Author Topic: Cycling in 2016  (Read 8168 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Cycling in 2016
« Reply #100: August 05, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »
As someone who uses strava for runs, segments mostly make sense to me- usually reasonable length somewhere where lots of people run- for cycling it just seems suicidal - I can't believe the road where the mount Vernon trail merges with general traffic is a segment - kom goes to the biggest idiot?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #101: August 05, 2016, 03:15:38 PM »
As someone who uses strava for runs, segments mostly make sense to me- usually reasonable length somewhere where lots of people run- for cycling it just seems suicidal - I can't believe the road where the mount Vernon trail merges with general traffic is a segment - kos goes to the biggest idiot?

Usually those are "hidden" and there's no KOM/QOM. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #102: August 05, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »
I have one of those.  They weigh nothing.  It took me a long time to get past the price tag, but mein gott is it worth it.     
New helmet fits like a glove, was on sale, and is light as a fear.  Bonus points that it looks cool:

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #103: August 05, 2016, 09:16:20 PM »
My fears are never light.

New helmet fits like a glove, was on sale, and is light as a fear.  Bonus points that it looks cool:

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #104: August 20, 2016, 11:24:05 AM »
Talk about a group in Richmond bringing in a UCI race next year.  Not clear if this will be a stage race or a classic, and what time of the year.  Last year's world championship drew 645,000 visitors.  There may be some linkage to a group that wants to bring back a stage race in Colorado.
http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_3eeb090f-f513-5ca8-8e4c-5c1937c2bc87.html

The Colorado race would be a stage race with a hub and spoke format, like the Tour Down Under.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/08/usa-pro-cycling-challenge/momentum-building-for-new-colorado-tour_418487

First day of the Vuelta, too.

While I'm at it, in terms of transfers, Bora has taken on Sagan and his crew from Tinkoff, plus Magnus Brughardt, but Trek-Segafredo went on a signing binge:
Trek – Segafredo

John Degenkolb (leaves Giant – Alpecin)
Mads Pedersen (leaves Stolting Service Group)
Koen de Kort (leaves Giant – Alpecin)
Gregory Daniel (leaves Axeon Hagens Berman)
Ruben Guerreiro (leaves Axeon Hagens Berman)
Alberto Contador (leaves Tinkoff)
Jarlinson Pantano (leaves IAM Cycling)
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/08/news/riding-guide-2017-transfers_418502

May have to make a Domane my next purchase so I can feel legit in one of the Trek-Segafredo kits.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #105: August 22, 2016, 01:11:30 PM »

May have to make a Domane my next purchase so I can feel legit in one of the Trek-Segafredo kits.

You should definitely test ride one. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106: August 22, 2016, 05:39:57 PM »
By the way, that list of riders includes the 2016 US National Road Race winner (Daniel), plus the best grand tour cyclist post-Armstrong (Contador), one of my favs / winner of two of the biggest annual one-day races in 2015 (Degenkolb), and one of the two big break through riders from this year's tour.  This is like the NYY's spending spree in the 2008-09 off season, except I can't imagine they had that much free cash. 

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #107: August 22, 2016, 05:55:32 PM »
Biking is fun, but to spend the bucks to get a properly kitted Domane...... maybe if I didn't own a car and a bike was going to be only mode of transportation or competitive at your local bike races I'd spend that kinda money I would consider one. I bet they are great! My co-workers boyfriend who is in his early 70s finishes in the top 5 in his age range and he's got at least 5 or 6 bikes worth $20k each. Dude has a limited edition Bentley Continental Super Sports too so he's got the cash to burn.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #108: August 22, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »
A top of the line bike is a fraction of the initiation fee at a decent golf course

• babble on
« Reply #109: August 22, 2016, 08:48:46 PM »
You can buy a pro-quality used bike (Colnago, De Rosa, Pinarello) in very good shape on eBay for <2k (and less if you are willing to tolerate chipped paint, etc).  Reputable sellers probably won't risk selling a bike with undisclosed real damage.  Nothing really important has happened in bike design since brake lever shifters IMHO (I think CF frames are fine but I'm quite happy with steel or aluminum, and nothing looks cooler than a pro-quality steel frame with nice cutouts in the lugwork). 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #110: August 22, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »
Not necessarily willing to go clipless - thinking of these, http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-saint-mx80-flat-pedals/
Am I just delaying the inevitable before I go clipless, or is it possible to getsonething better than stock nylon?

• babble on
« Reply #111: August 22, 2016, 09:18:24 PM »
I have a pair of Shimano flat/spd pedals I retired because I never used the flat side and they had a lot less cornering clearance than full spd pedals.  I'll mail them to you if you want them, otherwise I'll just leave them on the sidewalk next to the bikestore on my block (where I put all surplus bike crap).  I don't think they'll take toe clips though.
Not necessarily willing to go clipless - thinking of these, http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-saint-mx80-flat-pedals/
Am I just delaying the inevitable before I go clipless, or is it possible to getsonething better than stock nylon?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #112: August 23, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »
Biking is fun, but to spend the bucks to get a properly kitted Domane......

They have versions at different price points, the low end (which I have) is under $2k fully equipped, and is a very nice ride.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #113: September 08, 2016, 01:36:03 AM »
Best wishes to MDS. Hope you heal up quick.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #114: September 08, 2016, 10:44:08 AM »
Best wishes to MDS. Hope you heal up quick.

Thanks.  Consider I was going 15mph and forgot my helmet at home I didn't come out of the crash too bad.  Left side of my face and left thigh are both one big bruise and my neck hurts from whiplash bouncing off the concrete but I don't have a concussion and none of my teeth or bones are broken.  Bike has a couple of things bent or broken but nothing major.  Fortunately I went down right by the employee entrance at Target Field as everyone was coming in to get things setup so I got attended to quickly.   After 20,000 miles of riding, most of it in major US cities, I knew I'd finally have a crash like this.  Just glad my hip took the brunt of the impact instead of my face or I'd have a broken orbital bone.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #115: September 08, 2016, 10:46:05 AM »
Helmet is definitely cruical. Glad you only skinned up your face.

On a separate note... took my first spin class today. About killed me. Would rather own a bike but right now the work paid for gym membership is the best I can do.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #116: September 08, 2016, 12:28:01 PM »
Thanks.  Consider I was going 15mph and forgot my helmet at home I didn't come out of the crash too bad.  Left side of my face and left thigh are both one big bruise and my neck hurts from whiplash bouncing off the concrete but I don't have a concussion and none of my teeth or bones are broken.  Bike has a couple of things bent or broken but nothing major.  Fortunately I went down right by the employee entrance at Target Field as everyone was coming in to get things setup so I got attended to quickly.   After 20,000 miles of riding, most of it in major US cities, I knew I'd finally have a crash like this.  Just glad my hip took the brunt of the impact instead of my face or I'd have a broken orbital bone.

Heal quickly bro.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117: September 08, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »
Thanks.  Consider I was going 15mph and forgot my helmet at home I didn't come out of the crash too bad. 
Sorry man.  Glad your bones are intact and you aren't concussed, but the phrase "road rash" really understates how it feels to scrape off a lot of skin. 

I had a fall as a kid where I scraped up nearly half my face and was concussed. My folks were away and my grandparents were taking care of me.  It took 3 or 4 weeks for the skin to look normal again.  Folks didn't see the worst of it so they did not go ballistic when they came back.

• babble on
« Reply #118: September 08, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »
Wow.  Glad no cars were involved.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #119: September 08, 2016, 05:05:42 PM »
As long as the noggin is ok- could have been worse, hope you get better soon

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #120: September 20, 2016, 11:07:18 AM »
Question for the gear heads: I've got a little room in the budget to start shopping for the road bike I've wanted for a while now. I've found a 2007 Specialized Allez on Craigslist in my budget and would be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. The only thing is that it's a 61 cm frame. I'm 5' 10" and all the calculations I've done say I should get a 56 or 58 cm frame. My question is: how big of an issue will that be for me if I go a little big on the frame? Everything else checks out in terms of what I'm looking for.

• babble on
« Reply #121: September 20, 2016, 11:12:43 AM »
That's a big frame.  If you can straddle the top tube with your feet flat on the ground, it's rideable though (if not optimal).  If you need to stand on your tiptoes--even a little bit--don't do it (take it from one who learned this lesson the hard way).   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #122: September 20, 2016, 11:17:16 AM »
Anyone else wonder how wiggle can be so cheap? For the price of tubes and tire at spokes, I can add in some ultegra calipers - even Amazon seems high by comparison

• babble on
« Reply #123: September 20, 2016, 11:23:48 AM »
Sierra Trading Post has some really good deals on bike stuff.  Their inventory can be a bit of a dog's breakfast (discontinued models, etc), but I've bought a couple of assault bikes and a sweet Italian road frame from them. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #124: September 20, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »
Anyone else wonder how wiggle can be so cheap? For the price of tubes and tire at spokes, I can add in some ultegra calipers - even Amazon seems high by comparison

They're factory seconds.

My question is: how big of an issue will that be for me if I go a little big on the frame? Everything else checks out in terms of what I'm looking for.

You wouldn't be able to ride it.  That frame is way too big and there's no way to shrink the stack or reach enough for your height.