Author Topic: Fire Dusty Baker!  (Read 107119 times)

Online blue911

Re: Fire Dusty Baker!
« Reply #1500: October 22, 2017, 05:00:29 PM »
Baker wasn't hired to fix the clubhouse, he was hired because ownership blew the Bud Black negotiations and they needed a quick hire.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1501: October 22, 2017, 05:22:19 PM »
I’m really looking forward to when the Nats lose in the playoffs again (or worse) and seeing the reactions of everyone on this board. 7 managers over 14 years and we still think a manager change is the solution.  :hysterical:

I know I’ve really seemed like a Dusty supporter or fan. And I’m really not. But the guy wins a lot. And he fixed a dumpster fire of a clubhouse. And the implication here that he’s stupid despite winning all these games in many locations makes me uncomfortable. I am not sure why that is, but it does. Really uncomfortable. Viscerally.

I imagine that explains why I’ve been how I have been on this forum regarding the whole Dusty thing. The Nats treated him like crap (there is zero debate about this. They let him twist.) and there is literally zero (or very little) outrage or even sympathy for the guy who seems to be a class individual.

Rant over.  I don’t really want the Nats to do poorly next year, but this whole thing makes me feel dirty

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1502: October 22, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »
I’m really looking forward to when the Nats lose in the playoffs again (or worse) and seeing the reactions of everyone on this board. 7 managers over 14 years and we still think a manager change is the solution.  :hysterical:

I know I’ve really seemed like a Dusty supporter or fan. And I’m really not. But the guy wins a lot. And he fixed a dumpster fire of a clubhouse. And the implication here that he’s stupid despite winning all these games in many locations makes me uncomfortable. I am not sure why that is, but it does. Really uncomfortable. Viscerally.

I imagine that explains why I’ve been how I have been on this forum regarding the whole Dusty thing. The Nats treated him like crap (there is zero debate about this. They let him twist.) and there is literally zero (or very little) outrage or even sympathy for the guy who seems to be a class individual.

Rant over.  I don’t really want the Nats to do poorly next year, but this whole thing makes me feel dirty
By stubbornly going with Werth as the starter for all five games when he had 2 better options on the bench probably did him in. Dusty seems a good regular season manager but he seems lacking in the playoffs. It's not just the last two years.

The clubhouse will be fine if they win. If they lose problems could arise. I don't think they should bring back Werth for baseball reasons but also don't think it would be a good idea to have him around for a new manager. Especially if it's a younger guy. He was right about Matt Williams but I could see him causing problems with another guy.

You will get over Dusty being gone.

Cheers.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1503: October 22, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »
Baker wasn't hired to fix the clubhouse, he was hired because ownership blew the Bud Black negotiations and they needed a quick hire.

The intent is inconsequential in the long run. It fixed the clubhouse. Time to move on

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1504: October 22, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »

This is like being stuck in a dead-end job or in a going nowhere relationship or something. Willing to accept things as is because its comfortable, but never going to your full potential. The track record is there with Dusty. Of course there is a chance that the next thing might not work out. But you will never know until you try. Go ahead and live life. Like all things, you just move on.

And to say our window of opportunity is one year is bullcrap. I love harper, but Im a Nats fan moreso than a Harper fan. We got talent still even if Harper leaves. We will see how Robles turns out, but hes a highly prized 5 tool outfielder too.

We will never become the back to back 100 loss team of yesteryear. At least for the long forseeable future

Offline whytev

« Reply #1505: October 22, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
Everyone harshes about playing Werth game 5, but he did reach base four times that game.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #1506: October 22, 2017, 06:22:12 PM »
And he fixed a dumpster fire of a clubhouse.

Wait, what?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1507: October 22, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »

You can change all the players or the manager? Which one is easier? The fact is that in 2018, the bulk of this team will either be gone, or revert to form. If you kept Dusty, you're getting a NLDS exit again.

The Nats paid Dusty millions when no one else was even interested in giving him a job. Dusty had his shot. He blew it.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1508: October 22, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »
Wait, what?

The did pretty much quit on Williams

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on

Online Mattionals

« Reply #1510: October 22, 2017, 07:11:12 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this before (way too lazy to look back at all the responses), but how much of the outrage towards firing Baker has been because Baker is a media darling? The media loves Dusty and seem to have a tough time being extra critical of him. While even I think that he has done a great job staying fairly up to date, (certainly better than Collins, Ron Washington, or Davey Johnson) the managerial blunders have been inexcusable for a person who was brought in with two jobs, fix the clubhouse culture and take a very talented team past the first round of the playoffs. He even has said as much that he inheirited possibly the most talented team he has ever been able to manage. He still didn't get the job done.

The ownership is a side show circus act, but he didn't live up to his end of the bargain. The team could have beaten the Cubs (and likely would have been stomped on by LA) but Baker's decisions to use Solis, Werth, and giving too much rope to Gio in Game 5 made the difference. I like the guy, but now there is sufficient data on what the team needs as someone to run the ship day to day. They need someone who can deal with Harper's ego. They need someone who is good with modern statistics and how to use them. It's a young man's game.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1511: October 22, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »
Hes very chummy with the media. Like someone said earlier, he was very chummy with Cincys ushers who missed him. Thats really great and all, but this is a results based business.

The national media is outraged, but all they see is a very friendly charismatic guy who has had a long storied career. They all admit his mistakes (very egregious mistakes) but because he makes them feel good, and gives them good interviews they are for some reason willing to turn a blind eye.

Like Bob Nightengales article, calling the Nationals gutless and arrogant. WTF? The Nationals have effed certain things up and they did lowball Dusty, but wasnt that gutless of Dusty to go to the media like Nightengale because of his contract??

If this was anyone other than Dusty doing that, there would be so much negative press swirling around. You dont go around to the media about that stuff. You deal with it inhouse. This is almost like Riggleman demanding a new contract. Its not as bad because he didnt quit midseason, but seriously. WTF

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #1512: October 22, 2017, 07:33:38 PM »
So, have the Nats been interviewing anyone yet?

Or are we just going to hire whoever is left after everyone else gets their shiny new managers?

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #1513: October 22, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »
Bluestreak insinuating things that's he come out and just said previously. You're the one with the lens you're viewing this through, and it's your problem--not everyone else being "dirty".

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1514: October 22, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
Bluestreak insinuating things that's he come out and just said previously. You're the one with the lens you're viewing this through, and it's your problem--not everyone else being "dirty".

What have I said previously? I’m not insinuating anything.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #1515: October 22, 2017, 09:21:12 PM »
What have I said previously? I’m not insinuating anything.

Sorry blue. I got you mixed up with another poster who has made comments about Dusty not being treated fairly because the color of his skin.

Disregard!

Scraps

« Reply #1516: October 22, 2017, 09:48:34 PM »
They had a better record against the other divisions than they did against the NL east, but let’s not let facts get in the way of a good argument.

The Marlins were our best competition in the NL East at “8 games BELOW .500” while the Braves, Mets, and Phillies were all at “90+ losses” - 18, 20, and 30 games respectively BELOW .500 baseball ???? ..... we played each of  those bottom feeders 18 times and had 16 wins in 20 games against the lowlife  Reds, Giants, and Padres - very similar competition. 

The only argument here will be with yourself.

Best wishes to Dusty Baker. {{{kick to his @zz and out the door he goes!}}} bye-bye.

Go Naaaaaaaaaaats!

Offline whytev

« Reply #1517: October 23, 2017, 12:11:48 AM »
Sorry blue. I got you mixed up with another poster who has made comments about Dusty not being treated fairly because the color of his skin.

Disregard!

That poster huffed off. And nobody misses him.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1518: October 23, 2017, 12:24:47 AM »
That poster huffed off. And nobody misses him.

I think that was the guy that made up fake stuff at the trade deadline, too. Good riddance.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1519: October 23, 2017, 12:25:27 AM »

Disregard!

No worries. I was just wondering what I had said. I understand now.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1520: October 23, 2017, 03:21:04 AM »
I'd like to know what held back all these Dusty supporters before the fateful decision.  It seems much of the fan clamor and recent press could have spoken louder much earlier than this past week.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1521: October 23, 2017, 08:50:12 AM »

What manager, that’s not looking for one last paycheck before retirement, wants to take this job now?  The Bud Black “one year offer” was really dumb and got them Dusty Baker who, as you said, fired himself being Dusty Baker. No one with any sense should want to touch this job with a 25 foot pole.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1522: October 23, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
It's not so much that I am a Dusty supporter (I've said I would not have hired him in the first place), but it almost seems the need to fire him now kind of shows that it was a dumb decision in the first place.  I can't think of a single thing he's done that is a negative surprise compared to what you knew about him before he was hired, and I can think of a few positives during the regular season this year.  Even the points Blue911 made you could have predicted when he was hired.  My only quibble with his points would be that I'm not sure he's to blame for the Lobaton / Severino decision because I'll lay roster decisions on Rizzo, at least in part. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1523: October 23, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
What manager, that’s not looking for one last paycheck before retirement, wants to take this job now?  The Bud Black “one year offer” was really dumb and got them Dusty Baker who, as you said, fired himself being Dusty Baker. No one with any sense should want to touch this job with a 25 foot pole.
Along these lines, it is laughable these guys thought they could get a shot at Cora when the Red Sox were willing to go 3 years for him.  Gardy also wasn't sticking around (thankfully). 

I could see Brad Mills being interested.  More or less botched his first job in Houston, so I'm not sure when he gets his next shot.  I don't see him waiting out Francona since they are peers. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1524: October 23, 2017, 09:07:26 AM »
Along these lines, it is laughable these guys thought they could get a shot at Cora when the Red Sox were willing to go 3 years for him.  Gardy also wasn't sticking around (thankfully). 

I could see Brad Mills being interested.  More or less botched his first job in Houston, so I'm not sure when he gets his next shot.  I don't see him waiting out Francona since they are peers. 

Ron Gardenhire is probably who they should have hired but even he knew taking over the dumpster fire in Detroit was a better gig than getting dicked around by the Lerners. Again, the only person willing to take on this job is someone with nothing to lose that just wants one last paycheck. The Bud Black fiasco is going to make anyone with options give a hard pass.