Author Topic: Fire Dusty Baker!  (Read 107696 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Re: Fire Dusty Baker!
« Reply #1375: October 20, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »
Well, the Yanks aren't gonna be open. And it sounds like the Sox gig is filled too. The rest of the openings are going to be for bad teams. There's still a lot we don't know about what went down between the end of the NLDS and now. Lerners have shown a willingness to learn from their mistakes. If they do that here, they'll have no problem finding a top candidate.

the Lerners' phone will be ringing off the hook.  Who wouldn't want to manage here?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #1376: October 20, 2017, 01:04:06 PM »
Put me on record as predicting that we will hire a manager who give us our best chance to win the NLDS, and we won't make the playoffs.

That's my worry too.  I liked our chances of winning the division next year with Dusty.  Winning divisions isn't as easy as it has looked the last couple years.   We thought we'd have no problems winning in 2013 and 2015 too.

Online imref

« Reply #1377: October 20, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »
i wonder what it would take to pry Boche away from SF?

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1378: October 20, 2017, 01:06:28 PM »
That's my worry too.  I liked our chances of winning the division next year with Dusty.  Winning divisions isn't as easy as it has looked the last couple years.   We thought we'd have no problems winning in 2013 and 2015 too.

Its not supposed to be easy. Dusty had it easy because the Mets arms are falling off, the death of Jose Fernandez for the Marlins, and the predicted rebuilds of Atlanta and Philadelphia. Dusty would have to make a Matt Williams sized blunder for the Nats not to make the playoffs the last two years

Online imref

« Reply #1379: October 20, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
it will be interesting if Baker wins manager of the year.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1380: October 20, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
it will be interesting if Baker wins manager of the year.
He won't. Nor should he.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1381: October 20, 2017, 01:13:12 PM »
Chelsea Janes‏Verified account @chelsea_janes · 6m6 minutes ago 

Rizzo: "After Game 5, we assessed where we're at, where we're going...we thought after Game 5, this was the right decision to make."

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1382: October 20, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »
Its not supposed to be easy. Dusty had it easy because the Mets arms are falling off, the death of Jose Fernandez for the Marlins, and the predicted rebuilds of Atlanta and Philadelphia. Dusty would have to make a Matt Williams sized blunder for the Nats not to make the playoffs the last two years

Because the Nats didn’t have any major injuries... or no bullpen for most of the year. But yeah, Dusty had it easy. Anyone could have done it. Ask the Giants if good seasons are guaranteed... :smh:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #1383: October 20, 2017, 01:18:33 PM »
the Lerners' phone will be ringing off the hook.  Who wouldn't want to manage here?
If I were a candidate, I would look at 95 and 97 wins and realize that anything short of that will be failure.  I'd pass.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1384: October 20, 2017, 01:20:27 PM »
Because the Nats didn’t have any major injuries... or no bullpen for most of the year. But yeah, Dusty had it easy. Anyone could have done it. Ask the Giants if good seasons are guaranteed... :smh:

Do you not doubt that the Mets whole rotation was a body bag the last two years? They were supposed to be our closest challengers. They went through something like Max, Stras, Gio, and Tanner out for almost the whole year or should have been out for the year... I dont think even we could have withstood that...

And I dont even want to think about what the death of your star player all of a sudden could do to your team with Fernandez and the swirling circumstances with Stanton. I believed Fernandez to be even better than Max... It would be like Harper dying in a motorcycle crash in the middle of the season..

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1385: October 20, 2017, 01:21:19 PM »
Apparently there were no negations with Dusty and they didn't talk to the players at all.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #1386: October 20, 2017, 01:25:47 PM »
If I were a candidate, I would look at 95 and 97 wins and realize that anything short of that will be failure.  I'd pass.

So the Red Sox job would be out for you, too?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1387: October 20, 2017, 01:28:52 PM »
From USAToday:

Baker was taken aback by the decision, telling USA TODAY Sports he was particularly stunned it took the club 10 days to get back to him with a decision.

"I'm surprised and disappointed," Baker told USA TODAY Sports. "They told me they would get back to me and I told them I was leaving town yesterday and they waited 10 days to tell me.

"I really thought this was my best year. We won at least 95 games each year and won the division back to back years but they said they wanted to go a different direction. It's hard to understand."

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1388: October 20, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
Rosenthal suggesting Maddux will get a long look.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #1389: October 20, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
Apparently there were no negations with Dusty

There must have been plenty of negations or he wouldn't have been fired.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #1390: October 20, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »
I've never been a fire Dusty guy. But not having anyone up in the pen in the 3rd inning of game 5 was a fireable offense. 40,000 people knew Gio was trying to give the game away, and Dusty was happy to let him.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #1391: October 20, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »
i wonder what it would take to pry Boche away from SF?

He supposedly makes $6 million/year and he has 2 years left on his contract in a place where you don't get fired after winning the division twice and where he is very close to untouchable.  He's already won it 3 times.  In other words, it would take an awful lot. 

There must have been plenty of negations or he wouldn't have been fired.

He wasn't fired.  His contract was up.  All they had to do was let him walk. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1392: October 20, 2017, 01:37:35 PM »
He supposedly makes $6 million/year and he has 2 years left on his contract in a place where you don't get fired after winning the division twice and where he is very close to untouchable.  He's already won it 3 times.  In other words, it would take an awful lot. 
San Andreas fault goes, San Francisco tumbles into the sea.  Short of that, not much else.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #1393: October 20, 2017, 01:41:02 PM »
From USAToday:

Classless move by the Lerners.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #1394: October 20, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »
I've watched a lot of sports teams over the years who were consistently successful in the regular season make rash decisions based on post season results.  Usually the result is that they are no longer successful in the regular season.

Offline ChicagoCubs

« Reply #1395: October 20, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »
Dustys gone.  Yessssssss!

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #1396: October 20, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
I've watched a lot of sports teams over the years who were consistently successful in the regular season make rash decisions based on post season results.  Usually the result is that they are no longer successful in the regular season.

Like?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #1397: October 20, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »
The more I think about this the more enraged I am.  I’m reading (and I believe it) that Rizzo was against this move.  Rizzo is a man I trust.  If Rizzo had been behind it, I wouldn’t be happy but I would at least be comfortable that it was a rational decision and that they had some idea of who’s available and who they like among them. 

What could possibly be the Lerner’s rational reason?  Didn’t win a playoff series and that’s it?  Seriously, how does the decision making work among the Lerners. Serious question, anyone know?  Was it solely a decision from that senile old man?  What the freak basis does he have for such a decision.  I doubt that it was Mark, because honestly I think he’s smarter than that.

All of a sudden, right now, it’s hard for me to look forward to Spring.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1398: October 20, 2017, 01:58:36 PM »
Classless move by the Lerners.

Not signing him to a new contract is classless?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1399: October 20, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »