Author Topic: Cycling in 2016  (Read 8196 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Cycling in 2016
« Reply #25: January 30, 2016, 10:36:05 PM »
Shocked!  Well, not really.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #27: February 24, 2016, 09:23:10 PM »
Maybe just enough battery to capture some braking energy to help with acceleration?  It would have to be a small motor in the bottom bracket hub and batteries maybe in the tubes...

http://deadspin.com/cyclist-caught-using-illegal-motor-in-bike-1756145163

It actually happened

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: February 25, 2016, 08:16:49 AM »
Dayumn
I expected a cameo by MDS.

7.2 miles, 14% gradient average, 48% max.  4 PSI in his tires. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31: April 14, 2016, 04:57:12 PM »
So, who took the winner of Paris-Roubaix in their pool? 

I had a pool a few years ago when I took Degenkolb as Stannard's replacement when Stannard got hurt in the Ronde.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #32: April 14, 2016, 05:37:45 PM »
I thought Boonen had it for sure. 
So, who took the winner of Paris-Roubaix in their pool? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: April 14, 2016, 05:43:14 PM »
I thought Boonen had it for sure. 
Boassen-Haagen was in better form and is faster now. 

Also thought Sky had it sewn up when they had 4 guys out front in the lead group.

Would have been more interesting if Spartacus and Sagan had been able to stay together.  I think they had it down to 30 seconds before . . .

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: April 28, 2016, 02:11:38 PM »
Dropped Mr Fuji off at Spokes Tuesday night for a tune up and some obvious problems.  Front shifter had stopped working, sticking me in my middle gear of my front triple.  Also, I wanted a longer stemmed inner tube on my front tire (granted I could swap it myself, but what the heck, bringing it in . . .).  I knew I had been not cleaning the chain well and probably should not have been oiling it without cleaning :couch:  The tech took a look at the spring for the front derailleur and saw it was rusted pretty well, and measured out the chain to see that it had stretched a lot.  said I should replace the chain and the back cassette too since it had become worn due to the chain.  He's going to try to get the rust off the spring, but, all tolled, I'm putting about $360 into the bike that only cost about $660 to begin with 2 years and <3000 miles ago. Should be like new, but I think I'm an idiot a bit on the rear cassette.  More important is I've got to learn to take better care of the chain and the gears.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #35: April 28, 2016, 02:25:51 PM »
You are as bad as me...I dropped $2k on my 15 year old $16k motorcycle this month.  "Routine" maintenance for the most part.  I guess all things go south eventually.

• babble on
« Reply #36: April 28, 2016, 02:49:55 PM »
At least the front chainrings weren't shot.  That happens pretty easily once chain stretch has reached a certain point.  They start to get a shark fin shape and then the chain starts to skip or grab, by which time the whole drivetrain is hosed.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37: April 28, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »
At least the front chainrings weren't shot.  That happens pretty easily once chain stretch has reached a certain point.  They start to get a shark fin shape and then the chain starts to skip or grab, by which time the whole drivetrain is hosed.   
When they disassemble the drive train and start to play around, I wonder if I will get a call saying I might as well replace the front chainrings, too. 

The components are low end Shimano. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: May 14, 2016, 06:08:27 PM »
pretty great stage in the Giro today.  Was amazing watching the speed of these guys going up a gravel path that was 10 - 15% gradient for several kilometers.  I look at them going up 10% and their cadence, and that is me on level ground.

Tomorrow starts the Tour of California.  Wiggo has a development team there,  BMC is bringing Rohan Dennis and a strong squad, Julain Alaphillipe is back for Etixx and Sagan is there for the Russian Mob's banker.  Actually, there are 3 Slovaks for Astana.  Wild and crazy guys. Several are touting Lawson Craddock, too.  Some nice sprinters (Cav, Kristoff) and Kiel Reijnen and Alex Howes among the Americans.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #39: May 14, 2016, 06:28:43 PM »
Does anyone know if Nats Park has bike parking options other than the bike valet? Know someone who wants to bike to Springsteen but has GA tickets and therefore wants to get there before the bike valet opens (assuming they even have the valet option for concerts, that is). I assume there are probably lock-your-own bike racks somewhere, but I don't know where.

Thanks in advance.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #40: May 14, 2016, 06:55:17 PM »
There are bike racks up tight to the building on South Cap about halfway to the homeplate gate. They are also all along South Cap on the east side. There once were bike racks on N  street, outside the garage. I cannot swear that they are still there.

You can look along N street and South Cap on Google Maps, earth view, and see where they are.

Does anyone know if Nats Park has bike parking options other than the bike valet? Know someone who wants to bike to Springsteen but has GA tickets and therefore wants to get there before the bike valet opens (assuming they even have the valet option for concerts, that is). I assume there are probably lock-your-own bike racks somewhere, but I don't know where.

Thanks in advance.

• babble on
« Reply #41: May 14, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
I love the Giro.  The alpine passes like the Stelvio and Gavia are amazing in May.  Snow canyons.
pretty great stage in the Giro today.  Was amazing watching the speed of these guys going up a gravel path that was 10 - 15% gradient for several kilometers.  I look at them going up 10% and their cadence, and that is me on level ground.

Tomorrow starts the Tour of California.  Wiggo has a development team there,  BMC is bringing Rohan Dennis and a strong squad, Julain Alaphillipe is back for Etixx and Sagan is there for the Russian Mob's banker.  Actually, there are 3 Slovaks for Astana.  Wild and crazy guys. Several are touting Lawson Craddock, too.  Some nice sprinters (Cav, Kristoff) and Kiel Reijnen and Alex Howes among the Americans.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #42: May 15, 2016, 08:59:40 AM »

Thanks in advance.

Has anybody ever not been able to find something to lock a bike to in this city.  Serious question. You can lock a bike anywhere.  I suppose without the bike corral all the street sign poles could get taken up.  But if you are that early you probably don't have a problem

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43: May 15, 2016, 11:51:48 AM »
As long as we are talking about the bike corral, what is the etiquette on tipping?  when you pick up, or when you drop off, and what is a comfortable range?  I'm thinking about biking in today despite the wind because I want to make it back to CC in time the ESPNU broadcast of the LAX tournament game at 5:15 (Navy at Yale).

• babble on
« Reply #44: May 15, 2016, 07:33:07 PM »
Sagan is just so ridiculously good.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #45: May 16, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »
Has anybody ever not been able to find something to lock a bike to in this city.  Serious question. You can lock a bike anywhere.  I suppose without the bike corral all the street sign poles could get taken up.  But if you are that early you probably don't have a problem

I got the impression he's wary of using some random object to lock it, especially with the ghetto across South Capitol Street.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #46: May 17, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
Nobody has ever stolen my bike.  But it's nothing special. I mostly chalk it up to the duct tape on the grips.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #47: May 17, 2016, 08:30:43 AM »
Nobody has ever stolen my bike.  But it's nothing special. I mostly chalk it up to the duct tape on the grips.

:spit:

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #48: May 25, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »
Are Look bikes worth the price? I recently sold a trek armstrong for a lot (the guy I sold it to still loves armstrong and thinks everyone cheated so its no big deal) of cash and looking for options. Maybe the lemond washoe?

• babble on
« Reply #49: May 26, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »