Author Topic: NCAA Hockey: 2015-16 Edition  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• Oh you call what you got a team?
NCAA Hockey: 2015-16 Edition
« Topic Start: November 06, 2015, 10:46:17 AM »
5 Teams in the ECAC make the top 20:  Quinnipiac, Harvard, Yale, St. Lawrence and Clarkson.

UNO also in the top 20.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: NCAA Hockey: 2015-16 Edition
« Reply #1: November 06, 2015, 11:44:30 AM »
UNO I think got as high as #2 or #3 a week or two ago.  They are at home, #8, playing #6 Duluth (home of UMDNats).

Tonight, NESN+ has #12 Yale at #7 Harvard at 7PM.  I hope CCSP can pull it in.  Lyon (golie from Yale) is the only returning Richter Award candidate and is one of the top amateurs in the world now.  Another year like last and he can should be able to sign in a good situation.  Vescey and his line are already on fire. 

There's an article in USCHO pointing out how the entire top 12 is HE, ECAC, and NCHC.
http://www.uscho.com/2015/11/03/tmq-three-leagues-stand-out-after-first-month-of-play/

Online DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: November 06, 2015, 11:19:10 PM »
UNO I think got as high as #2 or #3 a week or two ago.  They are at home, #8, playing #6 Duluth (home of UMDNats).

Tonight, NESN+ has #12 Yale at #7 Harvard at 7PM.  I hope CCSP can pull it in.  Lyon (golie from Yale) is the only returning Richter Award candidate and is one of the top amateurs in the world now.  Another year like last and he can should be able to sign in a good situation.  Vescey and his line are already on fire. 

There's an article in USCHO pointing out how the entire top 12 is HE, ECAC, and NCHC.
http://www.uscho.com/2015/11/03/tmq-three-leagues-stand-out-after-first-month-of-play/
#1 in the human polls for a bit, I believe. First time in school history. Opened up a new barn this year, too. Haven't made it there yet, but it looks awesome.

Offline madj55

« Reply #3: November 07, 2015, 12:22:51 AM »
QU off to the best start in program history at 7-0-0. Love it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4: November 07, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »
UNO wins 4-2 over Duluth (http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2015/11/06/no-8-omaha-scores-on-opening-shift-never-looks-back-in-defeating-no-6-minnesota-duluth/), Yale ties Harvard late on a goal by freshman, Joe Snively  (second of the night).  May be a player to watch this year.  Wisconsin knocks of #1 NoDak (didn't we have a Mets troll with a name like UNDFightingSouix this summer?), so it's likely a HE team will be first next week - whether it is Providence, BC, or Lowell is the question.  Nice road win by QU #5 @Colgate and for Lowell at Vermont.  Lake Superior tied Bowling Green (#14) on the road for another interesting result.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: November 08, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
UNO (#8) sweeps the weekend over UMD (#6), QU (#5) wins in OT, Lowell (#4) sweeps UVM and NoDak (#1) gets back on track over Wisconsin.  In upset city, RPI tops St. L (#15), Union wins at Clarkson (#17), and Minnesota wins at Notre Dame (#18).  Harvard (#7) and Denver (#9) also win in the top 10.

Offline Minty Fresh

« Reply #6: November 09, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »
The North Country (Clarkson and St. Lawrence) had a really awful weekend.  Sucks too since both will likely drop out of the top 20.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: November 23, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »
:?
no love for the Imperial Life in the Emerald City?

Offline madj55

« Reply #10: December 04, 2015, 08:57:19 PM »
Bobcats shut out Yale and remain undefeated.

Offline Minty Fresh

« Reply #11: December 04, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »

13-0-2.  What a start.  I would imagine this will help propel them to Hockey East.   :(

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: December 05, 2015, 02:12:49 PM »
Tip my cap to your boys.  the Bobcats are #1 by pairwise at this point, but only #3 in USCHO.com's poll.  They looked very good last night.  I thought the 2d goal was a little soft on Lyon, but Garteig and the QU defense looked great all night.  Also, when they showed "T. Clifton" on a jersey, was I the only one to think of Tony Clifton?  Is Toews related to the NHL player?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: December 05, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »
13-0-2.  What a start.  I would imagine this will help propel them to Hockey East.   :(
I've said it before, but I'd like to see Yale and QU schedule a few NCHC / WCHA / B1G teams in together on back to back nights.  This would make the trip East cheaper and better for poll standing and would improve Yale, QU, and the ECAC pairwise and RPI, potentially.  For example, bring in Wisconsin and St Cloud or UMD and the Gophers together.  They players would not have to switch hotels and could fly either to Hartford or NY airports for easy travel.

Offline madj55

« Reply #14: December 05, 2015, 03:02:40 PM »
Tip my cap to your boys.  the Bobcats are #1 by pairwise at this point, but only #3 in USCHO.com's poll.  They looked very good last night.  I thought the 2d goal was a little soft on Lyon, but Garteig and the QU defense looked great all night.  Also, when they showed "T. Clifton" on a jersey, was I the only one to think of Tony Clifton?  Is Toews related to the NHL player?
I'm actually really good friends with Timmy Clifton, we were on the same wiffle ball team. And Toews isn't related to the NHL player.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: December 06, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »
I'm actually really good friends with Timmy Clifton, we were on the same wiffle ball team. And Toews isn't related to the NHL player.
Got a soft spot for QU.  Seems like it should be their turn.  Wasn't the best Yale team in 2013, but it was near the end of a great run.  Same for QU. 

Has someone drafted Anas?  He'd be worth a WaPo story.  The kid is one of the best forwards in the NCAA and is from Potomac.  Not consensus Hobey Baker level like Gaudreau was his last year, but a very good candidate. 

Offline madj55

« Reply #16: December 06, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »
Got a soft spot for QU.  Seems like it should be their turn.  Wasn't the best Yale team in 2013, but it was near the end of a great run.  Same for QU. 

Has someone drafted Anas?  He'd be worth a WaPo story.  The kid is one of the best forwards in the NCAA and is from Potomac.  Not consensus Hobey Baker level like Gaudreau was his last year, but a very good candidate. 
Good friends with him too, actually won a beer pong tourney together. It's crazy how nice the hockey kids are. He never got drafted, but he was at Islanders development camp this summer.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: December 07, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »
Good friends with him too, actually won a beer pong tourney together. It's crazy how nice the hockey kids are. He never got drafted, but he was at Islanders development camp this summer.
I'm wishing him well.  Lyon is undrafted, too, so these guys I hope get a nice pick of landing spots.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think Adam Oates was undrafted, too.  A few of the recent Yale forwards (Arcobello, O'Neill, Miller) were undrafted and have made the fringes of the NHL, and Jesse Root is one of the top performers in the ECHL this season.  Bob Kudelski had a nice career after being on some mid-80s Tim Taylor teams.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18: December 21, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
I was at this game.

http://rinkrap1.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-new-haven-miracle.html

My freshman year.  Girl I was interested in was in Branford College (Durfee dormitory on Old Campus) and  the Branfordites had a couple of players on this team - Doug Tingey and Blair Wheeler - plus another kid on JV, so we all went to a lot of games. Moreso than basketball that year even though I ended up knowing more basketball players than hockey players. The JV kid used to play the cowbell at the games to pump up the crowd, and he would have been great for Blue Oyster Cult.  At any rate,  the place was a bonkers as the article says.  I remember the Globe article talking about Chico Rodrigues and him saying he got into BU, academically, not for hockey.  I didn't remember it was Durocher we beat - somehow I only knew that was Craig's team.  As for Allain, he was terrific.  Those teams won an Ivy title I think my Junior year, but only made the ECAC's my sophomore year (IIRC).  Senior year we were a bit short with Rodrigues, who finally had a chance to play.  I think this game may have led to Bob Brooke (Rangers and US Olympics) committing to Yale.  I knew of him because he played for a great high school - Acton Boxboro - with Ken Barasso in goal and another kid, Alan Bourbeau, who played for several terrific Harvard teams.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: December 30, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »
I did not realize this, but the top freshman for Yale is from Herndon.  He's won freshman of the week for the ECAC early in the season and is on their top line.  Joe Snively.  That makes 2 major players from around here playing just off of Whitney Ave.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-hockey/2015-16/bios/snively_joe_jfun

ALBANY, N.Y. – The Yale men's hockey team won its first two games of the season last weekend in New Jersey while capturing the Capital City Classic Championship. Two Bulldogs were rewarded by ECAC Hockey for their weekend performances. Junior Alex Lyon (Baudette, Minn.) earned goalie of the week while freshman forward Joe Snively (Herndon, Va.) was rookie of the week.
Snively, playing his first games as a collegian, set up the game-winner late in the third against the Tigers on the way to a three-point weekend. The former Sioux City (USHL) standout scored two goals in the championship game.
http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-hockey/2015-16/releases/20151103ff2g2m

Snively also had 2 goals and game MVP in the tie at Harvard early in the year.  he's skating on the top line.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: January 04, 2016, 09:04:18 AM »
Friend of mine emailed me about interconference play. ECAC did really well this weekend, with Harvard winning the Mariucci Classic (beating Ferris State and Minnesota), Clarkson and RPI splitting with NCHC teams, Brown beating Providence, etc...  That's the second Providence loss to an ECAC team.  Result is Pairwise now has 5 of the top 10 teams from the ECAC.  Hard to believe the conference was so down 10 -20 years ago that it would go multiple years without a frozen four team and would often only get one tournament invite.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: January 18, 2016, 01:04:30 PM »
New USCHO poll out has the QU Bobcats finallly in first after leading the Pairwise and RPI for a while.  Looking at the USCHO poll, biggest disconnects seem to be HE v. ECAC and the top of the NCHC.   PWR has BC #9 and UMass-Lowell #13, while USCHO has them #4 and #8.  OTOH, PWR has St Cloud (NCHC) #2, UNO #5, Harvard #6, Cornell #7 and Yale #10, while USCHO has the same teams #5, #7, #9, #10, and #12.  With a solid year from Michigan (#7 PWR), it looks like right now that there will be 2 leagues where only the tournament winner gets in - the WCHA and the AHA having 4 teams from 19th to 23d in PWR. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: February 03, 2016, 09:22:35 PM »
Sam Anas from Potomac is the leading scorer in the ECAC playing for the #1 team in country, the Quinnipiac Bobcats.  Joe Snively of Yale and Herndon won the rookie of the month in the ECAC and was the top scorer in January in the conference.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: February 17, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
Nice article on Joe Snively in USCHO.com.
http://www.uscho.com/2016/02/17/leading-scorer-snively-finds-chemistry-with-his-yale-linemates/

Sam Anas is still the top scorer on the #1 team in country.

Offline Minty Fresh

« Reply #24: February 19, 2016, 10:54:50 PM »
Awesome game on CBSSports tonight - Minnesota-Duluth v. North Dakota.  It's been a great watch.