Yes, technology has shown umps are incompetent
29 (87.9%)
No, it would change the game too much
4 (12.1%)
I can't decide.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 10, 2019, 11:12:54 PM

Author Topic: It's time to automate the strike zone  (Read 17662 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: It's time to automate the strike zone
« Reply #50: August 02, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »
I hate the idea of a challenge system- if you have something that can give an instant consistent ruling

First, I don't think the current technology is even anywhere close to that.   But more important, I think that even we had it, fans wouldn't believe it was accurate (even if it was) and we'd end up with just as much controversy, maybe even more, because people don't trust technology.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #51: August 02, 2015, 11:40:36 AM »
First, I don't think the current technology is even anywhere close to that.   But more important, I think that even we had it, fans wouldn't believe it was accurate (even if it was) and we'd end up with just as much controversy, maybe even more, because people don't trust technology.

People don't trust technology? I don't think so.

People nowadays blindly follow their talking phone when driving because they have no idea where they're going. You know, the GPS thing.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #52: August 02, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »
It isn't a matter of making a case because I don't expect nor even hope to convince people.

I hate the current challenge system. I've hated it since 1986 when it was instituted in football.   My shortstop makes a great play and throws the opposing runner out on a very close play (and maybe the runner could have been called safe -  but he wasn't); I want to enjoy the moment, not wonder if the call will stick - that ruins it for me.  And it disrupts the flow of the game. 

I can't begin to imagine  how much the game will change if they have any sort of ball/strike challenge system.  The cliche' that "nothing is more important than getting it right" is bullcrap to me.  Nothing is more important than enjoying the game, for me. If that means an occasional mistake, even against my team, I can live with that.

I completely support the idea of doing whatever we can to make the umpiring better.  I don't know what that is but there are people in baseball smart enough to figure that out.

But would you support an automated strike system that doesn't change the flow of the game at all? The ump would get an instant buzz in his ear when there's a strike. No challenges need.

For me, I can't enjoy the game when the umpiring is incompetent. The outcome becomes so random.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #53: August 02, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
I hate the idea of a challenge system- if you have something that can give an instant consistent ruling (I hate the idea that a rookie gets a different zone than an all star), just use it full time instead of setting up some unwieldy system just to make umpires feel better

Exactly.  If the point of replay is to get all the calls right, the challenge system is just plain counterproductive.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
« Reply #54: August 02, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
You said you would support the challenge system. Why would you vote no?

The thread title is "automate the strike zone" which I don't support. I wouldn't mind a less radical approach though, a conservative ball/strike challenge system that the managers would use sparingly, only for the worst calls, and would take seconds to confirm/overturn.

Offline blue911

« Reply #55: August 02, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
Tase the freakers when they miss a call.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #56: August 02, 2015, 06:47:01 PM »
I can't enjoy the game taking out the human element of the umpires.

To take your automation idea further, why have pitchers ?  Why not perfect pitching machines and do away with the need for Tommy John surgery ?

But would you support an automated strike system that doesn't change the flow of the game at all? The ump would get an instant buzz in his ear when there's a strike. No challenges need.

For me, I can't enjoy the game when the umpiring is incompetent. The outcome becomes so random.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2015)
« Reply #57: August 02, 2015, 06:47:32 PM »
The one they use on MASN had it as a strike. Which I suppose points to the fact that they would have to settle on which technology they use.  Not the same as tennis where they can focus where a ball is hitting a hard surface.

I wonder how they adjust for the 3 dimensions of the strike zone, not to mention the variable sizes of hitters?

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #58: August 02, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »

To take your automation idea further, why have pitchers ?  Why not perfect pitching machines and do away with the need for Tommy John surgery ?

I agree, the human element is what the competitors bring to the game. You obviously wouldn't mess with that. As for the umps, well, they are a little way too human for me. ;)

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #59: August 02, 2015, 07:17:20 PM »
The thread title is "automate the strike zone" which I don't support. I wouldn't mind a less radical approach though, a conservative ball/strike challenge system that the managers would use sparingly, only for the worst calls, and would take seconds to confirm/overturn.

I get you, but in my mind automating the strike zone could possibly include a challenge system that's based on an automated system. Instead of using it on every call, they would just use it on the disputed calls.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #60: August 02, 2015, 07:18:32 PM »

That would be the best job in America from day one.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #61: August 02, 2015, 07:20:03 PM »
Some umps might like pain. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #62: August 02, 2015, 07:22:15 PM »

:lmao:  what a genius.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #63: August 02, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »
Agree

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #64: August 02, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »

Human element = players, managers, front office, atmosphere... I want the umpires as close to automatons as possible

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #65: August 02, 2015, 08:45:03 PM »
I wonder how they adjust for the 3 dimensions of the strike zone, not to mention the variable sizes of hitters?
I have wondered about that; guys stride differently also.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #66: August 02, 2015, 08:48:03 PM »
I have wondered about that; guys stride differently also.
Can't imagine that they take stride into account.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #67: August 02, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »

The size of the plate is constant, so that's two dimmensions

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #68: August 02, 2015, 09:13:10 PM »
Can't imagine that they take stride into account.

Can't imagine they go by the letter on height (if they did, someone needs to put a midget as the 25th man- baseball would have a much tougher time banning them now than with Gaedel)

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #69: August 02, 2015, 10:28:47 PM »
Ok BIL - you won me over - that called 2nd strike on Espinosa was PATHETIC

I get you, but in my mind automating the strike zone could possibly include a challenge system that's based on an automated system. Instead of using it on every call, they would just use it on the disputed calls.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #70: August 02, 2015, 10:58:24 PM »
Ok BIL - you won me over - that called 2nd strike on Espinosa was PATHETIC

You watch this game long enough and I don't know how you can tolerate the bad umpiring anymore!

It's gonna happen within 10 years max, maybe sooner.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #71: August 02, 2015, 11:01:28 PM »
Strike zone seemed bad tonight.  J Zim gave up a walk in the third tonight on what was clearly strike 3 which led to the first HR being a 2 run HR. 

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #72: August 02, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »
Strike zone seemed bad tonight.  J Zim gave up a walk in the third tonight on what was clearly strike 3 which led to the first HR being a 2 run HR. 

It's Every Frikkin Night.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
« Reply #73: August 03, 2015, 12:50:44 AM »

That I could live with, I would just hope managers wouldn't call upon it for every single close pitch, just the really bad ones, that's why you'd have to limit the number of challenges.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #74: August 03, 2015, 01:12:40 AM »
I can't wait for roboumps to take over someday.   When the first few innings of the game is spent figuring out the strike zone the human aspect is just a novelty when technology can make the game an even playing field from the first pitch to the last.