Author Topic: Fire Dusty Baker!  (Read 107353 times)

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
Re: Re: Fire Dusty Baker!
« Reply #1425: October 20, 2017, 04:48:31 PM »
Dusty gone, BS sperging out? Didn't expect to find a reason to live today.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1426: October 20, 2017, 04:50:33 PM »
I guarantee that you can’t get a ring if you don’t make the playoffs...only a extremely entitled fan base thinks missing the playoffs is superior to anything short of a championship. And I see no reason to justify that level of entitlement.

How about a fanbase that had deal with no team followed by terrible teams culminating in 100 loss season while being told that the payoff is down the road. I guess fans at least have the other championships local teams have won. I guess fans should revel in the nats one of only 10 teams to make the playoffs- that seems to be the spin the caps are getting lately

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1427: October 20, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »
:hysterical:

Literally no one said this.

Look upon the results. Maddon was great.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #1428: October 20, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »
Maybe the Mets will sign him

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1429: October 20, 2017, 05:01:04 PM »
How about a fanbase that had deal with no team followed by terrible teams culminating in 100 loss season while being told that the payoff is down the road. I guess fans at least have the other championships local teams have won. I guess fans should revel in the nats one of only 10 teams to make the playoffs- that seems to be the spin the caps are getting lately

Ask Mariners fans, or Rays fans...or any number of fan bases that would trade places with the Nats.
I’m not saying anyone should revel in playoff losses. I’m saying the attitude that you’d rather miss the playoffs if you can’t win the World Series is absurd.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #1430: October 20, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
I damn well hope they don't "know" the window is closing.  I don't know it's closing and I sure hope that the long range plan is continued success over the long term, as stated.

But let's say they know it's closing.  And they have a plan to win it all next year.  Have they had secret communication with Joe Girardi, he's leaving the Yankees and coming here?  Probably not  (though that would be nice).   Then what?  I think they eliminated the best chance we had of winning next year.  Why?  Not that Dusty is that great, but because there is nobody available who gives us better odds of winning it all.

With the young talent in the system, the Werth contract rolling off, and two aces locked in for the foreseeable future, I don't see the window closing. The Harper window is closing, so they need to mitigate that. This is an interesting move. I have mixed feelings. I have never liked Dusty, but it seemed that his ability to be a players manager was what this talented team needed to at least perform during the regular season, stay loose and focused. I can second guess a lot of Dusty moves, but he wasn't the one failing to hit. Any really critical decisions shouldn't be left to a manager anyway. That seems ridiculously old school. The organization has the responsibility to make sure things are managed within certain parameters if they are seen as important (e.g. decisions on starters, when certain bullpen guys should be used, etc.) If there is a fundamental baseball disagreement on things, then you can't let the manager go rogue. Everything else looks like second guessing and 20/20 hindsight. If the brain trust didn't want Gio to start or Max to relieve, then it shouldn't have happened anyway. But doubtful that was the case.

This is one of those "standard decisions". When you have an expectation to progress to the next round and fail, you dump the manager. Rizzo getting axed would be the next "standard decision." Doesn't always seem fair or logical, but it happens all the time. They just better have a quality replacement in mind, or they risk blowing up the chemistry, which seemed like the one thing Dusty was good at handling. If on the other hand, certain key players were less than supportive, then that could have factored in as well.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1431: October 20, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »
Look upon the results. Maddon was great.

Did Roberts manage circles around Maddon?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1432: October 20, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »
Ask Mariners fans, or Rays fans...or any number of fan bases that would trade places with the Nats.
I’m not saying anyone should revel in playoff losses. I’m saying the attitude that you’d rather miss the playoffs if you can’t win the World Series is absurd.

Who said when the World Series- I’d take the nlcs at this point. As far as the mariners fans go, I’m guessing they’re enjoying the seahawks’

Offline Slateman

« Reply #1433: October 20, 2017, 05:31:39 PM »
Did Roberts manage circles around Maddon?

Naw, he simply had a much better team that player with an edge. Probably got it from Dave "Everyone knows I'm stealing but freak you I'm taking this base" Roberts

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1434: October 20, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »
It sucks to see Dusty leave because I really thought he did a great job with the clubhouse. He was bad with in-game management where it really needed to count, which really hurts. I like Dusty Baker, and I think he wasn't as "old school" as people made him out to be as a manager. I think this was his last shot though and Game 5 was rife with bad managing decisions, and the best team to win was not used and it was due to favoritism to players.

Now I will start my symbolic "Give Dave a chance" rhetoric.

Offline whytev

« Reply #1435: October 20, 2017, 06:01:32 PM »
It sucks to see Dusty leave because I really thought he did a great job with the clubhouse. He was bad with in-game management where it really needed to count, which really hurts. I like Dusty Baker, and I think he wasn't as "old school" as people made him out to be as a manager. I think this was his last shot though and Game 5 was rife with bad managing decisions, and the best team to win was not used and it was due to favoritism to players.

Now I will start my symbolic "Give Dave a chance" rhetoric.

What Dusty needed to do was have the best pitching coach, hitting coach, and bench coach imaginable, and listen to them at all times.

I truly believe he deserves credit for keeping players happy and making Michael Taylor good.

But in game, everything needs to come from some sort of lieutenant.  Maybe Spier is terrible?  I dunno.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1436: October 20, 2017, 06:21:20 PM »
What Dusty needed to do was have the best pitching coach, hitting coach, and bench coach imaginable, and listen to them at all times.

I truly believe he deserves credit for keeping players happy and making Michael Taylor good.

But in game, everything needs to come from some sort of lieutenant.  Maybe Spier is terrible?  I dunno.

Dusty had the supposedly best pitching coaching arch

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1437: October 20, 2017, 06:30:29 PM »

Dusty had a decent staff, and made some good decisions during the season, but in the post season, when precision is key, he came up lame. I don't like the firing mostly because it reeks of another awful ownership decision, but the modern game needs a modern minded manager. LA is proving that Roberts really doesn't need to do much more than just listen to what the FO tells him to do, and they put the talent around him and tell him what buttons to push.

I don't think a successful team needs to do that, but you certainly need a guy who is trusting more than "his gut".

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1438: October 20, 2017, 06:32:49 PM »
I guarantee that you can’t get a ring if you don’t make the playoffs...only a extremely entitled fan base thinks missing the playoffs is superior to anything short of a championship. And I see no reason to justify that level of entitlement.

You would probably hire Marty Schottenheimer to coach an NFL team.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1439: October 20, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »
Agreed. I'd hope for both.

Offline whytev

« Reply #1440: October 20, 2017, 06:39:15 PM »
Dusty had the supposedly best pitching coaching arch

The second part is listening.  There is no way Maddux believed in Solís the way Dusty did.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #1441: October 20, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
I have mixed emotions.  Dusty did a good job for two years but the last game of this year left me feeling sick.  The decision to pitch Gonsalez worried me.  The guy got in trouble right away.  Putting Werth in left field was awful.  He couldn't see the ball.  He was clearly a liability and wasn't hitting either.  Putting Max in seemed like the right move at the time but everything went haywire after that.  So all Dusty did for two years was win and win some more, but in the end, it wasn't enough.   

Offline Optics

« Reply #1442: October 20, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »
I have mixed emotions.  Dusty did a good job for two years but the last game of this year left me feeling sick.  The decision to pitch Gonsalez worried me.  The guy got in trouble right away.  Putting Werth in left field was awful.  He couldn't see the ball.  He was clearly a liability and wasn't hitting either.  Putting Max in seemed like the right move at the time but everything went haywire after that.  So all Dusty did for two years was win and win some more, but in the end, it wasn't enough.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I like Dusty and think he did a good job, but at the end of the day this team needs a cunning, ruthless shark for October baseball and Dusty is anything but that.

So now the question is, who do we get? I don't necessarily think we need someone with tons of experience. The Dodgers hired Dave Roberts who had very little experience and they're in the World Series. Is Alex Cora the next Dave Roberts? Will be interesting for sure...

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #1443: October 20, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »
Why is Brad Ausmus' name being thrown around by some people here? 

Offline whytev

« Reply #1444: October 20, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »

I wish I knew. He’s barely a step above Williams.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1445: October 20, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »

Well, if you don’t want to trust “the last year of the window” to someone completely unproven, then options are limited. I doubt the Lerners will pay for someone that has a ring (Farrell) and no one is really excited about other managers with experience.

I think Ausmus didn’t have clubhouse problems and you certainly can’t blame this year on him. If as everyone here thinks, a trained seal could win the division, then Ausmus is your guy. He brings modern thinking to his decision making.  Not “standard decision” that everyone here seems to loath. Pair him with Maddux and it could work.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline Slateman

« Reply #1448: October 20, 2017, 08:18:24 PM »
Baker failed in the playoffs. Again. For like the 30th freaking time. He is what he is. If you want Dusty to be the manager, then you're saying you don't care about postseason success. You're happy being the Capitals of baseball.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #1449: October 20, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »
Buck Showalter.