Author Topic: Cycling in 2016  (Read 8099 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Cycling in 2016
« Reply #125: September 20, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
Organizers join forces to bring bike racing to Richmond and Colorado

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_52de27fb-a86b-592a-b65f-5981e609aa1b.html

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #126: September 20, 2016, 02:08:32 PM »
They're factory seconds.

I've never seen a manufacturer willing to package factory seconds without marking them as seconds or non-returnable- everything I've gotten from them has been in the same packaging you see anywhere else

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #127: September 20, 2016, 09:18:51 PM »
I've never seen a manufacturer willing to package factory seconds without marking them as seconds or non-returnable- everything I've gotten from them has been in the same packaging you see anywhere else

You must need be too familiar with cycling parts and production.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #128: September 20, 2016, 09:33:55 PM »
You must need be too familiar with cycling parts and production.

:shrug: in that case, no reason not to buy from them, buy local, and return the cheap part to the local store

My guess is that it has more to do with not having to pay a vat and enforced msrp being illegal in the uk and a strong dollar

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #129: September 20, 2016, 10:06:09 PM »
You're not lugging around an extra 140lbs...
Do you apologize to your chamois shorts when you pull them on in the morning?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #130: September 20, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
The Italian frame I bought from Sierra was still in the original manufacturers' carton, packed full of wadded up titty mags from Torino for cushioning  :lol:

You don't get 600 nipples from some Lutheran LBS owner in St Olaf, Minnesota

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #131: September 21, 2016, 09:22:15 AM »
:shrug: in that case, no reason not to buy from them, buy local, and return the cheap part to the local store

My guess is that it has more to do with not having to pay a vat and enforced msrp being illegal in the uk and a strong dollar

Maybe, I had a DuraAce Di2 front dérailleur I bought from them die and Shimano wouldn't warranty it.  The cassette I bought from my local shop started getting shark teeth and Shimano not only sent me a replacement but sent me the DuraAce version instead of Ultegra.  Besides, what's $20 or $30 on a $600 groupset if it keeps the guys that keep my bikes running employed?   This race to the bottom for cheap crap is great if you're a good bike mechanic and don't like people, not so much if you don't have the skills or like having someone that can fix things for you without a wait.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #132: September 21, 2016, 09:36:28 AM »
:D
The Italian frame I bought from Sierra was still in the original manufacturers' carton, packed full of wadded up titty mags from Torino for cushioning  :lol:

You don't get 600 nipples from some Lutheran LBS owner in St Olaf, Minnesota

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #133: September 21, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »
Maybe, I had a DuraAce Di2 front dérailleur I bought from them die and Shimano wouldn't warranty it.  The cassette I bought from my local shop started getting shark teeth and Shimano not only sent me a replacement but sent me the DuraAce version instead of Ultegra.  Besides, what's $20 or $30 on a $600 groupset if it keeps the guys that keep my bikes running employed?   This race to the bottom for cheap crap is great if you're a good bike mechanic and don't like people, not so much if you don't have the skills or like having someone that can fix things for you without a wait.

Your not covered under warranty because the warranty is through Shimono north America or shimano USA- you bought from a uk distributor. If you brought your bike to Denmark and put in a warranty claim, anything from Minnesota would rely on the company feeling nice. For $20 on a couple of hundred it's worth it to buy local,but for bigger price differences, it's the same reason amazon and Wal-Mart are killing mom and pops- the same product for far cheaper with less service is a worthwhile trade off for most people

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #134: September 21, 2016, 10:20:48 AM »
Your not covered under warranty because the warranty is through Shimono north America or shimano USA- you bought from a uk distributor. If you brought your bike to Denmark and put in a warranty claim, anything from Minnesota would rely on the company feeling nice. For $20 on a couple of hundred it's worth it to buy local,but for bigger price differences, it's the same reason amazon and Wal-Mart are killing mom and pops- the same product for far cheaper with less service is a worthwhile trade off for most people

I didn't submit it here in the States - I sent it back with a coworker that's in the UK and they still denied it when he submitted the claim so now I have a $200 front derailleur that doesn't work with my Di2 shifters.  Wiggle is selling OEM components that come in completes, which isn't allowed in NA and isn't covered by Shimano.  Honestly, you aren't saving much on a full groupset going with Wiggle over a local shop unless you have a full mechanics setup and know how to do the work yourself.  If I'm spending $5K on bike (what I spent on my touring rig) I'd much rather have one of the guys I know and trust put it together and work to get things warrantied than save $200 or so bucks buying components from Wiggle and Amazon and then having to ask them to install them. 

You're only replacing groupsets maybe once every 5,000 miles so I don't see any utility in saving a few bucks when it's the things you can't buy online (service, warranty issues) that your local shop offers.  Again, if you're a good enough bike mechanic and have all of the tools at your disposal, you might think otherwise, but trust me things come up that only someone that works on bikes day-in and day-out would know.   But you seem to have all the answers.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #135: September 21, 2016, 10:59:20 AM »
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/all-over-the-map-the-truth-behind-global-shifts-in-component-pricing/

Here's the pricing explained. I plan on replacing the front half of my groupset (I hate my front derauler with a passion), I'll buy the bottom bracket locally because I don't have the tools or knowledge to install it, but I'll buy the rest online and install it myself- if a part fails, it's not the end of the world- online will still self warranty, and the risk isn't worth paying double

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #136: September 21, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »
Good luck with that.  Saving a few buck on that Di2 that failed was enough for me to never buy from WIggle again.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #137: September 26, 2016, 12:28:07 PM »
Everyone always says try a saddle before you buy, but does anywhere around here actually carry demo saddles? At this point, I'm thinking of just ordering the ones that I want to try and can find on prime, then just returning them

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #138: September 26, 2016, 12:35:36 PM »
Question for the gear heads: I've got a little room in the budget to start shopping for the road bike I've wanted for a while now. I've found a 2007 Specialized Allez on Craigslist in my budget and would be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. The only thing is that it's a 61 cm frame. I'm 5' 10" and all the calculations I've done say I should get a 56 or 58 cm frame. My question is: how big of an issue will that be for me if I go a little big on the frame? Everything else checks out in terms of what I'm looking for.
Not going after this one. I've got a friend who i think is going to be willing to sell me his Allez Sport. He said the frame size was a medium, which best I can tell is probably 56cm. That'd put it a touch on the small size but should work. We're similar dimentionally.

• babble on
« Reply #139: September 26, 2016, 05:32:03 PM »
As long as a few inches of the seatpost are solidly anchored inside the frame you should be good to go with that.  No no-go zone should be etched on the post. 
Not going after this one. I've got a friend who i think is going to be willing to sell me his Allez Sport. He said the frame size was a medium, which best I can tell is probably 56cm. That'd put it a touch on the small size but should work. We're similar dimentionally.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #140: September 29, 2016, 10:14:35 AM »
I was checking recalls on another product and found this.    Heads up in case any of yunz are affected.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/Advanced-Sports-International-Recalls

• babble on
« Reply #141: September 29, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »
Crap, reminds me - I've got like 7 or 8 active recalls on my car  :? 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #142: September 29, 2016, 01:43:48 PM »
All American in Damascus Maryland has test ride saddles that they'll let you fit up and ride around.

I know it's nowhere near you.

Everyone always says try a saddle before you buy, but does anywhere around here actually carry demo saddles? At this point, I'm thinking of just ordering the ones that I want to try and can find on prime, then just returning them

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #143: September 29, 2016, 02:21:47 PM »
I was checking recalls on another product and found this.    Heads up in case any of yunz are affected.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/Advanced-Sports-International-Recalls
my Fuji absolute 1.7 is from 2014, but yes, I'm nervous no.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #144: September 29, 2016, 03:33:47 PM »
my Fuji absolute 1.7 is from 2014, but yes, I'm nervous no.

Missus wanted/and bought one of those exploding Samsung washers last year.    Keepin' an eye on 'em for recall info.

• babble on
« Reply #145: September 29, 2016, 03:56:08 PM »
A barrel bomb in every basement!
Missus wanted/and bought one of those exploding Samsung washers last year.    Keepin' an eye on 'em for recall info.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #146: September 29, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »
A barrel bomb in every basement!

Pretty much.    :)

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #147: October 16, 2016, 12:09:49 PM »
After heading out at six this morning, definitely time to invest in gloves and a decent soft shell

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #148: October 19, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
Pulled the trigger on this. Will be showing up sometime next week. Might be a touch small, but looking forward to finally getting one of these. Only been waiting for about 7 years to finally be able to afford it...

• babble on
« Reply #149: October 19, 2016, 07:11:03 PM »
Cool, have fun on it.  I've had a couple of Specialized bikes over the years and they were very good to me.