Author Topic: Cycling in 2016  (Read 8197 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Cycling in 2016
« Reply #75: July 06, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
Ali, MDS - what do you think of gravel bikes generally? 

There's a Ridley that got good reviews on velonews listed < $1600
http://velonews.competitor.com/bike-review/2016/05/ridley-x-trail-alloy_408313?resultspage=1&type%5B0%5D=gravel&price_range%5B0%5D=all&gender%5B0%5D=all&brand%5B0%5D=all&product_search

I don't need to get rid of Mr. Fuji (2014 Absolute 1.7), but the hand-numbing when I go > 30 miles is a bit of a drag.  Also thinking that I may want to move Mr. Fuji to New Hampshire and get something different for locals.

FWIW, I try to do 35 - 55 miles a day on my off days on Mr. Fuji, and at least 3 days a week of 14 miles or so in segments on the CaBi Bixis.  target is maybe doing the W&OD back and forth this fall.  I have friends who have made noises about longer trips, like the ride between Pittsburgh and Washington, and another one who is trying to convince me to do a multiday ride in Israel this fall or next.

If your hands are going numb you have a fit issue and probably need a fitting and some adjustments to the bike (i.e. shorter or longer stem, different bar, raise of lower saddle...etc.).  Ridley bikes are ok but that kind of bike is really overkill for your purposes and is the worst of all worlds (aluminum, half road half cross geometry, only mounts are for two water bottles) but it does have a decent groupset, still I wouldn't recommend it.  If you're looking for a bike to do longer rides on without breaking the bank and want to buy new I'd go with any of these:

Salsa Fargo (http://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo) - great touring bike, relaxed geometry, three different versions with the SRAM X9 (mid-line) a steal at $2,300.
Salsa Marrakesh (http://salsacycles.com/bikes/marrakesh) - You can run it with a flat or drop bar, tons of mounts for gear, and a deal on a steel disc bike.
All-City Spacehorse (http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/space_horse) - Non-disc steel touring bike, the green is really nice, and come with a decent Shimano groupset.
All-City Macho Man Disc (http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/macho_man_disc) - Cross bike geometry, Shimano 105 groupset, and a solid value. Not good for touring though (few mounts).
Trek 520 (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/adventure-touring-bikes/520/520/p/1432000-2016) - Similar to the Spacehorse but a bit more relaxed.
Surly Disc Trucker (http://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker) - Steel frame, relaxed geometry, budget priced groupset, tons of mounts for touring.
Surly Ogre (http://surlybikes.com/bikes/ogre) - Steel, MTB geometry (more upright), disc or Canti brake compatible, tons of mounts for touring, complete build is ok..

I actually have the Ogre as my main bike now (upgrade group set and wheelset) and really love it, though it is a little slow and heavy.  If you're looking to ride longer distances and have to carry gear with you (clothes, food, camping gear) it's an easy bike to love since the geometry is very relaxed and the bike handles heavy loads really well.  Again, it's pretty heavy once you load it down (all bikes will be) but it's a very smooth and forgiving frame that absorbs a ton of shocks from uneven roads, gravel, and dirt.  You can run a ton of different tire sizes on it as well with fenders (soemthing few frames can do) so if you want to do gravel, single track, snow, or sand you can. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #76: July 06, 2016, 01:16:53 PM »
There's a small company in Annapolis that supplies framesets and components. As I understand it, the framesets are out of the same factories that make Surly and others. Might be of interest. I've seen a couple. They are beautiful framesets.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/about-velo-orange

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #77: July 06, 2016, 05:49:50 PM »
One negative about that Ridley is the mechanical disc brakes...I'd get hydraulic if one were going with disc brakes, otherwise you are really just better off with rim brakes (calipers or cantilevers).  Hydraulic disc brakes are heavy but brake really well in wet and cold, whereas mechanical discs are just heavy. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #78: July 06, 2016, 11:18:42 PM »
I've got a soft spot for Ridley because I have a Lotto-Soudal cap.  :lmao:

Seriously, I'm guessing tomorrow is a stage for Greipel.  Really happy about today. GvA, Degenkolb, and Stybar have been my favorites for a while

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79: July 13, 2016, 04:34:28 PM »
An article on a Detroit-based start up that is building bikes for bikeshare programs and moving into retail.
Detroit-Made Bicycles Are Taking Over Bike-Share Programs

Also, if you are into racing, yesterday's TdF stage (10) had an awesome finish.  A bunch of high-quality pros were in a breakaway for much of the race - Sagan, Matthews, van Avermaet, Boassen-Hagen, Impey, Sammie Demoulin . . .

This has been memorable tour to watch.  Stage 7 had the 1 kilometer inflatable sign collapse on a rider and block the peleton, Stage 9 finished in a hailstorm - just some crazy stuff. Hairy descent off 6000' mountains.  Tomorrow has a huge stage with the climb up Mount Ventoux, a classic high peak denuded of trees over the years in the Provence.  Arlington Cinema and Draft house will be showing it on the big screen.

• babble on
« Reply #80: July 14, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
Froome pulled a total Eddy Merckx yesterday  :shock:
An article on a Detroit-based start up that is building bikes for bikeshare programs and moving into retail.
Detroit-Made Bicycles Are Taking Over Bike-Share Programs

Also, if you are into racing, yesterday's TdF stage (10) had an awesome finish.  A bunch of high-quality pros were in a breakaway for much of the race - Sagan, Matthews, van Avermaet, Boassen-Hagen, Impey, Sammie Demoulin . . .

This has been memorable tour to watch.  Stage 7 had the 1 kilometer inflatable sign collapse on a rider and block the peleton, Stage 9 finished in a hailstorm - just some crazy stuff. Hairy descent off 6000' mountains.  Tomorrow has a huge stage with the climb up Mount Ventoux, a classic high peak denuded of trees over the years in the Provence.  Arlington Cinema and Draft house will be showing it on the big screen.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: July 14, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »
Froome pulled a total Eddy Merckx yesterday  :shock:
I'd say unbelievable, but this Tour has had so many crazy things happen.  Frankly, I think he's lucky the Ventoux stage was shortened because he spent a lot to gain 11 seconds on Quintana.  by the way, even if Ventoux is only going to be 15 km, the last 9+ of it is at an average 9.6% gradient.  I suspect Henao is going to have to save Froome's butt. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #82: July 31, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
Ended up with a trek domane - I absolutely love it - going from a cruiser it just flies (and it's more comfortable)

• babble on
« Reply #83: July 31, 2016, 02:47:10 PM »
That's like going from a Trabant to a Tesla!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84: July 31, 2016, 04:07:44 PM »
Ended up with a trek domane - I absolutely love it - going from a cruiser it just flies (and it's more comfortable)
envious.  Which model?  Used or new?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #85: July 31, 2016, 05:00:46 PM »
envious.  Which model?  Used or new?

Just a 2- aluminum frame with tiagra - New, but a decent sale at spokes

• babble on
« Reply #86: July 31, 2016, 06:59:48 PM »
Just looked it up - that's a good deal.  The wheels in particular are good for the price.

Also really good gearing - 50/34 with 11/32 in back is good for this area unless you are Tom Boonen or MDS.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #87: August 03, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »

Chamois shorts ($20-$200, I use Canari gel shorts which are $45 a pair)

My ass loves these things- got them yesterday and ended up going twice as long as I planned

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #88: August 03, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »
My ass loves these things- got them yesterday and ended up going twice as long as I planned

The Canari gel?  They're great but they don't last very long.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #89: August 03, 2016, 04:07:30 PM »
The Canari gel?  They're great but they don't last very long.

Yep, it doesn't seem like much associated with cycling lasts long

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #90: August 03, 2016, 04:20:08 PM »
Yep, it doesn't seem like much associated with cycling lasts long

Anything you actually use doesn't last for long unless it's actual durable equipment.  Chains, cassettes, tires, and clothing are going to wear out quick if you use them regularly, especially chamois shorts since they're constantly rubbing over a hard saddle.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #91: August 03, 2016, 04:25:41 PM »

:thumbs:

Smooth, vibration reduced ride.  What model?  I have the low end one, but it's still a great bike.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #92: August 03, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »
:thumbs:

Smooth, vibration reduced ride.  What model?  I have the low end one, but it's still a great bike.

Domane 2, low end of their high end old man bike

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #93: August 03, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »
Domane 2, low end of their high end old man bike

That's what I have.  Bought it at Spokes in Vienna though picked it up at their Fairfax shop.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #94: August 03, 2016, 04:54:05 PM »
I got it at spokes belle view- after how they treated my daughter getting her first bike, we plan on staying loyal to them

• babble on
« Reply #95: August 03, 2016, 05:28:51 PM »
Pfffft.  I get 10,000 miles out of a drivetrain.  But I also bought a $100 jug of Boeshield and a Park workstand, so one could argue that this is a false economy. 

Actually the missus gave me the workstand for my birthday one year, but details. 
Anything you actually use doesn't last for long unless it's actual durable equipment.  Chains, cassettes, tires,

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #96: August 03, 2016, 10:38:06 PM »
Pfffft.  I get 10,000 miles out of a drivetrain.  But I also bought a $100 jug of Boeshield and a Park workstand, so one could argue that this is a false economy. 

Actually the missus gave me the workstand for my birthday one year, but details. 

You're not lugging around an extra 140lbs...

• babble on
« Reply #97: August 03, 2016, 11:34:31 PM »
Well, after that sanctimonious sermon of mine, I just ordered some new wheels rather than repack the bearings in the OE hubs of my daily ride.  I feel dirty...I should probably go on a bender and eat scrambled eggs off of a hooker's ass in a coked-out frenzy to get this out of my system so I can go back to obsessing over trivial bike maintenance. 
You're not lugging around an extra 140lbs...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: August 04, 2016, 08:32:44 AM »
I'm hoping for lousy weather Saturday AM so I don't feel guilty trying to watch the Olympic men's road race instead of being out riding. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #99: August 05, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »
New helmet fits like a glove, was on sale, and is light as a fear.  Bonus points that it looks cool: