Author Topic: Better Bullpen or Bust - the 2016 Relievers  (Read 31603 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Part of the problem is the bullpen was absolutely gassed, particularly Rivero and Kelly

As I said on the other thread, that's on the manager.  With a 7-man bullpen, they shouldn't be gassed unless the pen is covering 5 innings every game.  Dusty changes pitchers more often than he changes toothpicks - and impressively, often manages to still leave starters in too long.  Far too many 1/3 of an inning and 1 inning in noncompetitive game appearances.

Offline Optics

Bullpen wasn't so hot against the Cubs but has been good way more often then bad so far this year. It's not a bad pen but relievers are gonna give up runs at some point.

Gio and Scherzer failing to go 6 innings was an issue as well lets be fair.

Offline DPMOmaha

Bullpen wasn't so hot against the Cubs but has been good way more often then bad so far this year. It's not a bad pen but relievers are gonna give up runs at some point.
Cubs are going to make a lot of bullpens look bad this year.

Offline Monarch

Gio and Scherzer failing to go 6 innings was an issue as well lets be fair.

no one expects Gio to pitch more than 6 though. Scherzer is a bigger problem IMO.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Hell of streak they've been on. While there will be ups and downs, this is the bullpen we need in September and October.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
I'm sad Kelley gave up his first runs of the season, and to Campbell of all players, but he hadn't pitched since Friday (I think) so not completely out of left field. It's been an awesome start to his new contract with his new team.

Offline aussienatsfan

Hell of streak they've been on. While there will be ups and downs, this is the bullpen we need in September and October.

I think i believe that too.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Not sold on that yet.  I think the front end is stronger than the back end and that's a problem.  Petit has been phenomenal as a long reliever and Perez has filled his role nicely.  But when you look at the back end Solis and Kelley have been the only two consistent pitchers and Solis really seems to be more of a seventh inning guy and Kelley hasn't locked down the 8th inning role.  That leaves Rivero, Treinen, and Papelbon.  Rivero and Treinen both have phenomenal stuff but they still suffer from inconsistency.  And Papelbon's peripheral numbers are a trainwreck.  It seems impossible to believe that a reliever who opponents are hitting for a .284/.333/.388 slash will hold up as a closer in the long run.  If Papelbon falters (advanced metrics give a mixed indication of how likely that is but the peripherals are certainly disturbing) the rest of the bullpen starts to look very weak very quickly.  I think we need to get a bona fide closer at the deadline.  Then I'll feel good about what we have here.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Zuck notes: "Over the last 14 games, Nats relievers have a collective 0.93 ERA and have stranded all 22 runners they've inherited."

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Simple solution. Switch someone from the front end to cover for the raggedy-ass backend. :D

Not sold on that yet.  I think the front end is stronger than the back end and that's a problem.  Petit has been phenomenal as a long reliever and Perez has filled his role nicely.  But when you look at the back end Solis and Kelley have been the only two consistent pitchers and Solis really seems to be more of a seventh inning guy and Kelley hasn't locked down the 8th inning role.  That leaves Rivero, Treinen, and Papelbon.  Rivero and Treinen both have phenomenal stuff but they still suffer from inconsistency.  And Papelbon's peripheral numbers are a trainwreck.  It seems impossible to believe that a reliever who opponents are hitting for a .284/.333/.388 slash will hold up as a closer in the long run.  If Papelbon falters (advanced metrics give a mixed indication of how likely that is but the peripherals are certainly disturbing) the rest of the bullpen starts to look very weak very quickly.  I think we need to get a bona fide closer at the deadline.  Then I'll feel good about what we have here.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Simple solution. Switch someone from the front end to cover for the raggedy-ass backend. :D

Strasburg for closer!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Perez for closer!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Perez for closer!

If we get to the playoffs, I'd have three guys up and warming. Closer by committee.

Offline Ray D

I'm sad Kelley gave up his first runs of the season,
I vaguely recall though that opening day he came in with the bases loaded,let all three inherited runners score, and very nearly blew the game for us.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
I vaguely recall though that opening day he came in with the bases loaded,let all three inherited runners score, and very nearly blew the game for us.
Wrong.  But you are remembering accurately that it was ugly.  He faced one batter with the bases loaded and walked him on four pitches, none of which was even that close.

Offline Slateman

Agreed. Dumping Papeldouche would go a long way to completing the pen.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I remember too.  But that was just at the beginning of the season.  Not sure if he was just a little rusty, but over the past month, Kelley has been very good.

Offline monkeyhit

Did the bullpen, good as it is, matter today? No, because we have no offense. The entire thread is irrelevant, thanks to Rizzo.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
The game was essentially over when Wright took Roark deep in the first inning.

Offline Slateman

Did the bullpen, good as it is, matter today? No, because we have no offense. The entire thread is irrelevant, thanks to Rizzo.

Same "no offense" scored 7 runs yesterday. Tell me, who has beaten Matz in the last month?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Oh F U Spider - the 1st inning was too early to think anything.  If you did, then you are really an ASS     hhhole

The game was essentially over when Wright took Roark deep in the first inning.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Oh F U Spider - the 1st inning was too early to think anything.  If you did, then you are really an ASS     hhhole

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline whytev

Treinen's leverage situations have gotten lower and lower all season. Quietly too. It was all about the Treinen/Rivero matchups, and now he's going in in situations like last night.

Offline houston-nat

@ryanfagan tweets:

Nationals relievers: MLB-low 43 runs allowed.

Reds relievers: MLB-high 42 home runs allowed.

:shock: :shock:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
@ryanfagan tweets:

Nationals relievers: MLB-low 43 runs allowed.

Reds relievers: MLB-high 42 home runs allowed.

:shock: :shock:

Wow.  I would hate to be a Reds fan...