Author Topic: Exercise Thread  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Exercise Thread
« Topic Start: September 19, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »
My Gazelle was made of weak, candy-ass steel that tore apart through normal use, so I'm gonna have to start using a treadmill instead. Probably gonna be a bit of an adjustment. Oh, and this is the general exercise thread. Post about your workout routine or ask for advice here.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Exercise Thread
« Reply #1: September 19, 2015, 09:49:56 PM »
i'm not a big fan of treadmills, but I do like ellipticals. 

My "ideal" workout: 
MWF: five minute warmup on the bike, followed by alternating 45 seconds as fast as I can go on the ellipitical and 2 minute slow recovery for anywhere between 5 and 8 cycles until i can't do anymore. Then a 2-3 minute cool down followed by stretching and planking for up to a minute in 2 cycles

T-Th: 25 pushups, 25 ab crunches, 15 burpees as fast as I can, followed by a 2 minute cool down, followed by 15-20 pushups/crunches and 5-10 burps, then another cycle with as many as I can do.  I may add in hindu squats depending on how motivated I feel.

In reality, if I can do the above at least 3 times a week, i'm having a pretty good week.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #2: September 19, 2015, 11:45:26 PM »
Shoot EPO and HGH. Ride 200 miles a week. Lift heavy weights. Die at 50.

Why use a treadmill if you can run outside?  That's dumb.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #3: September 20, 2015, 12:20:43 AM »
Come hang out in Columbia, South Carolina in the summer for a while and you'll understand why that is not a fun option.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #4: September 20, 2015, 01:18:10 AM »
Come hang out in Columbia, South Carolina in the summer for a while and you'll understand why that is not a fun option.

I live in Florida and completely get this.  I try to run a few times a week but I've got to keep the gym membership for 1/2 the year because there is no way I could run in this humidity, thankfully it's just about time I can start running outdoors again. 
I downloaded the "7 minute Workout" app a few days ago but haven't started using it yet, looks pretty basic but it's gotten great reviews online, has anyone tried it?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: September 20, 2015, 01:37:15 AM »
Hey freakface, Lemmy is 70, so your teetotalling ass can lurch along a few more decades - corpulence notwithstanding.
Shoot EPO and HGH. Ride 200 miles a week. Lift heavy weights. Die at 50.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: September 20, 2015, 01:41:32 AM »

I downloaded the "7 minute Workout" app a few days ago but haven't started using it yet, looks pretty basic but it's gotten great reviews online, has anyone tried it?

Supposedly works great if you do three or four reps (28 minute workout isn't a great title though)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #7: September 20, 2015, 01:42:22 AM »
Supposedly works great if you do three or four reps (28 minute workout isn't a great title though)

ah dammit I knew being able to get a good workout in 7 minutes was probably too good to be true :lol: thanks!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: September 20, 2015, 04:26:59 AM »
Lift weights, you'll see the results. Cardio has only ever helped me become skinny fat.

Right now I'm fat, fat... and that's because I don't have a weight room at my new place.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9: September 20, 2015, 05:39:40 AM »
Stronglifts.com is a great place to start.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: September 20, 2015, 07:43:12 AM »
I did couch to 5k, now I'm almost through a 5 to 10k program- it's the healthiest I've felt since high school

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #11: September 20, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »

We're in the process of turning our formal living room into a mini-fitness center with treadmill, recumbent bike, bench and room for yoga.  In the entire 18 years we've lived here, we only ever used it to open Xmas presents.  With the kids out of the house, it will get more use over 3 weeks than it did in all that time.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #12: September 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM »
Quit being a little nag. The sweat is good for you.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #13: September 20, 2015, 09:33:22 AM »
Quit being a little nag. The sweat is good for you.

True. I also just realized what a gazelle is. Thought they stopped making those in the 80s.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #14: September 20, 2015, 09:36:40 AM »

That's an excuse. I've ridden 50 miles in -35 degree temps before and not missed a beat. Sounds like you're just a wimp.

Hey freakface, Lemmy is 70, so your teetotalling ass can lurch along a few more decades - corpulence notwithstanding.

:smh:

I can always get surgically mutilated to lose weight faster, but for you being a needledick is forever though.

We're in the process of turning our formal living room into a mini-fitness center with treadmill, recumbent bike, bench and room for yoga.  In the entire 18 years we've lived here, we only ever used it to open Xmas presents.  With the kids out of the house, it will get more use over 3 weeks than it did in all that time.

We did that right after we bought our house, but in the basement. Get a good gym level elliptical ($3,000-$5,000) and squat rack (this beats a straight bench) and 600lbs of plates and you're good to go. The recumbent stationary bikes are a waste, to be honest, so check out getting a good spin bike. The recumbents are a lot harder on your back and knees than you'd suspect and have very little value in terms of exercise.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #15: September 20, 2015, 09:42:15 AM »
That's an excuse. I've ridden 50 miles in -35 degree temps before and not missed a beat. Sounds like you're just a wimp.

:smh:

I can always get surgically mutilated to lose weight faster, but for you being a needledick is forever though.

We did that right after we bought our house, but in the basement. Get a good gym level elliptical ($3,000-$5,000) and squat rack (this beats a straight bench) and 600lbs of plates and you're good to go. The recumbent stationary bikes are a waste, to be honest, so check out getting a good spin bike. The recumbents are a lot harder on your back and knees than you'd suspect and have very little value in terms of exercise.

We already have the bike - my kid wanted it - and you're right, it hurts my right hip...

I'll not be lifting 600 pounds in what remains of my lifetime...   :hysterical:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #16: September 20, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
We already have the bike - my kid wanted it - and you're right, it hurts my right hip...

I'll not be lifting 600 pounds in what remains of my lifetime...   :hysterical:

To be fair, that's a decent mix of weights so you have enough 2.5, 5, 10, 25, and 45 pound plates to do it all - bench, rows, curls, deadlifts, squats, and shrugs to name a few. We also got a killer deal on that set so it wound up being half of what you'd pay to by them individually.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #17: September 20, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »
It's actually dumb to run outside, for the treadmill is far less stressful on knees and hips than payment

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #18: September 20, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »
It's actually dumb to run outside, for the treadmill is far less stressful on knees and hips than payment

leave it to Mathguy to win dumbass of the day.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: September 20, 2015, 10:09:50 AM »

That awful foul fresh air will kill you

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #20: September 20, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »
But MDS - even you are going to get old.  The stress on the knees and hips are a huge problem when getting old.  So like smoking & effect on lungs, the pounding the knees/hips take will add up.

leave it to Mathguy to win dumbass of the day.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #21: September 20, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »
But MDS - even you are going to get old.  The stress on the knees and hips are a huge problem when getting old.  So like smoking & effect on lungs, the pounding the knees/hips take will add up.

No disagreement there but Vega isn't 30, much less your age. I'm not a big fan of running (it's boring) but if you're going to do it outdoors beats the treadmill everyday of the week.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #22: September 20, 2015, 01:13:38 PM »
MDS I'll run or bike in the cold any day, so different feeling clear cold air as opposed to stagnant 95 degree 90% humidity. I know people do it because I see then running but that's just no fun for me to run in stifling heat.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #23: September 20, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »
In the summertime I tend to ride at night or in the morning before it gets hot. Wintertime I tend to ride during the daylight but that has more to do with being paranoid about hitting black ice.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #24: September 20, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »
In the summertime I tend to ride at night or in the morning before it gets hot. Wintertime I tend to ride during the daylight but that has more to do with being paranoid about hitting black ice.

Yea I give you a ton of credit for biking in Minnesota in the winter, I'd be scared to death of the ice.