Author Topic: Trea Turner Appreciation Station  (Read 32854 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Trea Turner Appreciation Station
« Reply #150: August 04, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »
It's the second part of this statement that created the myth in the first part. 

I know what you're saying, and I don't think we're really in disagreement. I tried to phrase this carefully because everything I've read on the "second part" is anecdotal but makes sense. Maybe articles have broken down hot zones by natural handedness among lefties in MLB but I haven't seen them.

First part isn't a myth exactly, but I get what you're saying

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #151: August 05, 2016, 10:25:54 AM »
I know what you're saying, and I don't think we're really in disagreement. I tried to phrase this carefully because everything I've read on the "second part" is anecdotal but makes sense. Maybe articles have broken down hot zones by natural handedness among lefties in MLB but I haven't seen them.

First part isn't a myth exactly, but I get what you're saying

That's right - we're not really disagreeing.  My personal anecdote is that the second part is absolutely correct - when I played, I was a right-handed throwing switch-hitter.  I liked high stuff righthanded and lefty the best pitch was right down the middle, about three inches above the knees.  That would be a very interesting article - if I can find the data in a usable form, I might take a crack at it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #152: August 06, 2016, 11:37:44 AM »
Quote from: Alex Leighton, friend
"We were 12 years old in sixth grade. At the first practice, all these eighth graders would get up and sprint and Trea comes out. No one knows him, and he's tiny. But he smokes 'em. Kills 'em all. Then he turns around and says, 'Should I sprint now?'"

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-nationals/post/_/id/1635/not-just-a-folktale-nationals-trea-turner-really-is-that-fast

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #153: August 06, 2016, 11:43:12 AM »
Lookin' straight down the line from our seats, Trea could have had a triple early 'cept Henley held him up at second.   

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #154: August 06, 2016, 11:49:48 AM »
Mike Rizzo got Trea Turner and Joe Ross for Steven Souza. Say it 10 times, write it down, whatever.  Just remember it. Next time you want to crucify Rizzo just realize it's his constant domination of trades that has put Nats in contention.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #155: August 06, 2016, 12:24:20 PM »
Lookin' straight down the line from our seats, Trea could have had a triple early 'cept Henley held him up at second.

I thought Turner didn't really run that full out at the start, maybe he thought it was going to be caught or go foul.  I think that had he run all out from home he would have had the triple.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #156: August 06, 2016, 01:38:58 PM »
I thought Turner didn't really run that full out at the start, maybe he thought it was going to be caught or go foul.  I think that had he run all out from home he would have had the triple.

Could have been  ...  I was watchin' the ball and didn't see his start.    Picked him up as he approached second with an eye on the OF'er.    Maybe he isn't quite that fast.    :)      Folks around us groaned as if they were thinkin' triple also.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #157: August 06, 2016, 02:36:16 PM »
He has eight stolen bases already from what I heard on the radio?  He would get 50 easily in a full season. Unless he hits too many doubles and triples.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #158: August 06, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »
He has eight stolen bases already from what I heard on the radio?  He would get 50 easily in a full season. Unless he hits too many doubles and triples.

and homers

Offline whytev

« Reply #159: August 06, 2016, 02:43:46 PM »

I don't think it's still true but for a while there he had more triples than doubles.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #160: August 12, 2016, 07:48:01 PM »
His arm has looked pretty good to me. Any reason why he isn't getting any looks at SS?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #161: August 12, 2016, 07:50:44 PM »
His arm has looked pretty good to me. Any reason why he isn't getting any looks at SS?
He has an adequate arm for second or center.  He does NOT have an adequate arm for shortstop and that's why he isn't getting any looks there.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #162: August 12, 2016, 08:05:12 PM »
He has an adequate arm for second or center.  He does NOT have an adequate arm for shortstop and that's why he isn't getting any looks there.

Who gives a freak about an arm at 2B? :lol:

His arm is on par with Difo's, IMO -- who is starting at SS today. I'd like to see if he can play there.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #163: August 12, 2016, 08:15:46 PM »
How do you know that?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #164: August 12, 2016, 08:24:25 PM »
How can one have an arm for center, but not for shortstop ?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #165: August 12, 2016, 08:25:15 PM »
His arm is fine for SS. Tnhey aren't giving him starts at SS because they are in love with Espinosa.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #166: August 12, 2016, 08:25:41 PM »

It's possible but I don't think it's the case here.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #167: August 12, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »

Yeah, Ben Revere still gets looks in CF. That dude's arm is terrible.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #168: August 12, 2016, 08:33:41 PM »
Ben Revere?  Well he has an arm for neither

Offline Ray D

« Reply #169: August 13, 2016, 09:30:47 AM »

Two reasons.  One, outfield and infield arm are completely different.  Two, strong arm is essential for a shortstop.  For a centerfielder it's preferable but not essential.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #170: August 13, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »
His arm is fine for SS. Tnhey aren't giving him starts at SS because they are in love with Espinosa.
Correct.

And reason Difo started at SS yesterday is they're already bouncing Turner between two spots, may as well not add a third.

Turner is versatile. He can play three spots up the middle. He'll settle where the greatest need is though I've always thought long term he'll be at second.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #171: August 14, 2016, 11:25:15 PM »
What a really super-sensational player.  I love watching him run!!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #172: August 14, 2016, 11:39:17 PM »
What a really super-sensational player.  I love watching him run!!
113 ABs in and he is slashing .319/.347/.540. Ten stolen bases in a bit under 30 games.

If he were to slash .300/.330/.480 next season with 40 stolen bases then that'd be elite.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #173: August 15, 2016, 01:41:15 AM »
I am in awe, he is really truly my favorite nat already, issue going forward though, if we do not view him as A SS is Espi and his dead bat coming back? is Trea going to be a full-time CF going forward when we let Revere walk because Zim and Murph are here for the next couple of years. I hope he can play short because his bat there, even with average at best defense would be amazing

Offline Matugi

« Reply #174: August 15, 2016, 05:37:54 AM »
His batting profile is virtually identical to Starling Marte with more line drives and pop.  Could easily be worth a consistent 5 WAR at the top of the order