Author Topic: Washington Redskins thread (2016)  (Read 47293 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Washington Redskins thread (2016)
« Reply #250: September 13, 2016, 09:34:41 AM »
Can't wait to see Norman not cover dez next week- how in the he'll.did a corner who can only play one side of the field become the highest paid in the game?

Little Danny Snyder.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #251: September 13, 2016, 09:42:43 AM »
Have to pay me extra to play the whole field. That's a big field and quite far from one sideline to another.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #252: September 13, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »
It's funny that the "one side" play style is being mentioned now. Anyone who has watched Panthers football knows they are a zone scheme defense that relies on the pass rush to make their secondary look good. Without googling, name a CB on the Panthers right now... They shut down DT and Manny Sanders with ease last week. Norman was a product of the system. Definitely talented, but overrated if you expected him to be a shutdown man-to-man guy. Sorry.

But we have the best talent evaluator- just ask local media, he's responsible for the niners and the Seahawks

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #253: September 13, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »
But we have the best talent evaluator- just ask local media, he's responsible for the niners and the Seahawks
We turning on Scotty already?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #254: September 13, 2016, 12:41:22 PM »
Surprised it lasted this long.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #255: September 13, 2016, 12:51:57 PM »

I lost faith when he blew a top five pick on a guard

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #256: September 13, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »

I'll admit that I don't follow the team closely enough to make an informed comment, but Norman's use sounds more on coaching than FO (IMO).

Offline Slateman

« Reply #257: September 13, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
I lost faith when he blew a top five pick on a guard
lol, I said that at the time

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #258: September 13, 2016, 01:00:55 PM »
The FO hired a DC whose claim to fame was an 0-16 defense

Offline Slateman

« Reply #259: September 13, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »
The FO hired a DC whose claim to fame was an 0-16 defense
Called it when it happened. Honestly, I didn't think it could get worse than Jim Haslett but somehow it did.

The defense lacks any kind of deception to it. You know exactly what they're going to do before they do it. They rarely blitz, and when they do, it's incredibly obvious. Barry simply expects that crappy defensive line (outside of Baker) and the duo of Kerrigan and Smith to be able to get to the QB and it simply isn't enough.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #260: September 13, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »
Skins bring back Cullen Jenkins...release a reserve center

Offline Slateman

« Reply #261: September 13, 2016, 02:36:56 PM »
Not sure why they released him the first place. Still not going to help, this team needs a freaking NT in the worst way. I will never understand how you can say you're going to run a 3-4 defense and then neglect one of the most important parts of that style of defense for years.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #262: September 13, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »
Not sure why they released him the first place. Still not going to help, this team needs a freaking NT in the worst way. I will never understand how you can say you're going to run a 3-4 defense and then neglect one of the most important parts of that style of defense for years.

Was he the guy they released for cap reasons?    If he's on the roster for the first game, they would have had to pay him for the whole year?    Thus, his salary for the year would have more impact on the cap than a back up center or a 3rd string QB.   

Offline Slateman

« Reply #263: September 13, 2016, 03:00:32 PM »
Was he the guy they released for cap reasons?    If he's on the roster for the first game, they would have had to pay him for the whole year?    Thus, his salary for the year would have more impact on the cap than a back up center or a 3rd string QB.   
I dunno if it was for cap reasons. They signed him then cut him the same week, like right after the 4th pre-season game. He played pretty decently in that game IIRC.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #264: September 13, 2016, 03:03:22 PM »
I dunno if it was for cap reasons. They signed him then cut him the same week, like right after the 4th pre-season game. He played pretty decently in that game IIRC.

I thought I heard 106.7 talking about his situation with the 'skins at the time he was cut.

EDIT:    I looked him up and he was "only" scheduled to make $927K against the cap and be a UFA next year.     Doesn't seem like much of a cap issue.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #265: September 13, 2016, 03:15:34 PM »
Have to pay me extra to play the whole field. That's a big field and quite far from one sideline to another.

Gruden said today that it didn't occur to him to put Norman on Brown ...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #266: September 13, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »
Gruden said today that it didn't occur to him to put Norman on Brown ...

Breeland didn't play that bad IMHO.   He was on an "island" much of the time.    How many guys can stop Brown and Ben with the coverage the 'skins' threw at 'em?     Hell, one of the TDs the 'skins had 9 or 10 in the box to stop the run.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #267: September 13, 2016, 04:03:01 PM »
Breeland didn't play that bad IMHO.   He was on an "island" much of the time.    How many guys can stop Brown and Ben with the coverage the 'skins' threw at 'em?     Hell, one of the TDs the 'skins had 9 or 10 in the box to stop the run.
It shouldn't matter. When you pay that much for a CB, you should be able to put him on their best receiver. Breeland made a big stink about Norman's pay day. Breeland needs to step up and show that he's worth anything other than number 3 corner time

Offline mitlen

« Reply #268: September 13, 2016, 04:07:02 PM »
It shouldn't matter. When you pay that much for a CB, you should be able to put him on their best receiver. Breeland made a big stink about Norman's pay day. Breeland needs to step up and show that he's worth anything other than number 3 corner time

I don't disagree that Norman should have covered Brown.   The Steelers were down to Brown and the Famous Flameouts as a receiving corps.   Bell, Bryant, the retirement of Miller, etc. out.    Norman should have been on the biggest passing threat.    I don't know about the "politics" of the 'skins signing Norman but I don't think Breeland was that bad.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #269: September 13, 2016, 04:31:15 PM »

That doesn't even begin to address the big issues they have up the middle with no real NT and suspect ILB's. The entire DL sucks. For that matter, the front 7 has glaring issues. Kerrigan gets a lot of hype ut he's just barely above average (ask Slateman what that means :stir:). Even on the play he did make he ended up getting stripped of the ball right after recovering the fumble. That was a huge turning point in the game.

Not sure why they released him the first place.

If a veteran makes your 53 man opening roster his contract is guaranteed for the entire year so they released him hoping he could be brought back after week 1. That happened to Will Blackmon last season and that was how the Redskins were able to sign him.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #270: September 13, 2016, 04:36:18 PM »
If a veteran makes your 53 man opening roster his contract is guaranteed for the entire year so they released him hoping he could be brought back after week 1. That happened to Will Blackmon last season and that was how the Redskins were able to sign him.

This. Mit was right about the contract potential savings, since he can be cut again, with the only loss being the game check.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #271: September 13, 2016, 04:36:34 PM »
That doesn't even begin to address the big issues they have up the middle with no real NT and suspect ILB's. The entire DL sucks. For that matter, the front 7 has glaring issues. Kerrigan gets a lot of hype ut he's just barely above average (ask Slateman what that means :stir:). Even on the play he did make he ended up getting stripped of the ball right after recovering the fumble. That was a huge turning point in the game.

Glad you showed up while you're waitin' for Uber.    I'm lookin' forward to your game recap.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #272: September 13, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »

Breeland wasn't that bad. He went up against elite talent without the benefit of a pass rush. No CB, no matter how great he may be, can cover for extended periods of time and especially when he's going up against probably the best WR in football and an elite QB. The team was not well prepared across the board. When pittsburgh went for the 4th and 1 I told my brother what the play was going to be and yet D'Angelo Hall was still caught taking a step inside looking for the run and wasn't able to get back to help deep. Breeland was right there on the play but the pass and catch were exceptional.

The biggest culprit of the loss was Kirk Cousins. He was utter crap early on and set the tone for what took place. This game was about the QB's. Brown is great but it's Roethlisberger who makes him what he is. Roethlisberger is just an elite talent and Cousins is not. Cousins showed no pocket presence and looked lost against the steelers defense and was looking to get rid of the ball as soon as possible by dumping the ball off on short routes. He looked like a deer in the headlights and was often stepping backwards instead of looking to step up into the pocket to make good reads and good throws. The first interception he threw was the exact same play that got him benched in 2014 against Tennessee. Two years later and he still got fooled by the same coverage. :smh: There was also a throw on 3rd down where he clearly threw the ball away to avoid throwing another pick when he wasn't even getting rushed.

contrast that with the fearless and supremely confident way Roethlisberger plays and you see why the game ended the way it did.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #273: September 13, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »

Breeland wasn't that bad. He went up against elite talent without the benefit of a pass rush. No CB, no matter how great he may be, can cover for extended periods of time and especially when he's going up against probably the best WR in football and an elite QB. The team was not well prepared across the board. When pittsburgh went for the 4th and 1 I told my brother what the play was going to be and yet D'Angelo Hall was still caught taking a step inside looking for the run and wasn't able to get back to help deep. Breeland was right there on the play but the pass and catch were exceptional.

The biggest culprit of the loss was Kirk Cousins. He was utter crap early on and set the tone for what took place. This game was about the QB's. Brown is great but it's Roethlisberger who makes him what he is. Roethlisberger is just an elite talent and Cousins is not. Cousins showed no pocket presence and looked lost against the steelers defense and was looking to get rid of the ball as soon as possible by dumping the ball off on short routes. He looked like a deer in the headlights and was often stepping backwards instead of looking to step up into the pocket to make good reads and good throws. The first interception he threw was the exact same play that got him benched in 2014 against Tennessee. Two years later and he still got fooled by the same coverage. :smh: There was also a throw on 3rd down where he clearly threw the ball away to avoid throwing another pick when he wasn't even getting rushed.

contrast that with the fearless and supremely confident way Roethlisberger plays and you see why the game ended the way it did.

I agree 100% with this (highlighted).    Plaxico was supposed to be all that.   Holmes was supposed to be all that.    Sanders was supposed to be all that.     Wallace was supposed to be all that.    How'd they do with their new teams (other than shooting himself like Plexiglass)?    Who could have made Ward an all-pro/HOFer?     Hell, he even made Randle-El look good.    Ben is the constant with all these guys.    I'll admit Bettis made it an easier passing game but Ben is better than Brees and some of the other over-rated QBs.      Did I say, "I'm biased."?      :)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #274: September 14, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »

This is about spot on.

Breeland has had better games but end of the day he was on an elite WR and got no help with the pass rush or safeties. Redskins run defense is about as expected. The pass rush has to get home and help the coverage out. Skins need to be heck on passing offenses to make up for running game. Offense just wasn't ready for prime time. Wouldn't be surprised if that was our worst offensive performance of the season when we look back in a couple months.

Win this weekend and we're back in business.