Author Topic: Trea Turner Appreciation Station  (Read 32817 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Trea Turner Appreciation Station
« Reply #325: September 03, 2016, 04:46:47 PM »
Turner will undoubtedly be the runner-up for ROTY, but in any other year that didn't feature Seager he'd probably wi
If he had started when Seager started, he'd win it

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #326: September 03, 2016, 05:24:44 PM »
easily

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #327: September 03, 2016, 10:41:35 PM »
TVT should be the starting SS.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #328: September 03, 2016, 10:50:10 PM »
center field is fine, given this roster.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #329: September 03, 2016, 10:53:35 PM »

QFT. Putting him in centerfield is just weakening your lineup for no reason.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #330: September 04, 2016, 12:38:22 AM »
This is a meaningless discussion piece already. Can we just say that both Danny AND Revere suck and just drop the convo? One is going to start...

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #331: September 04, 2016, 12:45:11 AM »
Trea Turner can make the easy play in CF all the time, but has been iffy on difficult plays. I pray that he does not cost this team a win in the playoffs by making a mistake on defense. CF is not his natural position and if he makes a mistake to cost this team a win in the playoffs, NO ONE better be criticizing him. It will by Dusty's fault for putting a kid at a difficult defensive position which he hasn't played since his freshman year in high school. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #332: September 04, 2016, 02:48:32 AM »
If he had started when Seager started, he'd win it

I don't agree. L.A. is a bigger market and Seager has more power, which people like. I'd say Turner would have more WAR, but he probably wouldn't get the nod.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #333: September 04, 2016, 05:51:19 AM »
This is a meaningless discussion piece already. Can we just say that both Danny AND Revere suck and just drop the convo? One is going to start...
We could maybe try to sign the Inanimate Carbon Rod down the stretch, but he'd be ineligible for the playoffs.  There goes one idea for an upgrade. 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #334: September 05, 2016, 01:58:35 AM »
Above average or good bazooka arm? https://streamable.com/club

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #335: September 05, 2016, 02:21:07 AM »

An average base runner trying to go from 1st to 3rd on a shallow hit to center deserves to get gunned out

Offline whytev

« Reply #336: September 05, 2016, 04:17:18 AM »

Revere makes that throw maybe one time in six.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #337: September 05, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »
I hope you're not seriously citing that throw as evidence that he has a strong enough arm to play shortstop.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #338: September 05, 2016, 10:39:55 AM »

Above average. Doesn't mean he has the arm to play SS but it also doesn't rule him out from having the arm to play SS.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #339: September 05, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »
Who cares about his arm, we should be more concerned that he's suddenly 1 for his last 10 and 3 for his last 14.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #340: September 05, 2016, 10:49:52 AM »
Who cares about his arm, we should be more concerned that he's suddenly 1 for his last 10 and 3 for his last 14.
That's a pretty small sample size to say anything.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #341: September 05, 2016, 10:50:19 AM »
That's a pretty small sample size to say anything.

SSS is what this place is all about :stir:

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #342: September 05, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
An average base runner trying to go from 1st to 3rd on a shallow hit to center deserves to get gunned out

I hope you're not seriously citing that throw as evidence that he has a strong enough arm to play shortstop.

It was a joke.

That said, no he doesn't. Revere's noodle arm doesn't get there even if he puts enough oomph and comes out of his shoes.

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #343: September 05, 2016, 07:31:25 PM »

Who's better at balls hit behind them? I can tell you it's not Turner. Revere has stolen two home runs and Trea has watched one sail a foot behind the fence because his jump and footwork did not get him to the fence in time.
Trea did not make a play on a ball that barely cleared the fence last week as he did not get a good jump on it. Revere would have had a better chance to steal another home run. Revere has a weaker arm, but stronger at catching outs and not letting the ball drop.

Offline whytev

« Reply #344: September 05, 2016, 07:58:41 PM »
Who's better at balls hit behind them? I can tell you it's not Turner. Revere has stolen two home runs and Trea has watched one sail a foot behind the fence because his jump and footwork did not get him to the fence in time.
Trea did not make a play on a ball that barely cleared the fence last week as he did not get a good jump on it. Revere would have had a better chance to steal another home run. Revere has a weaker arm, but stronger at catching outs and not letting the ball drop.

These things will either come with experience, or they won't because he gets an infield job next year.

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #345: September 05, 2016, 09:56:21 PM »
These things will either come with experience, or they won't because he gets an infield job next year.

I highly doubt he'll be at CF next season. The CF's job is to cut balls off in the alley and rob hitters of xbh and the occasional dinger. Most times, the angles are easy except when its hit right at you, but when it's behind you then it's an adventure. Dusty should have kept trea at CF even though I don't like him there, because if he's the starting CF in the playoffs he better get as many reps as he can.

I was really upset when he didn't play CF at ATT. I don't know if it's because Dusty didn't trust him there as it's one of the hardest parks to play CF at, but he should have been the starter to be challenged and learn the position. CF do not get that many hard chances, but when they do it's really difficult. Plus just in case the nats were to play the giants (it doesn't look like they will) he would have some experience playing in that yard. Even now, Dusty is moving him back and forth. It's not a position that he excels at yet. He has to tools, but not the experience so it makes no sense of dusty to not give him that experience. Even dusty has mentioned that he worried about trea learning new things like crow hops and banana routes and having to learn how to throw differently. Infielders typically throw 3/4 or sling it low like Rendon does. You can't throw like that when you're an outfielder because the ball will tail away from your target and you can't get as much mustard as you can throwing over the top. I've played CF/RF for 36 years and have seen infielders screw up a lot of times when they had to fill in because we were an OF short that day and some of these guys were ex college/minor league guys who have shagged balls and thought it would be easy.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #346: September 05, 2016, 10:04:27 PM »
Playing a ball off a hop in the OF is pretty freaking difficult -- agreed. Same thing with adjusting your arm slot. Luckily, Trea takes all his throws from SS when warming up, so I'm sure he still is throwing (close to anyways) overhand, even when practicing in the infield.

Offline whytev

« Reply #347: September 05, 2016, 11:20:38 PM »
I highly doubt he'll be at CF next season. The CF's job is to cut balls off in the alley and rob hitters of xbh and the occasional dinger. Most times, the angles are easy except when its hit right at you, but when it's behind you then it's an adventure. Dusty should have kept trea at CF even though I don't like him there, because if he's the starting CF in the playoffs he better get as many reps as he can.

I was really upset when he didn't play CF at ATT. I don't know if it's because Dusty didn't trust him there as it's one of the hardest parks to play CF at, but he should have been the starter to be challenged and learn the position. CF do not get that many hard chances, but when they do it's really difficult. Plus just in case the nats were to play the giants (it doesn't look like they will) he would have some experience playing in that yard. Even now, Dusty is moving him back and forth. It's not a position that he excels at yet. He has to tools, but not the experience so it makes no sense of dusty to not give him that experience. Even dusty has mentioned that he worried about trea learning new things like crow hops and banana routes and having to learn how to throw differently. Infielders typically throw 3/4 or sling it low like Rendon does. You can't throw like that when you're an outfielder because the ball will tail away from your target and you can't get as much mustard as you can throwing over the top. I've played CF/RF for 36 years and have seen infielders screw up a lot of times when they had to fill in because we were an OF short that day and some of these guys were ex college/minor league guys who have shagged balls and thought it would be easy.

I freaking hate the OF. I can't go back worth crap. I find it way harder than the IF.

I think he'll get lots of reps by the playoffs. I also think he'll be out of CF next year. If we have a lead, we can always run out the reinforcements. If Revere were on the bench and we were protecting a lead in a playoff game, would you rather run him out for Werth, or for Turner (bumping him to 2nd and moving Murphy to 1st)? I kinda wanna say Werth.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #348: September 06, 2016, 09:21:06 AM »
He has 188 innings in at CF in the majors this year.  Figure he ends up with 350+.  Probably could have been 500+.  I think the Zimmerman injury messed that up.  He has 221 innings at 2d. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #349: September 06, 2016, 11:26:23 AM »
He has 188 innings in at CF in the majors this year.  Figure he ends up with 350+.  Probably could have been 500+.  I think the Zimmerman injury messed that up.  He has 221 innings at 2d.

The Zimmerman injury got him a bunch of extra at bats and made him indespencible enough to take Revere's job.