Author Topic: Exercise Thread  (Read 6640 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Exercise Thread
« Reply #50: September 20, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »
Did a ten mike hike today in the woods. Absolutely fantastic workout.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #51: September 20, 2015, 08:32:39 PM »
Why would anyone with any sense do curls using a machine?  An Olympic bar with a 45lbs plate on each side works just fine for me.

Don't do curls at all. Don't use machines for anything

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #52: September 20, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »
:clap:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #53: September 20, 2015, 11:37:32 PM »
Cranked out a quick 15 miles on the fat bike tonight just to see how I felt. Keeping a 13mph pace felt pretty good.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #54: September 21, 2015, 10:57:21 PM »
Maybe "destroy" is a strong term, but I can't run a mile without being pretty much incapacitated for the next week.  I ride a bike 200 miles a week with no problem though.  I wish I could still run - it's a lot easier to pack a pair of running shoes on a business trip than a bike  :lol:

So yeah, give it a try - if it works out, awesome...I just know I can't do it without seriously buggering myself up   

I think if you ran a little bit you could acclimate quickly. For a couple years I did nothing but squats, bike (not as much as you), and skate. Then I got this nagging groin tightness I couldn't shake. I remembered something i heard about nhl trainers not liking players riding bikes in the off season. So I just started running a little bit, like a half mile. After the first time everything hurt.

A couple weeks of it and I was fine. half mile, maybe a mile a couple times a week. It also mostly got rid of my groin problem. I think you need that double pendulum motion every now and then so your legs develop/stretch as evolution dictated. I suspect excessive biking and non walking/running leg exercises develops some muscles excessively and neglects others and doesn't adequately stretch tendons/ligaments

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #55: September 22, 2015, 08:49:50 AM »
I think if you ran a little bit you could acclimate quickly. For a couple years I did nothing but squats, bike (not as much as you), and skate. Then I got this nagging groin tightness I couldn't shake. I remembered something i heard about nhl trainers not liking players riding bikes in the off season. So I just started running a little bit, like a half mile. After the first time everything hurt.

A couple weeks of it and I was fine. half mile, maybe a mile a couple times a week. It also mostly got rid of my groin problem. I think you need that double pendulum motion every now and then so your legs develop/stretch as evolution dictated. I suspect excessive biking and non walking/running leg exercises develops some muscles excessively and neglects others and doesn't adequately stretch tendons/ligaments

I had similar problems and my physical therapist and trainers figured out I needed to do more stretching pre and post ride and do an actual warm up before going balls to the wall.  Groin tightness from cycling is also usually an indicator of a really poor bike fit and, in my experience, goes away after a saddle adjustments and proper stretching.  YMMV.

Just got cleared by my doctors to start the next chapter in my exercising life - endurance riding.  A1c is 5.2, BP is perfectly normal, cholesterol is perfect, kidneys are functioning properly, and, minus lugging an extra 140lbs around, I'm perfectly healthy and ready to push my body to the breaking point.  First enduro ride is 360 miles over three days from MPLS to Duluth and back on the fat bike. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #56: September 22, 2015, 08:55:14 AM »
Heading over to TomTerp's "neighborhood"/vicinity today (off Oak Valley DR) to walk the area with my buddy.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #57: September 22, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »
ah dammit I knew being able to get a good workout in 7 minutes was probably too good to be true :lol: thanks!

I just downloaded the app to have a structured 15 minute workout during lunch- push ups with rotation suck, but otherwise, I really like it 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #58: September 22, 2015, 04:40:32 PM »
I just downloaded the app to have a structured 15 minute workout during lunch- push ups with rotation suck, but otherwise, I really like it 

hmmm did you pay to upgrade it?  I've just got the free one and I can't see a way to increase the time to more than 7 minutes.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #59: September 22, 2015, 04:47:20 PM »
hmmm did you pay to upgrade it?  I've just got the free one and I can't see a way to increase the time to more than 7 minutes.

I bought the 2.99 one- from fitness guide inc- it's pretty well put together- videos of every exercise, or pictures, good voice ques, and the number of reps and breaks between workouts are customizable

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #60: September 22, 2015, 05:31:45 PM »
I bought the 2.99 one- from fitness guide inc- it's pretty well put together- videos of every exercise, or pictures, good voice ques, and the number of reps and breaks between workouts are customizable

ah ok, I just started with the one I downloaded last week so I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to see if 7 minutes of working out in addition to running make any type of difference or if I'm being completely delusional that such a short amount of time could possibly work.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #61: September 22, 2015, 06:03:31 PM »
ah ok, I just started with the one I downloaded last week so I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to see if 7 minutes of working out in addition to running make any type of difference or if I'm being completely delusional that such a short amount of time could possibly work.   

I did two reps and can definitely feel some of the exercises (I'm more sore from that than my 3 mile run this morning)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #62: September 22, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »
I'm walking through part of Oakton/Fairfax with my buddy on a 5 miler, not sure where.    My buddy lives in/near Oakton.    A guy comes walking down the path with a   :w:  shirt on.    I had my 2005 give away long sleeve tee on and he stops to chat.    Turns out, he's a STH in 208.    I told him half the guys on the forum are in 208.   I know who he isn't but I don't know who he is.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: September 22, 2015, 06:33:59 PM »
I'm walking through part of Oakton/Fairfax with my buddy on a 5 miler, not sure where.    My buddy lives in/near Oakton.    A guy comes walking down the path with a   :w:  shirt on.    I had my 2005 give away long sleeve tee on and he stops to chat.    Turns out, he's a STH in 208.    I told him half the guys on the forum are in 208.   I know who he isn't but I don't know who he is.
Not me; I can't afford to be close to Oakton.  :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #64: September 22, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
I'm not running on the treadmill. I've got it set on a brisk walking pace with a steep incline. I also must note that the treadmill is nowhere near being my first choice for a cardio device. I'm only using it because it's all I have.

I love doing this, it's the only way to go on a treadmill IMHO.  Put that mother up to 15 degrees and go as fast as you can walk, the sweat will POUR off you.  Awesome.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #65: September 22, 2015, 06:48:15 PM »

If you have time on weekends add elevation gain to your hikes.  SNP or GW National Forest are within an hour of say Fairfax for the start of some very vigorous hikes. 

This site has a great interactive map to find hikes, you can filter for distance, difficulty, views, etc.

http://www.hikingupward.com/

Or for inspiration on SNP itself, this is very informative site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/shenandoah500miler/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #66: September 22, 2015, 06:49:32 PM »

Oh, those 208 guys are snobs.  I'm a true fan, 207.    :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #67: September 22, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »
Not me; I can't afford to be close to Oakton.  :)

Well, you don't really have to try to buy 6000 sq feet, do you?

There are some ridiculous prices here, that's for sure.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #68: September 22, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Oh, those 208 guys are snobs.  I'm a true fan, 207.    :lol:
Just jealous cause you are so far away from the action.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: September 22, 2015, 06:57:47 PM »
Well, you don't really have to try to buy 6000 sq feet, do you?

There are some ridiculous prices here, that's for sure.

Well you have to act the part!  :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #70: September 22, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
Well you have to act the part!  :)

SO much of house buying is about proving how fat your wallet is, not about meeting real needs.

Yes, there are tons of people with empty nests or 1-2 kids who have 6-10k sq foot houses. Half the rooms, maybe 2/3, are empty, gathering dust.  What a waste.  The Pope's going to have easy pickings if he's looking for misplaced priorities in the US of A.    :lol:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #71: October 06, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »
New study says 30 minutes of exercise a day is not enough. You should double or quadruple that.

They found that those following the 30-minutes-a-day guidelines issued by the American Heart Association had “modest reductions” in heart failure risk compared to those who did not work out at all.

But those who did twice and four times as much exercise experienced “a substantial risk reduction" of 20 and 35 percent respectively.

The findings challenge the notion of a 30-minutes-a-day magic number for exercise. Instead, research found that physical activity and heart failure may be what they called "dose-dependent," meaning that higher levels of physical activity appeared to be linked to a lower risk of heart failure. That association appeared to hold across age groups, gender and race.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/10/06/new-study-for-optimal-heart-health-americans-should-double-or-even-quadruple-the-amount-of-exercising-theyre-doing/

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #72: October 06, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »
Taking the wife to the gym today. Gonna do deadlifts and abs

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #74: October 06, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »
#ThickerBeforeTicker
You should do 30 minutes of interval cardio

After lifting for at least 45 minutes :D