Author Topic: MLB to offer single team out-of-market streaming packages in 2016  (Read 3400 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Good news for the remote Nationals fans,  it looks like you'll be able to buy single-team streaming subscriptions instead of the complete MLB package.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/12/29/mlb-live-streaming-single-team-games-2016-season

Unfortunately no good options for cord cutters in the local market.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Damnit. We're getting closer to in-market.

Offline whytev

Good news for the remote Nationals fans,  it looks like you'll be able to buy single-team streaming subscriptions instead of the complete MLB package.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/12/29/mlb-live-streaming-single-team-games-2016-season

Unfortunately no good options for cord cutters in the local market.

This is pretty tempting, but I think I might buy the whole MLB subscription again. It's fun to watch a second game some days.

Offline houston-nat

This would be more useful if they fixed the "in-market" BS. My best friend would love to buy this so she can watch Astros games, but we live in Dallas, so there's no legal way to watch Astros games by any means.

My 2016 MLB.TV planning is roughly like this:
40% Nats
30% Dodgers home games
30% whatever the most compelling game is

This is Vin Scully's final year, so I'm going to try to catch every Dodgers home game I can. Here's hoping he tells every story he can think of.

Offline DPMOmaha

My viewing habits are so heavy Nats centric this might be a great option, at least to try to start the season and adjust accordingly. Maybe a option for the full package in September when the races heat up. I'm intrigued, though.

Offline whytev

This would be more useful if they fixed the "in-market" BS. My best friend would love to buy this so she can watch Astros games, but we live in Dallas, so there's no legal way to watch Astros games by any means.

My 2016 MLB.TV planning is roughly like this:
40% Nats
30% Dodgers home games
30% whatever the most compelling game is

This is Vin Scully's final year, so I'm going to try to catch every Dodgers home game I can. Here's hoping he tells every story he can think of.

I don't get it. Wouldn't your blackout market be Texas, not Houston?

Offline whytev

My viewing habits are so heavy Nats centric this might be a great option, at least to try to start the season and adjust accordingly. Maybe a option for the full package in September when the races heat up. I'm intrigued, though.

Yes, and can you buy the playoffs separately? I couldn't give up the playoffs.

Offline DPMOmaha

I don't get it. Wouldn't your blackout market be Texas, not Houston?
All of Texas is blacked out for both. Louisiana, too. And Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
My hunch? The single-team price will be about 90% of the price for all-teams. But then I'm old, grumpy, and cynical.

Offline whytev

All of Texas is blacked out for both. Louisiana, too. And Oklahoma and Arkansas.

The heck?

Offline DPMOmaha

The heck?
google MLB blackouts in Iowa. It's ridiculous.

Offline whytev

Blackout rules are protectionist in favour of big cable, which is a bubble that is gonna burst pretty quickly. crap is gonna be ugly pretty soon. There might be a year suddenly nobody is giving out $30mm aav because they aren't getting that cable money, and they have to honour the contracts they already have.

Offline HalfSmokes

Blackout rules are protectionist in favour of big cable, which is a bubble that is gonna burst pretty quickly. crap is gonna be ugly pretty soon. There might be a year suddenly nobody is giving out $30mm aav because they aren't getting that cable money, and they have to honour the contracts they already have.

And by then the ants will have a dozen guys owed deferred money

Offline houston-nat

Yeah, honestly I'm lucky compared to people in the midwest or mid-Atlantic.

Offline whytev

Yeah, honestly I'm lucky compared to people in the midwest or mid-Atlantic.

I feel lucky as I can be for a guy with no team. I'm geographically close enough to be in Mariners blackout land, but the border spares me, so I can watch my local team. The Jays sometimes black out here, but who cares? Hopefully they don't black out the Jays/Nats interleague this year. I'd have to find a bar.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Hopefully they don't black out the Jays/Nats interleague this year. I'd have to find a bar.

You're in Canada...how hard can that be?

Offline whytev

You're in Canada...how hard can that be?

I'd rather watch the Nationals in the comfort of my own home than in a bar full of BJ enthusiasts.

Edit: They're playing the Central this year, not the East.  So no worries there.

Offline HalfSmokes

This will be my first season without cable- Charlie and Dave and a going to a few more games should make it a wash, still wish they had a local streaming option

Offline whytev

This will be my first season without cable- Charlie and Dave and a going to a few more games should make it a wash, still wish they had a local streaming option

Block your location.  I do it to watch US Netflix.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
My hunch? The single-team price will be about 90% of the price for all-teams. But then I'm old, grumpy, and cynical.

No, you're not.   You're just callin' "bullcrap".    :)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
This would be more useful if they fixed the "in-market" BS.

This. Really tired of paying for cable just to watch sports.

Offline Natsinpwc

They did this for the NHL package this year also. Not sure what the price difference is.

Offline HalfSmokes

This. Really tired of paying for cable just to watch sports.

The one thing the nfl does best is making sure the local game is always on broadcast

Offline UMDNats

They did this for the NHL package this year also. Not sure what the price difference is.

its about $20 cheaper. i have it for the caps.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
You don't think he'll decide to go for another decade?