Coq au Papelbon"
Ali - does this recipe have a name ?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #34: January 11, 2016, 06:23:30 PM »
Not at all, just make sure it's cooked to a temp of at least 160 degrees.
But that's the thing. Simply browning it won't get anything but the surface to 160 but will let the adjacent meat spend longer than it should in the "danger zone" (roughly 40-145*F). You should limit raw foods to a single trip through the danger zone, and make it as fast as possible, and never longer than 2 hours (half that if the food is reaching 90* internally). The combination of partially cooked, cooled then reheated food and the slow, low temperatures in a slow cooker is really not a good one, especially when the risk can be almost eliminated by simply getting started a bit earlier in the morning and goimg direct from browning skillet to crock pot.

Fwiw I was a chef in my previous  career. Big hat and newspaper articles and the whole 9 yards. I did the safety and sanitation courses in about 6 different jurisdictions over the years. So I might have a lower tolerance.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #35: January 11, 2016, 06:53:49 PM »
Okay, so if I'm going to brown it, do it in the morning.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #36: January 11, 2016, 08:20:18 PM »
I think he should try it anyways in the interest of science. 
But that's the thing. Simply browning it won't get anything but the surface to 160 but will let the adjacent meat spend longer than it should in the "danger zone" (roughly 40-145*F). You should limit raw foods to a single trip through the danger zone, and make it as fast as possible, and never longer than 2 hours (half that if the food is reaching 90* internally). The combination of partially cooked, cooled then reheated food and the slow, low temperatures in a slow cooker is really not a good one, especially when the risk can be almost eliminated by simply getting started a bit earlier in the morning and goimg direct from browning skillet to crock pot.

Fwiw I was a chef in my previous  career. Big hat and newspaper articles and the whole 9 yards. I did the safety and sanitation courses in about 6 different jurisdictions over the years. So I might have a lower tolerance.

Offline imref

« Reply #37: January 11, 2016, 08:52:01 PM »
Go with dcpatti's advice. Ignore mine. :).

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #38: January 11, 2016, 08:53:18 PM »

oh how fun! There seems to be lots of good cooks in this thread but I don't believe there's any pros, I foresee you getting lots of questions now  :mg:

I've done the "brown the night before" thing for years and years and actually I think I break lots of cooking rules but so far so good for not poisoning/killing myself or anyone I've cooked for so I think that's given me a higher tolerance, and/or very false sense of security :lol:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #39: January 11, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »
Go with dcpatti's advice. Ignore mine. :).

Right?  We're all "safety, schmaefety" haha

Offline mitlen

« Reply #40: January 11, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »
Right?  We're all "safety, schmaefety" haha

Five second rule.   If necessary 10.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #41: January 11, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
Five second rule.   If necessary 10.

That's what I'm talking about :thumbs:

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #42: January 11, 2016, 11:43:09 PM »
Really it's still a long shot to get any foodborne illness these days f you just keep things tidy, because our food sources and water supplies are pretty clean.  I still get super paranoid about meats and temperatures just because some of the rare stuff is really really nasty, especially when the bacteria start  multiplying and they produce enough waste for it to become a toxin.  I changed careers and it still drives me nuts to go in the conference room at 9:30am and see that someone has plunked the cold meatballs for the afternoon potluck into a cold crock pot, set it to Low and wandered off.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #43: January 11, 2016, 11:52:35 PM »
Really it's still a long shot to get any foodborne illness these days f you just keep things tidy, because our food sources and water supplies are pretty clean.  I still get super paranoid about meats and temperatures just because some of the rare stuff is really really nasty, especially when the bacteria start  multiplying and they produce enough waste for it to become a toxin.  I changed careers and it still drives me nuts to go in the conference room at 9:30am and see that someone has plunked the cold meatballs for the afternoon potluck into a cold crock pot, set it to Low and wandered off.

I guess for me ignorance is bliss because I see nothing wrong with that :lol: I'll bet people expect big things from you at the potluck :)

Offline imref

« Reply #44: January 12, 2016, 06:16:23 AM »

Ever think about working for chipotle?  They could use you.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #45: January 12, 2016, 07:32:57 AM »
Every Monday is going to be steak Monday.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #46: January 12, 2016, 08:34:48 AM »
Every Monday is going to be steak Monday.

Enjoy the gout.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #47: January 12, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »
Enjoy the gout.
Will go great with the terrible back, the busted knees, the arthritis, the diabetes, and of course, the brain damage.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #48: January 12, 2016, 09:02:26 AM »
Will go great with the terrible back, the busted knees, the arthritis, the diabetes, and of course, the brain damage.

I'd take another case of kidney stones before I'd take another gout attack.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #49: January 12, 2016, 09:22:30 AM »
Oh stop hyperventilating.  Once a week isn't going to do that

Enjoy the gout.