Author Topic: Where did your avatar come from?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Where did your avatar come from?
« Reply #25: October 12, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »
I have epilepsy from an accident as a kid.  I moved to the DC area because I couldn't drive and the subway would help me get around town.  But I had brain surgery years ago at Johns Hopkins.  The docs found a scar on the side of my brain and trimmed it off.  The seizures stopped.

A few days before I went into the operating room, this Far Side cartoon was in the Washington Post.  I cut it out of the paper and took it with me into the operating room.  I stuck it in the pocket of the antithesiologist and asked him to give it to the surgeon when he was done.

First thing I remember hearing when I came to in intensive care was some of the interns walking around.  One said to the other "There's the one with the Far Side cartoon".

I wrote to Far Side a few years ago asking which book might have the cartoon from 1986.  They sent me a jpeg file.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."  And then we'd watch Ryan Zimmerman play baseball.

Never mind, you win. :)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #26: October 13, 2015, 11:11:22 PM »
You know Imref - words don't exist that could possibly describe the awesomeness of your ideas here.  Without being too deviant, maybe we can meet before a Nats game next year and you can feel the scar in my head.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."  And then we'd watch Ryan Zimmerman play baseball.

Never mind, you win. :)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: October 14, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »
You know Imref - words don't exist that could possibly describe the awesomeness of your ideas here.  Without being too deviant, maybe we can meet before a Nats game next year and you can feel the scar in my head.

i was quoting from an old old monty python skit, didn't mean to offend.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #28: October 14, 2015, 02:51:39 PM »
i was quoting from an old old monty python skit, didn't mean to offend.

I think that scar tissue was atrophied sarcasm detectors, but it's all good.  We love mathguy for his childish innocence.   :cheers:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #29: October 14, 2015, 04:43:29 PM »
Why do you say that, Tom?

I think that scar tissue was atrophied sarcasm detectors, but it's all good.  We love mathguy for his childish innocence.   :cheers:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: October 14, 2015, 05:03:34 PM »

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #31: October 15, 2015, 01:25:58 AM »
I have epilepsy from an accident as a kid.  I moved to the DC area because I couldn't drive and the subway would help me get around town.  But I had brain surgery years ago at Johns Hopkins.  The docs found a scar on the side of my brain and trimmed it off.  The seizures stopped.

A few days before I went into the operating room, this Far Side cartoon was in the Washington Post.  I cut it out of the paper and took it with me into the operating room.  I stuck it in the pocket of the antithesiologist and asked him to give it to the surgeon when he was done.

First thing I remember hearing when I came to in intensive care was some of the interns walking around.  One said to the other "There's the one with the Far Side cartoon".

I wrote to Far Side a few years ago asking which book might have the cartoon from 1986.  They sent me a jpeg file.

wow that is so cool, thanks for sharing

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #32: October 16, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »
Cool story MathGuy

Mine are from photo's I've taken. The current - off season - picture is just an old guy fishing in Budva, Montenegro - seems appropriate for the off season

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #33: October 18, 2015, 10:08:03 AM »
I know nothing, I see nothing...