Author Topic: The Big Dig  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: The Big Dig
« Reply #75: January 26, 2016, 08:59:51 PM »
I saw one of my neighbors hosing down his snow-covered driveway. I have no idea what he was doing. I guess he though he could melt the snow?
Trying to wash off the salt?  Or maybe trying to start a skating rink.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #76: January 26, 2016, 09:13:41 PM »
I saw one of my neighbors hosing down his snow-covered driveway. I have no idea what he was doing. I guess he though he could melt the snow?
You can. And since the temps aren't supposed to drop too low, you could probably get away with it if he salted the driveway afterwards.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #77: January 26, 2016, 11:16:36 PM »
I drove in North Arlington late this afternoon around George Mason Drive and Washington Blvd. Many of the sidestreets have not even been touched, while some have been plowed down to asphalt. I would be pissed.

I live on a short dead-end street in South Arlington, near Shirlington. I was expecting the worst, but they brought a front-end loader down this way last night at midnight and did a fair job clearing us out. Arlington said earlier today they were only 62% complete, so I feel pretty fortunate. I was able to get out on Sunday though since I left my car on the cross street which is a higher priority. Since I got out, I've had to park a ways away though so it was nice to get my car back to my house though.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #78: January 26, 2016, 11:25:07 PM »
I live on a short dead-end street in South Arlington, near Shirlington. I was expecting the worst, but they brought a front-end loader down this way last night at midnight and did a fair job clearing us out. Arlington said earlier today they were only 62% complete, so I feel pretty fortunate. I was able to get out on Sunday though since I left my car on the cross street which is a higher priority. Since I got out, I've had to park a ways away though so it was nice to get my car back to my house though.

You had some bad luck with your car a while back...hit an open manhole as I recall.  How did that all work out for you?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #79: January 27, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »
Turning on red is rather dangerous with the piles of snow combined with people who won't use headlights.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #80: January 27, 2016, 12:41:32 PM »
Turning on red is rather dangerous with the piles of snow combined with people who won't use headlights.
In general, turning is dangerous with the piles of snow.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #81: January 27, 2016, 12:59:40 PM »

Missus and I did a few errands this morning.    Got to a local red light on a 4 lane cross town.    Light was red but there was a pile of snow blocking the view to the left.   I had my right turn signal on.    Traffic cleared somewhat coming from the left but ya still couldn't see past the snow pile.   The person behind me honked for me to get goin'.     I pulled the seatbelt a little tighter.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #82: January 27, 2016, 02:53:47 PM »
In general, turning is dangerous with the piles of snow.

Agreed.  I pulled out onto Rt. 29 Tuesday night and couldn't see oncoming traffic but could see headlight reflections off the snow mountain at the intersection (unfortunately there was no traffic light).   I inched out and kept my fingers crossed.

Prince William Schools are closed until Tuesday (Monday is a teacher work day).

On the bright side, temps are heading for the mid-60s next week.