Author Topic: Fire Dusty Baker!  (Read 107126 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Fire Dusty Baker!
« Reply #1350: October 20, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »
I fear firing Dusty is just going to make it harder to replace him. Convoluted way of saying this makes organization look bad to potential candidates.

Yup. Managers are going to think “make it to the playoffs twice in two years and the ball doesn’t bounce your way, and you are let go...”

Every manager has made questionable (if not oughtright dumb) tactical moves this offseason, especially with benefit of hindsight. Every One. 

Part of the game. Which is why I never understood why everyone insisted Dusty was the stupid one.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1351: October 20, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
Sure, La Russa would take the job, he needs the money.

Doubtful.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #1352: October 20, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
hire a-rod

You mean like an inanimate carbon rod? I thought the same. Probably would come pretty cheap.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1353: October 20, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »
Yup. Managers are going to think “make it to the playoffs twice in two years and the ball doesn’t bounce your way, and you are let go...”

Every manager has made questionable (if not oughtright dumb) tactical moves this offseason, especially with benefit of hindsight. Every One. 

Part of the game. Which is why I never understood why everyone insisted Dusty was the stupid one.

Who said only Dusty made bad moves? Maddon's moves were terrible too, several people commented on that. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1354: October 20, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »
Dumb. Everyone here is getting excited about a guy who has zero coaching experience because he sounds polished on a TV program.

I hope they get Ausmus. But a small, small part of me hopes the Nats lose next year, to see the mental gymnastics as everyone tries to convince themselves it’s still the manager’s fault.

Mark DeRosa would be a very interesting hire considering he has zero managerial experience.  I don't disagree with you on him getting a lot of love because he's smooth on teevee but he's an insaely intelligent person both on and off the diamond (UPenn, his work with the late '00s Cubs teams). Of the guys left Ausmus would be an interesting hire too but no chance he makes it more than two years given what's been happening with this team and managers the past six seasons. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #1355: October 20, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »
Put me on record as predicting that we will hire a manager who give us our best chance to win the NLDS, and we won't make the playoffs.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1356: October 20, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
What did Ausmus do in Detroit that makes people clamor for him here?  That I don't get.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1357: October 20, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »
But a small, small part of me hopes the Nats lose next year, to see the mental gymnastics as everyone tries to convince themselves it’s still the manager’s fault.

No one thinks it’s all the manager’s fault, but someone is going to take the fall, the players have guaranteed contracts or skill sets unique enough that you can’t just fire them and Rizzo isn’t firing himself, that leaves the manager

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1358: October 20, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
some might. They'll also see that there are only 30 of these positions available in the world and one of them is open. And you have the chance to win right away. There will be a lot of interest in this position.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #1359: October 20, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »

Dusty had viable replacements for Werth and kept trotting him out there.  Not at least removing one of Werth or Weiters from the lineup when they both became a black hole in the line up was inexcusable.  Not to mention continuing to trot Solis out there was infuriating.  I like Dusty a lot but he showed zero desperation in the Cubs series.  His explanation that he just expects a player who's 0-13 to get a hit due to law of averages was also aggravating.  Dusty is a tremendous human being but he leaves a lot to be desired as a manager.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #1360: October 20, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »
I think Dusty is a nice guy, an ok regular season manager, and a bad playoff manager.  Not Matt Williams bad, but bad nonetheless.  Not bringing him (specifically) back is not a huge concern of mine, although he has probably done enough to get another job somewhere if he still wants one.

That said, you have to wonder about who's going to take a job where two division titles in two years gets you canned.  At a minimum, anyone taking that job who has any alternatives would be (a) doing so only because this team has a lot of talent, something that may only be true for one more season and (b) is now likely to ask for a lot more money and/or a longer contract.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1361: October 20, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
Of the guys left Ausmus would be an interesting hire too but no chance he makes it more than two years given what's been happening with this team and managers the past six seasons. 

The Lerner’s have Harper for one year and enough deferred money down the road to fund a second team- the pressure to win now is probably more intense here than anywhere else in the league

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1362: October 20, 2017, 12:49:17 PM »
some might. They'll also see that there are only 30 of these positions available in the world and one of them is open. And you have the chance to win right away. There will be a lot of interest in this position.

Sure, there will be interest from lots of folks. But anyone who has their choice of jobs is going to pass.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1363: October 20, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
Especially with the old man being in his 90s and Mark Lerner facing his own serious health issues.
The Lerner’s have Harper for one year and enough deferred money down the road to fund a second team- the pressure to win now is probably more intense here than anywhere else in the league

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1364: October 20, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »
Sure, there will be interest from lots of folks. But anyone who has their choice of jobs is going to pass.
You think a lot of people are gonna pass on their chance at winning a World Series right away? C'mon now.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1365: October 20, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »
You think a lot of people are gonna pass on their chance at winning a World Series right away? C'mon now.

Another thing to consider, this all could have been because Dusty wouldn't continue to work cheap.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1366: October 20, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
Another thing to consider, this all could have been because Dusty wouldn't continue to work cheap.
Entirely possible.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1367: October 20, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
That would be bad.

Entirely possible.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1368: October 20, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
Other managers make mistakes, but Dusty has been making brain dead decisions for decades. A decade worth in the postseason. Its not just this year. Theres a reason no other fan base looks back at him kindly as a manager.

Thats not to say the next manager will be better, but its a risk you have to take to not be on a hamster wheel while the stakes are so high.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1369: October 20, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »

If you’re young and promising, maybe. If the Red Sox (and maybe Yankees) are open, maybe. Short leash, impatient owners and unwillingness to pay don’t attract the best candidates.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #1370: October 20, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
I agree with avoiding individuals with no experience that gave good interviews as a player. The only reason an Alex Cora would be acceptable, if the Nats had a vacancy, is he spent this season as a bench coach.

Ready for them to announce Baker extension.
:shock: :spit:

I'm ready for them to announce Bryce Harper won't sign an extension for a hometown discount.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1371: October 20, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »
Managers would much rather jump on a team with talent than one that is rebuilding 10 out of 10 times. The problem is choosing the right one

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #1372: October 20, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »
Managers would much rather jump on a team with talent than one that is rebuilding 10 out of 10 times. The problem is choosing the right one
Exactly. Better situation than when they were trying to replace Matt Williams. Not as much off field drama.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1373: October 20, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »
If you’re young and promising, maybe. If the Red Sox (and maybe Yankees) are open, maybe. Short leash, impatient owners and unwillingness to pay don’t attract the best candidates.
Well, the Yanks aren't gonna be open. And it sounds like the Sox gig is filled too. The rest of the openings are going to be for bad teams. There's still a lot we don't know about what went down between the end of the NLDS and now. Lerners have shown a willingness to learn from their mistakes. If they do that here, they'll have no problem finding a top candidate.

Offline drj

« Reply #1374: October 20, 2017, 12:58:43 PM »
Other managers make mistakes, but Dusty has been making brain dead decisions for decades. A decade worth in the postseason. Its not just this year. Theres a reason no other fan base looks back at him kindly as a manager.

Thats not to say the next manager will be better, but its a risk you have to take to not be on a hamster wheel while the stakes are so high.

This is true.  No question that Dusty is liked by all.  He had his chance, and had the resources, and unfortunately, underachieved.