Author Topic: Trea Turner Appreciation Station  (Read 32889 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Trea Turner Appreciation Station
« Reply #425: September 13, 2016, 07:38:40 PM »
That catch was pretty encouraging.

It showed his lack of experience. That was Harper's catch the whole way.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #426: September 14, 2016, 12:44:29 AM »
Uh... I guess? Was a nice catch. That was probably Harper's (he was in position to make a much easier catch). Could've collided. I'm sure Harper was saying something under his glove...

If the CF can get to it...it's his ball...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #427: September 14, 2016, 08:08:16 AM »

FP made a comment that was interesting after a few meetings in RC.    He said something to the effect that Harper is learning Turner's speed.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #428: September 14, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »

Eh. I'd rather have the RF making a relativly easy play than a CF having to make an exceptional one

Offline Ray D

« Reply #429: September 14, 2016, 09:30:23 AM »
If the rightfielder calls for it (and I don't know if Harper did) then yes, it is the centerfielders prerogative to call him off.  However he is supposed to make a judgement that he has a better chance to catch it before making that call

Offline whytev

« Reply #430: September 14, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »
Eh. I'd rather have the RF making a relativly easy play than a CF having to make an exceptional one

Other than the heads up dodge for safety, that wasn't an exceptional play.

Trea is playing CF, which means he gets the call if it's close. He's the captain of the OF.

He has enormous range, and has been getting what looks to me to be a pretty good (not Span) first step. I think he had a much better first step than Taylor, for example.

Bryce is going to get used to having less to do, just like he got used to having more to do with Revere there.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #431: September 17, 2016, 08:21:01 PM »
We all had high hopes for Turner, but if anyone on WNFF had claimed he'd be hitting ..356/.377/.585 with double digit homers at any point in his career I would have called you career. He's doing it as a rookie!

I was excited about Turner but never would have expected this type of production. I would have been pretty excited with a line around .280/.320/.430 knowing his speed on the bases.

If he ever approaches those plate numbers again while racking up 50 steals and playing defense up the middle then he has to be an MVP

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #432: September 18, 2016, 08:36:20 PM »
We all had high hopes for Turner, but if anyone on WNFF had claimed he'd be hitting ..356/.377/.585 with double digit homers at any point in his career I would have called you career. He's doing it as a rookie!

I was excited about Turner but never would have expected this type of production. I would have been pretty excited with a line around .280/.320/.430 knowing his speed on the bases.

If he ever approaches those plate numbers again while racking up 50 steals and playing defense up the middle then he has to be an MVP

We knew he had the speed.  I had doubts he had the OBP necessary to really utilize the speed, but sure had hopes he could.  But who thought he had this sort of power? 

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #433: September 19, 2016, 01:37:10 AM »
So can anyone explain to me is a he a rookie this year or is he going to be a rookie next year? I saw that he can't win a battling title because he doesnt have enough ABs but what I'm wondering is how does this rookie thing work?

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #434: September 19, 2016, 01:48:21 AM »
We knew he had the speed.  I had doubts he had the OBP necessary to really utilize the speed, but sure had hopes he could.  But who thought he had this sort of power?
The one thing that was a positive on his scouting report that is far more than I hoped was the talk of his hitting line drives and solid contact. if he makes contact, it is usually pretty hard but even if he makes weak contact he has made those into hits also. I am surprised how many teams are still trying to get him out up in the strike zone. i get they want him to hit flyballs but he likes the ball up and gets on top of most of them.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #435: September 19, 2016, 01:57:25 AM »
So can anyone explain to me is a he a rookie this year or is he going to be a rookie next year? I saw that he can't win a battling title because he doesnt have enough ABs but what I'm wondering is how does this rookie thing work?

Yes, because he had less than 130 ABs (or 50 games) last year -- he's a rook. He will not be one next year. He does not qualify for batting title because he hasn't had enough plate apperances to qualify (3 something a game or  ~500 PAs in a season)

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #436: September 19, 2016, 02:42:10 AM »
Yes, because he had less than 130 ABs (or 50 games) last year -- he's a rook. He will not be one next year. He does not qualify for batting title because he hasn't had enough plate apperances to qualify (3 something a game or  ~500 PAs in a season)
Thanks man

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #437: September 26, 2016, 05:19:19 PM »
Turner is brutal in CF as I had correctly predicted. Any ball in his path whether it's in front of him or behind him is an adventure. He freezes up for a second and can't judge the trajectory correctly off the bat quick enough which leads him to having late jumps and then botching the play. Dusty should have kept him at CF since it seems like he'll be the playoff CF. All those games that he played second just took away valuable practice time which he sorely needs. If the team wants him to play CF next year then I'm sure he'll be much better as he'll get a lot more work in during spring training. But for now he's a liability on balls in his path. He's blown plays that experienced outfielders in high school could have made. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #438: September 26, 2016, 05:20:53 PM »
Turner is brutal in CF as I had correctly predicted. Any ball in his path whether it's in front of him or behind him is an adventure. He freezes up for a second and can't judge the trajectory correctly off the bat quick enough which leads him to having late jumps and then botching the play. Dusty should have kept him at CF since it seems like he'll be the playoff CF. All those games that he played second just took away valuable practice time which he sorely needs. If the team wants him to play CF next year then I'm sure he'll be much better as he'll get a lot more work in during spring training. But for now he's a liability on balls in his path. He's blown plays that experienced outfielders in high school could have made.

I predict he gets double switched to the infield at around inning 5 or 6 every game.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #439: September 26, 2016, 05:57:03 PM »
So according to you the Nats are pretty crap at two of the most important defensive spots in the field (SS & CF). We know your high school scouting colleagues agree Espinosa is below average and may as well fall over limp if a ball is hit to his left.

I think we can all agree Werth and Murphy aren't being paid for the gloves. Harper is Harper. The Nationals have been leaning all season on a lot of backups like Drew, Revere, and Robinson who on their best days are averages gloves.

You'll probably call me a "Fangraphs nerd" for using stats, but with the Nats fielding so many players not known for their gloves and having a manager you consider mediocre, how do the Nationals have the least errors in the majors? And the best fielding percentage? And a positive team UZR and defensive WAR?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #440: September 26, 2016, 06:07:51 PM »
So according to you the Nats are pretty crap at two of the most important defensive spots in the field (SS & CF). We know your high school scouting colleagues agree Espinosa is below average and may as well fall over limp if a ball is hit to his left.

I think we can all agree Werth and Murphy aren't being paid for the gloves. Harper is Harper. The Nationals have been leaning all season on a lot of backups like Drew, Revere, and Robinson who on their best days are averages gloves.

You'll probably call me a "Fangraphs nerd" for using stats, but with the Nats fielding so many players not known for their gloves and having a manager you consider mediocre, how do the Nationals have the least errors in the majors? And the best fielding percentage? And a positive team UZR and defensive WAR?

I think they're using positioning stats pretty well this year. IIRC, they hired an actual coach for that, but I'm not sure Dusty retained him. Guessing the FO has some advance scouts/analytics guys on it, and Speier sets it up day-to-day. Murphy, IMO, has played better than UZR gives him credit for. Face is an outstanding 1B when he plays, which makes up for a lot of errant throws. I'm not getting into the Danny/Turner convo again

Offline whytev

« Reply #441: September 26, 2016, 06:46:57 PM »
I think they're using positioning stats pretty well this year. IIRC, they hired an actual coach for that, but I'm not sure Dusty retained him. Guessing the FO has some advance scouts/analytics guys on it, and Speier sets it up day-to-day. Murphy, IMO, has played better than UZR gives him credit for. Face is an outstanding 1B when he plays, which makes up for a lot of errant throws. I'm not getting into the Danny/Turner convo again

The extreme shifts with a runner on being allowed to steal annoy me. And the outfield positioning has been lax as of late. Still otherwise way better.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #442: September 26, 2016, 08:46:10 PM »

chill, too.  it's been a while since the last round of insults, so why renew it?  Sounds like who fired the first shot in some border conflict.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #443: September 26, 2016, 08:51:18 PM »
I predict he gets double switched to the infield at around inning 5 or 6 every game.
I hope they bring a flexible line up to the playoffs.  This is why I think a 14 position player, 11 pitcher roster makes sense.  There are probably going to be times you want the option of PH'ng Revere when you need contact, putting in better defenders when you have a late lead, etc...  With Murphy's stiffness, you could see Turner switching to 2d when we are up late, too, with Murphy or RZ coming out.

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #444: September 26, 2016, 08:56:15 PM »
Turner's route to the ball that was just a home run was brutal. He took a ( route to the ball when he should have gone in a straight line. If it stayed in the park and was catchable, he would have made a over the (right) shoulder catch.

It's too late, but Turner should be at short and Goodwin/Revere should be playing center field. I agree with some that there might be some double switches late in the game or maybe be replaced defensively. I think it depends on Zim. If zim is cold then Murph will move to first and Turner will go to 2nd while someone takes over cf duties.

Offline whytev

« Reply #445: September 26, 2016, 09:35:20 PM »
Turner's route to the ball that was just a home run was brutal. He took a ( route to the ball when he should have gone in a straight line. If it stayed in the park and was catchable, he would have made a over the (right) shoulder catch.

It's too late, but Turner should be at short and Goodwin/Revere should be playing center field. I agree with some that there might be some double switches late in the game or maybe be replaced defensively. I think it depends on Zim. If zim is cold then Murph will move to first and Turner will go to 2nd while someone takes over cf duties.

If Zim is cold and Dusty has the stones to deal with it properly:

Turner 2B
Werth LF
Murphy 1B
Rendon 3B (let me dream)
Harper RF
Ramos C
Goodwin CF
Espinosa SS

But to be honest, if anything happens to Zim it will probably Drew's bat and not Goodwin's they will want.

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #446: September 27, 2016, 05:30:49 AM »

Turner 2B
Werth LF
Murphy 1B
Rendon 3B (let me dream)
Harper RF
Ramos C
Goodwin CF
Espinosa SS

But to be honest, if anything happens to Zim it will probably Drew's bat and not Goodwin's they will want.

Even if Drew could play 1B, I think Dusty likes having a solid bench bat to pinch hit in a crucial situation. I have no confidence in Clint this year. I like Drew then Heisey off the bench. I'd like to see the numbers for Heisey when he starts and when he comes off the bench. I swear it seems like he hits better off the bench. I don't mind Goodwin at CF either. Goodwin is solid enough on defense and seemingly very good on offense. I hope he gets more at bats in this last week of play.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #447: September 27, 2016, 10:23:20 AM »

Turner 2B
Werth LF
Murphy 1B
Rendon 3B (let me dream)
Harper RF
Ramos C
Goodwin CF
Espinosa SS

Don't forget to replace Ramos with Lobaton/Severino.  Lineup now probably is something like
Turner CF
Werth LF
Murphy 2B
Harper RF
Rendon 3B (let me dream)
Zimmerman 1B
Espinosa SS
Lobaton/Severino C

Can't say I feel too good about that.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #448: September 27, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »
The Nats are also 6th best in defensive BABIP.

I give a lot of that credit to the organization for the emphasis on defensive positioning and stressing it with the every day players. I don't think it is a surprise a player like Murphy improves a bit when he joins a team that stresses defense. Espinosa may be frustrating but he is the only guy we have who plays more for his glove than his bat. And before someone jumps is, Zim is just playing because of his contract. Have to give credit to Espi for being the defensive captain on a pretty darn solid defensive team.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #449: September 27, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »

Turner 2B
Werth LF
Murphy 1B
Rendon 3B (let me dream)
Harper RF
Ramos C
Goodwin CF
Espinosa SS

I said it last nite to Tom Terp that Drew is the key to the success of the Nats in the playoffs. He should play 2B and have Trip at SS replacing 169 K's Espi. Revere or Goodwin in CF depending on the next 6 games performance. Murph to 1B.