Author Topic: Trea Turner Appreciation Station  (Read 32515 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Trea Turner Appreciation Station
« Reply #275: August 26, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »
He is fun to watch.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #276: August 26, 2016, 10:34:42 PM »
Just went to check on Michael Taylor who is absolutely stinking it up in the minors. .077 AVG and 16 Ks in his last 10. Don't see Turner moving from CF anytime soon.

Eh, we have Revere and some other talent for CF, including Taylor (who isn't that awful). Turner is the long term plan at SS. But he has the athletic ability to win a Gold Glove in CF

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #277: August 26, 2016, 11:02:38 PM »
Janes:

Harper on Turner: "I was thinking tonight, imagine if he was up in May, June, or July...We might've already ran away with this thing."

Offline Optics

« Reply #278: August 26, 2016, 11:32:45 PM »
I'll say it:

best leadoff hitter in baseball already.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #279: August 26, 2016, 11:37:58 PM »
He generates a buzz at the plate and on the bases like no player I've seen in a Nats uniform except for Harper when he's on a roll.

Offline Optics

« Reply #280: August 27, 2016, 12:09:33 AM »
He generates a buzz at the plate and on the bases like no player I've seen in a Nats uniform except for Harper when he's on a roll.

I'd put Alfonso Soriano in 2006 up there, but the team wasn't any good back then so its not the same comparison.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #281: August 27, 2016, 12:14:11 AM »
I'd put Alfonso Soriano in 2006 up there, but the team wasn't any good back then so its not the same comparison.

Good call. I can't remember that far back though. :mg:

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #282: August 27, 2016, 12:22:51 AM »
Still dont get why teams keep throwing him fastballs up. He crushes them. I assume its all offspeed low and in for him soon.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #283: August 27, 2016, 08:07:37 AM »
Trea Turner has been really fun to watch, but if he wants to keep hitting .350 he's gonna have to learn how to lay off breaking pitches.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #284: August 27, 2016, 08:45:47 AM »
Trea Turner has been really fun to watch, but if he wants to keep hitting .350 he's gonna have to learn how to lay off breaking pitches.

Basically any curve or change down and in, he swings at and I dont get why they are not just throwing him that 3 times every AB because I havent seen him hit one solidly yet.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #285: August 27, 2016, 09:47:17 AM »
Janes:

Harper on Turner: "I was thinking tonight, imagine if he was up in May, June, or July...We might've already ran away with this thing."
FP and Phil Wood are going to be so mad reading that.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #286: August 27, 2016, 09:53:31 AM »
Basically any curve or change down and in, he swings at and I dont get why they are not just throwing him that 3 times every AB because I havent seen him hit one solidly yet.

They figured it out with Bryce in 2012 - 2013. They will figure it out with Trea.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #287: August 27, 2016, 10:15:53 AM »
Just went to check on Michael Taylor who is absolutely stinking it up in the minors. .077 AVG and 16 Ks in his last 10. Don't see Turner moving from CF anytime soon.
I see Turner at SS IF Revere hits in ST.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #288: August 27, 2016, 10:28:10 AM »
Ya can't figure out speed.    Watchin' Trea if/once he gets on changes things dramatically.    He'll get on enough to create problems.    The rest of the guys gotta cash it in.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #289: August 27, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »
Ya can't figure out speed.    Watchin' Trea if/once he gets on changes things dramatically.    He'll get on enough to create problems.    The rest of the guys gotta cash it in.

Do you guys think a team full of Trea Turners would beat a team of Mike Trouts in a nine inning game if regular pitchers were used?  I think maybe so.

Offline Matugi

« Reply #290: August 27, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
I see Turner at SS IF Revere hits in ST.

Turner isn't a major league SS.  He probably isn't even a major league CF.  He can be a fantastic 2B but obviously we have to let Zim get abducted or something for that to happen.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #291: August 27, 2016, 12:41:11 PM »
Do you guys think a team full of Trea Turners would beat a team of Mike Trouts in a nine inning game if regular pitchers were used?  I think maybe so.
Turner was a holy terror last night, it's been a long time since I've seen someone influence a game to that degree based almost entirely on speed.  However -- and this is a big however -- the reason he was able to do it was the nearly-complete ineptitude of the Rockies on defense.  Two throws by the pitcher into centerfield giving him third base; a shortstop not bothering to throw to first on a ground ball when a good shortstop with a strong arm might have made the play ....  So no I don't think a team of Mike Trouts would lose to a team of Trea Turners.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #292: August 27, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »
Turner was a holy terror last night, it's been a long time since I've seen someone influence a game to that degree based almost entirely on speed.  However -- and this is a big however -- the reason he was able to do it was the nearly-complete ineptitude of the Rockies on defense.  Two throws by the pitcher into centerfield giving him third base; a shortstop not bothering to throw to first on a ground ball when a good shortstop with a strong arm might have made the play ....  So no I don't think a team of Mike Trouts would lose to a team of Trea Turners.

his speed forces errors.  Billy Burns does the same thing.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #293: August 27, 2016, 12:58:17 PM »
his speed forces errors.  Billy Burns does the same thing.
Not near the same level. Burns is the poor man's Billy Hamilton.

Offline whytev

« Reply #294: August 27, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »
Turner isn't a major league SS.  He probably isn't even a major league CF.  He can be a fantastic 2B but obviously we have to let Zim get abducted or something for that to happen.

Zim gets abducted three times a year.

Offline whytev

« Reply #295: August 27, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »
Not near the same level. Burns is the poor man's Billy Hamilton.

Hamilton is the poor man's Turner.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #296: August 27, 2016, 02:01:23 PM »
Hamilton is the poor man's Turner.
:clap:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #297: August 27, 2016, 02:09:07 PM »

Yes. Mike Trout is a typical power hitter. Turner plays the way Charles Leerhsen describes Ty Cobb, in the biography, "A Terrible Beauty". Cobb always looked for a way to keep the other team off balance. If baseball has a rhythm, Cobb changed the rhythm. Like time changes in jazz.

Offline whytev

« Reply #298: August 27, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
Yes. Mike Trout is a typical power hitter. Turner plays the way Charles Leerhsen describes Ty Cobb, in the biography, "A Terrible Beauty". Cobb always looked for a way to keep the other team off balance. If baseball has a rhythm, Cobb changed the rhythm. Like time changes in jazz.

Turner would be better at 2nd, short, and 3rd, and likely better at first.

Trout is probably a better catcher.

The Trout team would be stronger offensively, but the Turner team might make it up on defence.

Also, imagine how many bags Turner would rip if the catcher was an outfielder.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #299: August 27, 2016, 02:16:03 PM »
Turner would be better at 2nd, short, and 3rd, and likely better at first.

Trout is probably a better catcher.

The Trout team would be stronger offensively, but the Turner team might make it up on defence.

Also, imagine how many bags Turner would rip if the catcher was an outfielder.

Sounds like something someone should do in OOTP for fun.