Yes, technology has shown umps are incompetent
29 (87.9%)
No, it would change the game too much
4 (12.1%)
I can't decide.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 10, 2019, 11:12:54 PM

Author Topic: It's time to automate the strike zone  (Read 17655 times)

Online dracnal

Re: It's time to automate the strike zone
« Reply #100: July 12, 2019, 03:48:24 PM »
Ironically, the Minor League RoboUmp they used for the All Star game would have called that a strike. They can't tell if a pitch bounces.

edit: at 2nd watch, it looks like it was high after the bounce, so not a strike. But that's why the umps are still behind the plate and can override.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #101: July 12, 2019, 04:22:47 PM »
Huh. Good point.

Ironically, the Minor League RoboUmp they used for the All Star game would have called that a strike. They can't tell if a pitch bounces.

edit: at 2nd watch, it looks like it was high after the bounce, so not a strike. But that's why the umps are still behind the plate and can override.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #102: July 12, 2019, 04:54:59 PM »
I think if a pitch hits the ground and ends up in the zone then call it a strike.  This sport needs some spice.

Online dracnal

« Reply #103: July 12, 2019, 04:59:16 PM »
I think if a pitch hits the ground and ends up in the zone then call it a strike.  This sport needs some spice.

So, Cricket?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #104: July 12, 2019, 05:06:13 PM »
So, Cricket?

Would bring in a whole new market.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #105: July 14, 2019, 09:49:10 AM »
At 10am on 106.7 they will have a rep of the Atlantic League talk about their ASG where they used robots umps. He will also talk about last night's game  of the Maryland Blue Crab where first base was stolen for the first time in the history of baseball.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #106: July 14, 2019, 10:11:49 AM »
At 10am on 106.7 they will have a rep of the Atlantic League talk about their ASG where they used robots umps. He will also talk about last night's game  of the Maryland Blue Crab where first base was stolen for the first time in the history of baseball.

that may be the dumbest rule ever.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #107: July 14, 2019, 10:41:43 AM »
that may be the dumbest rule ever.
I like it.

I also like the automated strike zone after watching that ump last night.  He was as bad as it gets.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #108: July 14, 2019, 11:11:20 AM »
I like it.

I also like the automated strike zone after watching that ump last night.  He was as bad as it gets.

I want roboump too, but reading the reviews it will be a couple years before it is MLB ready. Part of the issue is that they will need to calibrate the box that the viewers see on TV with the actual calls, which will be tough since the zone is three dimensional. It's inevitable but MLB definitely needs to wait until the tech is proven.

https://www.closecallsports.com/2019/07/reviewing-atlantic-leagues-automated.html

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #109: July 14, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »
I want roboump too, but reading the reviews it will be a couple years before it is MLB ready. Part of the issue is that they will need to calibrate the box that the viewers see on TV with the actual calls, which will be tough since the zone is three dimensional. It's inevitable but MLB definitely needs to wait until the tech is proven.

https://www.closecallsports.com/2019/07/reviewing-atlantic-leagues-automated.html

Never thought about the 3rd dimension. So if a pitch is outside the horizontal and/or vertical when it reaches the front edge of the plate but is within both when it reaches the back tip of the plate it's a strike. Correct?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110: July 14, 2019, 01:34:27 PM »
Never thought about the 3rd dimension. So if a pitch is outside the horizontal and/or vertical when it reaches the front edge of the plate but is within both when it reaches the back tip of the plate it's a strike. Correct?

Technically the strike zone is a cylinder (or cube or whatever) that covers the entire plate between the knees and the letters. If any part of the ball touches any part of the cylinder, it’s supposed to be a strike.

So yes.

And an automated strike zone will result in a ton more strikes, I think.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #111: July 14, 2019, 02:16:58 PM »

Not necessarily. It will take away all the nonstrikes that catchers frame and get the call. Also, sometimes umps give certain pitchers the benefit of the doubt. Tbh, I don't think anyone really knows what the outcome will be. Personally, I think it will for sure stop all the griping and that's about it. Players will adjust.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #112: July 14, 2019, 02:30:30 PM »
Technically the strike zone is a cylinder (or cube or whatever) that covers the entire plate between the knees and the letters. If any part of the ball touches any part of the cylinder, it’s supposed to be a strike.

So yes.

A cylinder would be a difficult shape to enforce.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #113: July 14, 2019, 02:39:51 PM »
A cylinder would be a difficult shape to enforce.
It's not a cylinder.  Don't think it's cube, either.  The ball just needs to touch the zone at the front of the plate.  Even if it is a cube, the technology is here and we need to take advantage of it.  I'm so tired of players complaining.  When they complain, they're wrong 50% of the time.

This is not a static situation.  They can fine tune the zone and publish what the current status is.   

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #114: July 14, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »
It's not a cylinder.  Don't think it's cube, either.  The ball just needs to touch the zone at the front of the plate.  Even if it is a cube, the technology is here and we need to take advantage of it.  I'm so tired of players complaining.  When they complain, they're wrong 50% of the time.

This is not a static situation.  They can fine tune the zone and publish what the current status is.   

So I was watching the Wimbledon men's final today and I thought about how the electronic line calls have made the sport so much more enjoyable to watch. It's no longer the nagfest that it used to be.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #115: July 14, 2019, 02:47:30 PM »
So I was watching the Wimbledon men's final today and I thought about how the electronic line calls have made the sport so much more enjoyable to watch. It's no longer the nagfest that it used to be.
One of the greatest grand slam finals of all time.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116: July 14, 2019, 03:04:47 PM »

I know it’s not actually a Cylinder or a cube. It’s a 3 dimensional object or polyhedron that I don’t know the name of. It’s in the shape of the plate. And I know the technology is there. But the technical zone is any part of the ball touching any part of that polyhedron, not just at the front . And lots of pitches that look like crap are gonna get called strikes.

I’m not saying that it’s a reason not to do it. Or that folks won’t adjust. I’m just saying it’s not as easy as that box we see on screen.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #117: July 14, 2019, 04:30:01 PM »
Dodecahedron?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #118: July 14, 2019, 04:51:11 PM »
Grace can show 'em where the strike zone is.

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #119: July 14, 2019, 04:53:47 PM »
Grace can show 'em where the strike zone is.

But he can only show them the "meatball" portion of the strike zone

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #120: July 14, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
I know it’s not actually a Cylinder or a cube. It’s a 3 dimensional object or polyhedron that I don’t know the name of. It’s in the shape of the plate. And I know the technology is there. But the technical zone is any part of the ball touching any part of that polyhedron, not just at the front . And lots of pitches that look like crap are gonna get called strikes.

I’m not saying that it’s a reason not to do it. Or that folks won’t adjust. I’m just saying it’s not as easy as that box we see on screen.

I have two questions, first what are the physics involved in a ball crossing into the zone from the side- is it even possible for a pitcher to do it and, if so, do current umpires view the zone as a plain or in three dimensions- would the even call something cutting across the back of the zone a strike

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121: July 14, 2019, 09:05:29 PM »
I have two questions, first what are the physics involved in a ball crossing into the zone from the side- is it even possible for a pitcher to do it and, if so, do current umpires view the zone as a plain or in three dimensions- would the even call something cutting across the back of the zone a strike

I was thinking a ball might start out high and then come down and catch the back half of the zone. Or a curve could clip the back corner of the plate.
I don’t think that umpires would typically call those strikes, but they technically are. And I don’t know how a a machine would deal with that.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #122: July 14, 2019, 09:10:17 PM »

Sliders sort of go side to side. And, yes, umpires at MLB level see the zone as 3D. They often call curves that drop in. All the time actually. Think of the Kershaw curve that catches the back of the zone.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #123: July 14, 2019, 09:22:51 PM »
Sliders sort of go side to side. And, yes, umpires at MLB level see the zone as 3D. They often call curves that drop in. All the time actually. Think of the Kershaw curve that catches the back of the zone.

I don’t think a slider slides that radically, maybe

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #124: July 14, 2019, 09:23:17 PM »
I was thinking a ball might start out high and then come down and catch the back half of the zone. Or a curve could clip the back corner of the plate.
I don’t think that umpires would typically call those strikes, but they technically are. And I don’t know how a a machine would deal with that.

If umps already miss the call, the game is no worse off