Yes, technology has shown umps are incompetent
29 (87.9%)
No, it would change the game too much
4 (12.1%)
I can't decide.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 10, 2019, 11:12:54 PM

Author Topic: It's time to automate the strike zone  (Read 17766 times)

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
Re: It's time to automate the strike zone
« Topic Start: August 01, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »
Maybe managers could have up to 5-6 challenges, but lose a challenge every time they are incorrect.  With the pitch tracker system, you'd think the rulings would be faster than on other types of challenges.

I'd support like 2 or 3 challenges, maybe 4 total if they count ball/strikes and safe/out/etc regular challenges we already have. I want the human element of the game still, I want catchers stealing strikes, I want hall of famers getting favor either from the mound or in the box. But I would like the opportunity to challenge the most egregious errors, like to Bryce last night, and the process would have to be lightning quick, considering how quick TV producers can pull up pitchtrack it shouldn't take any longer for umpires. Put it on the jumbotron so the ump doesn't have to get that headset crap going. Don't let it interrupt an at-bat.

And I would hope managers wouldn't abuse the system, let a hall of famer get a few inches extra from time to time, let a catcher steal a strike, otherwise you could theoretically have the manager challenge every single "close call" and get it ruled the other way and that would be stupid.

Ultimately I think the problem is sucky umpires. If we had the umpires graded, punished and even fired if they don't do a good enough job, and combine that with like 2 challenges of the most egregious calls (because even the great umps will make mistakes) then we'll have a better system.