Author Topic: Soccer 2015/16  (Read 19822 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Soccer 2015/16
« Reply #25: August 10, 2015, 06:59:47 PM »
The only silver lining to this crap sammich is that Szczesny should guarantee that Roma finishes ahead of Lazio.
Petr cech. So much lol

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #26: August 10, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
The only silver lining to this crap sammich is that Szczesny should guarantee that Roma finishes ahead of Lazio.

I am a big Roma fan, my father was born in Rome and wheni went over there I actually watched a game at the Olimpico. Crazy crazy hostile environment that

• babble on
« Reply #27: August 10, 2015, 07:08:12 PM »
Was it against Lazio? I would LOVE to go to one of those.
I am a big Roma fan, my father was born in Rome and wheni went over there I actually watched a game at the Olimpico. Crazy crazy hostile environment that

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #28: August 10, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
Was it against Lazio? I would LOVE to go to one of those.

against Parma, and the anti-Lazio chants and post-game commute was insane.

I think it would be as crazy as a game in Turkey

• babble on
« Reply #29: August 10, 2015, 08:16:44 PM »
Oh man.  A friend went to Galatasaray/Fenerbahce and said that it was like a war.

At the risk of dating myself, my first English game was Arsenal/Spurs at Highbury in 1987 or 88. That was downright scary.

against Parma, and the anti-Lazio chants and post-game commute was insane.

I think it would be as crazy as a game in Turkey

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #30: August 10, 2015, 08:17:39 PM »
Oh man.  A friend went to Galatasaray/Fenerbahce and said that it was like a war.

At the risk of dating myself, my first English game was Arsenal/Spurs at Highbury in 1987. That was downright scary.

1987  ...  you're safe.    :)

• babble on
« Reply #31: August 10, 2015, 08:18:34 PM »
Actually, I think it was '88...phew :lol:
1987  ...  you're safe.    :)

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #32: August 10, 2015, 08:52:04 PM »
my first English game was Middelsborough Blackpool in the championship in the year Blackpool got promotoed. it was freezing. Went to three games at Anfield including a 2-1 defeat to your gooners

• babble on
« Reply #33: August 10, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »
I would like to catch some lower division games there.  Maybe not Millwall. 

• babble on
« Reply #34: August 11, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
I wonder what kind of premium over market rates Turkish teams have to pay to get big international stars to go to a place that is currently--at best--pretty freaked up. Like half of the Dutch national team plays in Turkey now (including RvP, who just transferred from Man U to Fenerbahce).

------------------------------------------------------------

Turkish footballer Mehmet Topal survives gun attack

Turkish footballer Mehmet Topal has escaped unharmed after gunmen fired on his bulletproof car in Istanbul.

Topal, a 29-year-old Turkey midfielder with Fenerbahce, was driving home with a team-mate after training when the car was attacked.

The club condemned the incident as an "armed terrorist act".

The reason for the attack is unclear, but Fenerbahce's team bus was shot at earlier this year and the driver was wounded in the city of Trabzon.

The bus had been driving over a viaduct and a club official was forced to intervene to bring the vehicle to a halt.

The club said at the time that the attack represented the "peak point of hostility" towards it.

Turkey's top-flight Super League was suspended for a week and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, seen as a Fenerbahce supporter, called a meeting of the league's 18 club captains.

Immediately after Tuesday's attack, Topal pulled his car off the road in Istanbul's eastern Sancaktepe district and called for police help.

Topal's team-mate Uygar Mert Zeybek was also unhurt.

Pictures released by the club showed bullet damage on the passenger side of the widescreen, although the bullet did not appear to have pierced the glass.

The club had earlier published pictures on its website of recent signing Robin Van Persie taking part in training.

Fenerbahce were knocked out of the qualifying rounds of the Uefa Champions League by Shakhtar Donetsk last week.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33859919

Offline Dave B

« Reply #35: August 11, 2015, 02:51:31 PM »
Damn. Do they suggest owning a bullet proof car at orientation

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #36: September 02, 2015, 01:48:47 AM »
I know less than nothing about soccer, but it seems to be a popular late night TV offering.

What would be the top league and what are the top teams.  I am watching Monaco vs. Valencia in the UEFA Champions League right now...not sure if this is good soccer or not.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #37: September 02, 2015, 04:06:35 AM »
I know less than nothing about soccer, but it seems to be a popular late night TV offering.

What would be the top league and what are the top teams.  I am watching Monaco vs. Valencia in the UEFA Champions League right now...not sure if this is good soccer or not.

The top leagues are the Premier League (England), the Bundesliga (Germany), Serie A (Italy) and La Liga (Spain). You can watch all of the Premier League games on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays here. Fox Sports just started airing Bundesliga games. I don't have beIN Sports, but they have a lot of games too.

Champions League matches are awesome because you get to see the best teams from all European leagues face each other. The group stage starts in two weeks (http://us.soccerway.com/international/europe/uefa-champions-league/20152016/group-stage/r31729/). All of those games are on TV here.

Here are the current UEFA club rankings: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

Offline mitlen

« Reply #38: September 02, 2015, 08:09:44 AM »

Nice thing about the Premier League is they're on Saturday and Sunday mornings early.    So, if you're up by say 8 (:)) on a cold/rainy day in the winter, you can watch soccer.   Usually two games back to back and sometime NBC/ESPN will carry a game around noon.     It's good stuff plus it beats the hell out of the other garbage available at the time like Nats Talk Live.    Ah, sorry Phil and Mike.    :mg:

I know you're a hockey guy.   Soccer is very similar.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #39: September 02, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »
Premier league should be interesting this year. Lots of average teams are using their money to close the gap with the big teams. Instead of circling dates of games between the top four or six, games between the top ten should be good. Wonder how competitive the fourth spot is gonna be

• babble on
« Reply #40: September 02, 2015, 09:54:05 AM »
Ligue 1 (france) too...I forget which channels, but Paris St Germain, Rennes, Lyons, Monaco, Nice, and some others have all been on TV lately.  PSG is one of the elite teams in Europe.
The top leagues are the Premier League (England), the Bundesliga (Germany), Serie A (Italy) and La Liga (Spain). You can watch all of the Premier League games on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays here. Fox Sports just started airing Bundesliga games. I don't have beIN Sports, but they have a lot of games too.

Champions League matches are awesome because you get to see the best teams from all European leagues face each other. The group stage starts in two weeks (http://us.soccerway.com/international/europe/uefa-champions-league/20152016/group-stage/r31729/). All of those games are on TV here.

Here are the current UEFA club rankings: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #41: September 02, 2015, 11:16:53 AM »
I have a 24 hour soccer channel I pay for now in Aus, I have access to live games from England, Spain, Italy France Germany and the English lower leagues. No excuses for not knowing my players

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #42: September 02, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »

Holy crap...I had no idea there were so many teams!

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #43: September 02, 2015, 11:29:09 AM »
Nice thing about the Premier League is they're on Saturday and Sunday mornings early.    So, if you're up by say 8 (:)) on a cold/rainy day in the winter, you can watch soccer.   Usually two games back to back and sometime NBC/ESPN will carry a game around noon.     It's good stuff plus it beats the hell out of the other garbage available at the time like Nats Talk Live.    Ah, sorry Phil and Mike.    :mg:

I know you're a hockey guy.   Soccer is very similar.

8:00 is pushing it...seriously pushing it...but noon I can do...  ;)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #44: September 02, 2015, 11:34:04 AM »
The FIFA video game is a lot of fun, too. A good introduction to soccer.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #45: September 02, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »
The FIFA video game is a lot of fun, too. A good introduction to soccer.

Do you have to bribe it?     :twisted:

• babble on
« Reply #46: September 02, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »
 :spit:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #47: September 02, 2015, 04:09:24 PM »
Premier league should be interesting this year. Lots of average teams are using their money to close the gap with the big teams. Instead of circling dates of games between the top four or six, games between the top ten should be good. Wonder how competitive the fourth spot is gonna be

I just read that Premier League clubs spent $977 million on transfers this summer. The league is definitely getting better / more competitive.

I think Swansea and Crystal Palace both have a shot at a top 5 spot this season.

Ligue 1 (france) too...I forget which channels, but Paris St Germain, Rennes, Lyons, Monaco, Nice, and some others have all been on TV lately.  PSG is one of the elite teams in Europe.

Yeah, those are some solid teams. The bottom half of that league is pretty bad, though.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #48: September 02, 2015, 04:11:20 PM »
I just read that Premier League clubs spent $977 million on transfers this summer. The league is definitely getting better / more competitive.

I think Swansea and Crystal Palace both have a shot at a top 5 spot this season.
I started watching last year but think my fandom would be helped by picking a team to root for. Don't want to pick one of the top ones to be a front runner but would rather avoid picking the bottom feeders. Maybe I will just pick a uniform I like.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #49: September 02, 2015, 04:14:02 PM »
I started watching last year but think my fandom would be helped by picking a team to root for. Don't want to pick one of the top ones to be a front runner but would rather avoid picking the bottom feeders. Maybe I will just pick a uniform I like.

I used to like the colors of the Canaries of Norwich City.