Author Topic: Fire Dusty Baker!  (Read 107622 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Fire Dusty Baker!
« Reply #1475: October 22, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
So Baker captures 2 division titles in back to back years versus 4 bad clubs in the worst division in MLB yet Baker and the fans around here are upset and “surprised” he has been “DISMISSED” from his duties??????...... give me a freaking break.

I was warned about lame brain Baker before he arrived here but didn’t want to believe it. He simply doesn’t have the brain capacity to think beyond what is happening directly in front of his face at that moment. If he were truly such a  “players coach” as they say, you would think those same players would have found a way to win something for the old buzzard. TOO TOO BAD, SO SO SAD. ☹️
I probably would not have hired him in the first place, but, if the Nats management thought he was worth hiring to begin with, what unDusty-like thing did he do over the past 2 years to convince management, "OMG, that's not what we expected when we hired Dusty Baker, so let's move on?"  Arguably, he was better this year than anyone thought he would be based off his track record before the hire.  He handled 14 different outfielders, had more position players make contributions out of our minor league system than perhaps ever before (Taylor, Difo, Sanchez, Goodwin - that's a starter and most of a bench), even got some good use out of AAAA guys like Cole.  For a guy who was supposed to be a veteran's manager, I'd say that was a positive surprise.

Maybe what management would say is that, after the Williams debacle, we needed someone to rebuild chemistry, keep things loose, get veterans to produce, and steady the ship so the talent could just perform.  If we made a mistake, it was going to be with a guy with a track record rather than 1st time manager like Williams.  Maybe now they say, hey, we righted the ship, the team can self-motivate, so now we just need someone who is tactically smarter.

If this is the case, then I could see Farrell getting a look.  I'm not a huge Farrell guy because he has minimal influence on his clubhouse, but he also managed and helped integrate into starting roles young players like Betts / Bogaerts / Benintendi / Bradley / Shaw, which could be the Nats version of Robles / Taylor / Difo / Catcher X / Soto.