Author Topic: Exercise Thread  (Read 6734 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Exercise Thread
« Reply #25: September 20, 2015, 02:07:18 PM »
Lift weights, you'll see the results. Cardio has only ever helped me become skinny fat.

Right now I'm fat, fat... and that's because I don't have a weight room at my new place.
I have no idea what to do in regards to weights. I really need to start doing them, but getting started is daunting. If anyone has any ideas on a very comprehensive weight lifting program that can be done with dumbbells, I'd really appreciate it. (Time is no factor. I have no life and thus am able to do any program for as long per session as needed.)

No disagreement there but Vega isn't 30, much less your age. I'm not a big fan of running (it's boring) but if you're going to do it outdoors beats the treadmill everyday of the week.
I'm gonna have to agree with Mathguy here. I'd prefer to avoid damaging anything important if possible.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #26: September 20, 2015, 02:14:53 PM »
Contrary to Mathguy's belief, running, in general, is bad for your joints - treadmill or outside.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #27: September 20, 2015, 02:23:58 PM »
I ran cross country in high school and almost ruined by knees and ankles. If you pronate or supinate in your running stride, no custom orthotics or weekly replacement shoes will save your joints.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #28: September 20, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »
My point is the treadmill is not as bad as outdoor payment

Contrary to Mathguy's belief, running, in general, is bad for your joints - treadmill or outside.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #29: September 20, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
I ran cross country in high school and almost ruined by knees and ankles. If you pronate or supinate in your running stride, no custom orthotics or weekly replacement shoes will save your joints.

That's why cycling, the elliptical, and weight lifting are my gotos now. Totally agree with you that running is a great way to end up permanently injured.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #30: September 20, 2015, 02:51:05 PM »
I'm not running on the treadmill. I've got it set on a brisk walking pace with a steep incline. I also must note that the treadmill is nowhere near being my first choice for a cardio device. I'm only using it because it's all I have.

• babble on
« Reply #31: September 20, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »
Maybe "destroy" is a strong term, but I can't run a mile without being pretty much incapacitated for the next week.  I ride a bike 200 miles a week with no problem though.  I wish I could still run - it's a lot easier to pack a pair of running shoes on a business trip than a bike  :lol:

So yeah, give it a try - if it works out, awesome...I just know I can't do it without seriously buggering myself up   
You are not going to destroy your joints doing a little fitness running, treadmill or otherwise.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #32: September 20, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm no expert on this by any means, but I know guys in their late 30s that have been running most of their lives that are fine.

Individuals are different. But I don't think that doing two or three miles a day when you are in your mid 20s is going to "destroy" your knees. If it hurts, stop. :shrug:

Maybe "destroy" is a strong term, but I can't run a mile without being pretty much incapacitated for the next week.  I ride a bike 200 miles a week with no problem though.  I wish I could still run - it's a lot easier to pack a pair of running shoes on a business trip than a bike  :lol:

So yeah, give it a try - if it works out, awesome...I just know I can't do it without seriously buggering myself up

• babble on
« Reply #33: September 20, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »
I can still kind of run on beaches, though the last time I tried that I cut my foot on a piece of coral  :hysterical:

The human body really is of a poor design.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #34: September 20, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
It's a great design. For about 30 years. Breed at 13, help raise your grandkids to toddler-hood, die. :)

I can still kind of run on beaches, though the last time I tried that I cut my foot on a piece of coral  :hysterical:

The human body really is of a poor design.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: September 20, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
I'm not running on the treadmill. I've got it set on a brisk walking pace with a steep incline. I also must note that the treadmill is nowhere near being my first choice for a cardio device. I'm only using it because it's all I have.

are you a senior citizen? A brisk walk isn't going to get your heart rate high enough to do anything

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #36: September 20, 2015, 03:36:19 PM »
are you a senior citizen? A brisk walk isn't going to get your heart rate high enough to do anything
Except that going at such a pace for extended periods of time caused me lose and keep off ninety pounds.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #37: September 20, 2015, 03:40:37 PM »

Just a thought...this thread would get more play in the Red Loft...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #38: September 20, 2015, 03:45:10 PM »
That's not true and I suggest you try it - at 4mph with an incline of 30+ degrees

Offline Dave B

« Reply #39: September 20, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »
I have no idea what to do in regards to weights. I really need to start doing them, but getting started is daunting. If anyone has any ideas on a very comprehensive weight lifting program that can be done with dumbbells, I'd really appreciate it. (Time is no factor. I have no life and thus am able to do any program for as long per session as needed.)
  I'm gonna have to agree with Mathguy here. I'd prefer to avoid damaging anything important if possible.

Squats, shoulder press, rows are pretty much all you need.

Do goblet squats with the dumbbells. Or just bodyweight.

Maybe work in some burpees or kettle bell swings. Look youtube for inductions. Do them correctly and you won't have to do any ab work. Pretty much squeeze your stomach all the time is the key

There are a lot of crossfit workouts you can find on the internet that don't require anything more than a dumbbell

Running even a mile a week is beneficial just to keep everything loose

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #40: September 20, 2015, 04:05:45 PM »
That's a good starting point but I wouldn't recommend shoulder presses (serious potential for injury) and would put in some form of bench press instead.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #41: September 20, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
Running even a mile a week is beneficial just to keep everything loose

Even walking a mile a day is beneficial...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: September 20, 2015, 04:26:42 PM »
That's not true and I suggest you try it - at 4mph with an incline of 30+ degrees

I prefer to exercise outside and take my chances with roads and, god forbid, trails.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #43: September 20, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »
That's a good starting point but I wouldn't recommend shoulder presses (serious potential for injury) and would put in some form of bench press instead.

If it's a dumbbell you can rep 10 times, it should be pretty safe. But yeah depending on fitness level pushups might be just fine. If you can't do fifteen pushups without rest, they present enough of a challenge themselves

Offline Dave B

« Reply #44: September 20, 2015, 04:30:59 PM »
And curls are a waste of time. Avoid machines

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #45: September 20, 2015, 05:01:58 PM »
There's so much good stuff on Youtube, put together by real experts, that I would spend more time looking there and less time here.

For instance, Athlean x.

Or BroScience.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #46: September 20, 2015, 06:01:16 PM »
And curls are a waste of time. Avoid machines

Why would anyone with any sense do curls using a machine?  An Olympic bar with a 45lbs plate on each side works just fine for me.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #47: September 20, 2015, 07:49:04 PM »
I'm not an indoor cardio guy.    Treadmills are boring and the elliptical makes me ill.    I get to the gym to do lifting three days a week.    While there, I shoot hoops for a 1/2 hour as well.    I either walk 6 miles 3 times a week on the off days or play golf (walking).   I do alcohol to balance it all out.

• babble on
« Reply #48: September 20, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
Those 12 oz curls add up on a hot day!
I do alcohol to balance it all out.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #49: September 20, 2015, 07:54:56 PM »
Those 12 oz curls add up on a hot day!

I'm beyond that.   I do the 750ml curls.