Author Topic: A win is a win is a win...but  (Read 1267 times)

bramos

A win is a win is a win...but
« Topic Start: August 03, 2005, 10:15:01 PM »
We still have a problem scoring runs.  3 got it done tonight, but on most nights, and against a more potent offense, we would be short.  Bowden says he is strongly considering his options from within the system.  He seems to have singled out Castilla as a prime candidate to be replaced.  It's a start.  But Jim, don't forget about the guy in CF masquerading as a leadoff hitter.

Nationalzfanatic88

« Reply #1: August 03, 2005, 10:24:01 PM »
Why is everyone hating on Wilkerson, he's a great leadoff hitter, striking out is something that can be improved upon!! and besides wat about guzman!!

Offline esoteric

« Reply #2: August 03, 2005, 10:27:21 PM »
Quote from: "Nationalzfanatic88"
Why is everyone hating on Wilkerson, he's a great leadoff hitter, striking out is something that can be improved upon!! and besides wat about guzman!!

Nobody is going to give you an argument about Guzman.  (Well, except me.  He's my personal hero! GUUUUUZ!)  But Wilkerson strikes out SO MUCH that having him bat leadoff seems perverse, given that the goal of a leadoff man is to get on base.

natslive

« Reply #3: August 03, 2005, 10:39:07 PM »
I know Wilson hit the HR but makes way too many mental mistakes (like getting picked off tonight).......also can someone explain why you have Wilkerson bunt after Ayala got the hit? which made Frank look like a genius - I thought he should have pinch hit someone else if he was taking Armas out of the game... I know we are trying to get every run from our meager offense but I would rather have seen Wilkerson hit away.......and I wish Guillen would quit swinging for the fences everytime he's up at RFK......but as this thread says a win is a win

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #4: August 04, 2005, 12:54:19 AM »
Quote from: "Nationalzfanatic88"

Would you like to borrow a pair of glasses? Where have you been the last four years? In 2002, Wilkerson struke out 161 times, in 2003, he fanned 155 times, last season it was 152 times, and so far this season, he's whiffed 109 times and on pace to strike out 168 times. Don't you think if it could have been improved upon, it would have been by now? How long does it take for people to open their eyes and see Wilkerson is a strike out artist and has no business leading off... As for Guzman, the less sad about him the better...

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: August 04, 2005, 12:56:05 AM »
Quote from: "natslive"
I know Wilson hit the HR but makes way too many mental mistakes (like getting picked off tonight).......

Don't worry, he wont be back next season... And if we're lucky, neither will Wilkerson, Castilla, Guzman and Vidro

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: August 04, 2005, 09:46:32 AM »
willkerson is not a great leadoff hitter, but he does draw walks and get on base.  it is strange that someone could walk and strike out so frequently.  its like he has patience and a good eye, but cant hit strikes.  he should just tone it down and slap a ball or two foul

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7: August 04, 2005, 09:47:30 AM »
and stop swinging at balls at his shoulders. which seems to be the only balls he chases, however frequently