Author Topic: The Big Dig  (Read 3709 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: The Big Dig
« Reply #50: January 25, 2016, 08:14:17 PM »
VDOT plows came through twice in the past half hour on the street around the corner. We have two cars parked out there, both under car covers, so you can bet I was running out there making sure to clear the plow crap back off the car covers so future plows (if any) can tell there's a car there....

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #51: January 25, 2016, 08:30:42 PM »
Our Bobcat guy was makin' money hand over fist on the side.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: January 25, 2016, 08:43:33 PM »
That slick, packed snow is my entire neighborhood right now. Wife and I decided to walk to the IHOP across the street. On the way, passed several stuck cars. Looks like I'm teleworking tomorrow.

As for side streets in Arlington, has anyone seen Crystal Drive?
Crystal Drive is clear.  full width.  a few of the parking spots have snow piles, a few of the zipcars are still buried, but the BID really was all over it.  Both 18th and 20th had big piles of snow knocking out lanes, but they were trucking that stuff off this afternoon.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #53: January 25, 2016, 08:50:21 PM »
Crystal Drive is clear.  full width.  a few of the parking spots have snow piles, a few of the zipcars are still buried, but the BID really was all over it.  Both 18th and 20th had big piles of snow knocking out lanes, but they were trucking that stuff off this afternoon.

Not certain if I should know this or not...what is "BID?"

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54: January 25, 2016, 08:54:09 PM »
business improvement district.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #55: January 25, 2016, 09:00:29 PM »

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #56: January 25, 2016, 09:59:51 PM »
Well, no matter. OPM closed the Fed Govt anyway

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #57: January 25, 2016, 10:07:23 PM »
Well, no matter. OPM closed the Fed Govt anyway

It's weird. My office said unequivocally that they follow the government and that we should keep our ears peeled for what the OPM announces. But then earlier today, prior to the OPM's decision, they sent out an e-mail saying we're open. So now I don't know whether I need to set my alarm clock.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58: January 25, 2016, 10:13:27 PM »
Very weird.  WTOP locals teased that the US governemnt offices in the dc area would be closed Tuesday, but then the 10 pm CBS national news said that offices would be open.   Then TOP locals afterwards came back and said closed.  OPM's website says closed 1/26. 

Meanwhile, I think my password expired.  I was able to log on around noon, but could not get back on this afternoon or evening.   I think i need to be in the office to change the password.   will call tech support tomorrow. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #59: January 25, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »
It's weird. My office said unequivocally that they follow the government and that we should keep our ears peeled for what the OPM announces. But then earlier today, prior to the OPM's decision, they sent out an e-mail saying we're open. So now I don't know whether I need to set my alarm clock.

So did mine. freak em, OPM says you're closed

Offline mitlen

« Reply #60: January 26, 2016, 09:05:22 AM »
Very weird.  WTOP locals teased that the US governemnt offices in the dc area would be closed Tuesday, but then the 10 pm CBS national news said that offices would be open.   Then TOP locals afterwards came back and said closed.  OPM's website says closed 1/26. 

Meanwhile, I think my password expired.  I was able to log on around noon, but could not get back on this afternoon or evening.   I think i need to be in the office to change the password.   will call tech support tomorrow. 

Snowden

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #61: January 26, 2016, 09:41:33 AM »
TV reports have people really getting pissed if their side streets has not been plowed. Patience is running out.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #62: January 26, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »

Usually if you're connecting via VPN and cached credentials, you won't be able to update your password once it expires. You connect, get told to update it, and can't. As you surmised, you need IT to manually reset it for you.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: January 26, 2016, 10:05:34 AM »
TV reports have people really getting pissed if their side streets has not been plowed. Patience is running out.
They can send the plow on my street which keeps putting snow and ice in front of my driveway.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #64: January 26, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »

Stay home. Just reset it tomorrow when the govt reopens.

Can't you call. tech support from home? 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #65: January 26, 2016, 10:48:19 AM »
I see that mail delivery is supposed to resume today. Good luck to the postman.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #66: January 26, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »
I see that mail delivery is supposed to resume today. Good luck to the postman.

Our street hadn't been plowed but the mailman came yesterday.   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: January 26, 2016, 11:59:38 AM »
Our street hadn't been plowed but the mailman came yesterday.   
Mailman came the morning. Surprising since they usually come about 5 pm.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68: January 26, 2016, 12:10:08 PM »
I walked around Crystal City today.  You don't need boots. Sneakers are fine.  The west side of 23d between the underground and Bell has a lousy shoveling job and a lot of packed snow, but the east side by the restaurants, the Buchanan, and General Dynamics is fine.  Bell has a clear path from 23d to 15th, Crystal Drive is clear on both side except a small stretch between 15th to the back of the Courtyard Marriott.   You can walk up 12th to Fern with only one snowy corner.  15th back to Eads from Fern is fine, and you can go along Eads to 22d with dry feet.  22d is not plowed and is slushy, and the path between 22d and 23d is packed snow.  Have to walk on 23d back to Rte 1.  The tunnel under Route 1 has only the 23d street opening shoveled north of Rte 1.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #69: January 26, 2016, 01:30:06 PM »
Washington Post made it to OBX for the 1st time since the snow storm.

Mailman came the morning. Surprising since they usually come about 5 pm.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #70: January 26, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »
Washington Post made it to OBX for the 1st time since the snow storm.

"Germany Invades Poland"

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #71: January 26, 2016, 01:42:45 PM »
They can send the plow on my street which keeps putting snow and ice in front of my driveway.

This, I'm sick of shoveling my sidewalk

Offline Slateman

« Reply #72: January 26, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »
This, I'm sick of shoveling my sidewalk
Get a flamethrower

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #73: January 26, 2016, 08:40:25 PM »
I saw one of my neighbors hosing down his snow-covered driveway. I have no idea what he was doing. I guess he though he could melt the snow?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #74: January 26, 2016, 08:52:40 PM »
Quite a few roads out there that suddenly narrow to only a single lane wide, or two lanes but both on the same side of a double yellow.

Not to mention entrance ramps with no merge area.  Nearly got nailed this morning by a Lexus driving needledick who hurtled into my lane without a thought, fortunately I saw it coming and had room to move over a bit.