Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2015)  (Read 24560 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: What are you listening to? (2015)
« Reply #450: December 02, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »
Smith:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #451: December 02, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »
I talked to my son last night and he was talking about going to some theater in Denver last week and seeing "The Last Waltz", I was like the movie about The Band?  He said no it's performers who recreate The Last Waltz or something, they apparently do it every year, anyway he was like "that music was so good!" I loved it that he was introduced to The Band the same way I was, by The Last Waltz :)

Love The Band, love the Last Waltz. 

I have a good ear for music but never could play much.  Play a tiny bit of guitar, a bit more harpoon, but always wished i could sing.   :?

By chance I found myself on a front porch in Ashville NC about 25 years ago, and the man of the house and a friend commenced to playing The Weight. They could sing, they could play (guitar) but that song demands a 3 part harmony at a couple of the most soulful, special moments.  I took another sip of whiskey, swallowed my phlegm and took a shot at the high part, right at the top of my miniscule range - but I got it.  When the song ended, everyone was cool like we knew that would be good, but I was secretly elated.

One of the guy's girlfriends said "oh, you guys sounded really good".  That there is the extent of my singing career aside from the time I farted in 5th grade chorus and caused a minor disruption at a parental presentation.    :-[

Offline mitlen

« Reply #452: December 02, 2015, 08:19:52 PM »
Love The Band, love the Last Waltz. 

I have a good ear for music but never could play much.  Play a tiny bit of guitar, a bit more harpoon, but always wished i could sing.   :?

By chance I found myself on a front porch in Ashville NC about 25 years ago, and the man of the house and a friend commenced to playing The Weight. They could sing, they could play (guitar) but that song demands a 3 part harmony at a couple of the most soulful, special moments.  I took another sip of whiskey, swallowed my phlegm and took a shot at the high part, right at the top of my miniscule range - but I got it.  When the song ended, everyone was cool like we knew that would be good, but I was secretly elated.

One of the guy's girlfriends said "oh, you guys sounded really good".  That there is the extent of my singing career aside from the time I farted in 5th grade chorus and caused a minor disruption at a parental presentation.    :-[

Great story.   Had a few of those kinds of "moments".    Even have a few on cassette somewhere.    However, we usually took another "hit" (toke).    :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #453: December 02, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »
Great story.   Had a few of those kinds of "moments".    Even have a few on cassette somewhere.    However, we usually took another "hit" (toke).    :)

Somewhere out there is a bass player with a VHS of me (playing harps), him, and a guitar player doing an 8 song set at our company Christmas potluck luncheon when I worked for Perot.  A part of me wants to see that, another part makes me fear seeing it.   :nervous:

I don't remember the whole set - Sean was the singer so he picked all the songs, but it included:

Already Gone (Eagles)
Walkin' in Memphis (Marc Cohn)
Brown Eyed Girl (Morrison) 

Sean had never sung in public before, but he played a fine rhythm guitar and could REALLY sing well.  I played the harp largely to harmonize with his voice which he was self conscious of but for no good reason.  We broke up after only 2 performances over creative differences.    :lmao:    :icon_frown:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #454: December 02, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »
My favorite band song is "Stage Fright". Rick Danko.  Never saw The Band live but saw Danko playing at a small club in downtown Philly. Paul Butterfield was supposed to be the opening act but never showed. Undoubtedly stoned somewhere. Danko put on a great show. There was a beautiful young lady from Louisiana at the bar who let me but her drinks all night. When Danko finished she stood up, thanked me and proceeded to walk to the back with him. Should have known.

It's tragic the way most of The Band have died fairly young. When you see the Last Waltz and watch them smoking and drinking I suppose that's not surprising. Also was  a major split between most of them and Robbie Robertson who apparently got all the song rights.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #455: December 02, 2015, 08:50:11 PM »
Somewhere out there is a bass player with a VHS of me (playing harps), him, and a guitar player doing an 8 song set at our company Christmas potluck luncheon when I worked for Perot.  A part of me wants to see that, another part makes me fear seeing it.   :nervous:

I don't remember the whole set - Sean was the singer so he picked all the songs, but it included:

Already Gone (Eagles)
Walkin' in Memphis (Marc Cohn)
Brown Eyed Girl (Morrison) 

Sean had never sung in public before, but he played a fine rhythm guitar and could REALLY sing well.  I played the harp largely to harmonize with his voice which he was self conscious of but for no good reason.  We broke up after only 2 performances over creative differences.    :lmao:    :icon_frown:

These stories are conjuring up some nice reminisces.   Why, I remember the time  ...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #456: December 02, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »
These stories are conjuring up some nice reminisces.   Why, I remember the time  ...

Might be getting close to winter meet up time.  Maybe somebody can check the alleys of Capitol Hill and find Blue.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #457: December 02, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »
Might be getting close to winter meet up time.  Maybe somebody can check the alleys of Capitol Hill and find Blue.

Speakin' of blue.    Anybody seen or heard from him?    I do believe that if there was a winter meet up, we could do some serious musical type bullcrapting.    :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #458: December 02, 2015, 09:06:39 PM »
Speakin' of blue.    Anybody seen or heard from him?    I do believe that if there was a winter meet up, we could do some serious musical type bullcrapting.    :)

Oh yeah, I believe I can progress to being the Blues Traveler harp player by then.  But that ain't nothing compared to Blue, I'm thinking.   

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #459: December 02, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #460: December 03, 2015, 09:48:41 PM »

Would that be Blues Alley?    ;)

Offline imref

« Reply #461: December 04, 2015, 03:32:30 PM »
just bought a one-year XM deal off of eBay for $58 that includes Howard Stern.  that's about half of the best discount I could get from XM directly.

Offline imref

« Reply #462: December 05, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »
The who, live at Hyde park from this past June is airing on showtime. They sound pretty good for two guys in their 70's. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #464: December 05, 2015, 09:48:45 AM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #465: December 05, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
Upcoming Barns of Wolf Trap shows look pretty sparse, except for Richard Thompson.

Birchmere's lineup is much stronger.  Marshall Tucker Band, Junior Brown, Asleep at the Wheel, Southside Johnny, and here's a real fun time,  Bill Kirchen and Too Much Fun with Commander Cody.  Kirchen must be 70 but he runs circles around most 25 year olds on stage and can REALLY play a guitar.  Ricky Skaggs (with Kentucky Thunder), Eddie from Ohio, Marshall Crenshaw and the Bottle Rockets, James McMurtry (Larry's brother) Arlo Guthrie, Leon Russell, Robert Cray, Gaelic Storm. I'm not even to March yet, and I skipped David Cassidy.   :lol:

Anybody who lives in the DC area and appreciates live music, but hasn't been to the Birchmere, get off your fat ass and get down there before life passes you by. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #466: December 05, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »
Upcoming Barns of Wolf Trap shows look pretty sparse, except for Richard Thompson.

Birchmere's lineup is much stronger.  Marshall Tucker Band, Junior Brown, Asleep at the Wheel, Southside Johnny, and here's a real fun time,  Bill Kirchen and Too Much Fun with Commander Cody.  Kirchen must be 70 but he runs circles around most 25 year olds on stage and can REALLY play a guitar.  Ricky Skaggs (with Kentucky Thunder), Eddie from Ohio, Marshall Crenshaw and the Bottle Rockets, James McMurtry (Larry's brother) Arlo Guthrie, Leon Russell, Robert Cray, Gaelic Storm. I'm not even to March yet, and I skipped David Cassidy.   :lol:

Anybody who lives in the DC area and appreciates live music, but hasn't been to the Birchmere, get off your fat ass and get down there before life passes you by. 

My favorite Birchmere moment was Leon Redbone  ....  front row.    I think that was in the old location.  I see Rosanne Cash on the list.    IIRC while I was at Ft. Polk, LA, the infantry training company I was in had a thrown together band.   We played mostly R & B.    There was an outdoor "talent show" one weekend and Rosanne Cash was the headliner.    That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

EDIT:    I googled and she would have been 16.    I guess it's possible.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #467: December 05, 2015, 08:43:55 PM »
My favorite Birchmere moment was Leon Redbone  ....  front row.    I think that was in the old location.  I see Rosanne Cash on the list.    IIRC while I was at Ft. Polk, LA, the infantry training company I was in had a thrown together band.   We played mostly R & B.    There was an outdoor "talent show" one weekend and Rosanne Cash was the headliner.    That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

:lol:

Roseanne Cash is also playing next week but that show's sold out.  She's come a long way since Fort Polk.  Good genes.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #468: December 05, 2015, 08:46:24 PM »
Anyway, I forgot to mention, there are tactics when going to the Birchmere. All seating is general admission,at tables so you can dine and stack your empties.  It is not hard to get incredible seats, right at the stage, if you know how.  It does not include bribing the staff, either. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #469: December 05, 2015, 08:54:45 PM »
Do they have a new building as opposed to the one from the '70s?      BTW, I added that Cash may have been 16 at the time.   

Roseanne Cash is also playing next week but that show's sold out.  She's come a long way since Fort Polk.  Good genes.

Many of us have come a long way since Ft. Polk.   :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #470: December 05, 2015, 08:59:08 PM »
Do they have a new building as opposed to the one from the '70s?      BTW, I added that Cash may have been 16 at the time.   

We've all come a long way since Ft. Polk.   :)

They are in their 3rd site, will be celebrating their 50th anniversary this year.  They were only in their first location a few years before moving to the one right on Mount Vernon in Arlandria.  That's probably where you went. They are a block or so away now, in a larger space but behind the row of stores on the Avenue.  It's an old warehouse they've converted (but not TOO nice).  They have a bar you can hang out in before they open the doors to the listening room, the main venue.  It can hold more people now, but it's still not huge and the sound system / acoustics remain premier. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #471: December 05, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
They are in their 3rd site, will be celebrating their 50th anniversary this year.  They were only in their first location a few years before moving to the one right on Mount Vernon in Arlandria.  That's probably where you went. They are a block or so away now, in a larger space but behind the row of stores on the Avenue.  It's an old warehouse they've converted (but not TOO nice).  They have a bar you can hang out in before they open the doors to the listening room, the main venue.  It can hold more people now, but it's still not huge and the sound system / acoustics remain premier. 

Yep, Mount Vernon AVE.   There was the old Presidential Motel/Hotel just down the street.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #472: December 05, 2015, 09:06:15 PM »
Yep, Mount Vernon AVE.   There was the old Presidential Motel/Hotel just down the street.

That area's been Alexandria's barrio for decades now.  Not really my crowd but I would however highly recommend RT's restaurant across the street from the Birchmere.  The only legit creole/ New Orleans style restaurant in the area to my knowledge.  Pecan crusted rockfish with a 3-mustard hollandaise sauce topped with crabmeat.  Etc, works for me. But, it's hard to get a dinner in at RT's and catch a show with decent seats unless you have help holding seats for you.

http://www.rtsrestaurant.net/dinner_menu.html

Offline mitlen

« Reply #473: December 05, 2015, 09:17:36 PM »
That area's been Alexandria's barrio for decades now.  Not really my crowd but I would however highly recommend RT's restaurant across the street from the Birchmere.  The only legit creole/ New Orleans style restaurant in the area to my knowledge.  Pecan crusted rockfish with a 3-mustard hollandaise sauce topped with crabmeat.  Etc, works for me. But, it's hard to get a dinner in at RT's and catch a show with decent seats unless you have help holding seats for you.

http://www.rtsrestaurant.net/dinner_menu.html

A buddy of mine lived in Delray back in the day.   We did a lot of runnin' up and down Mount Vernon and Commonwealth.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #474: December 05, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »
A buddy of mine lived in Delray back in the day.   We did a lot of runnin' up and down Mount Vernon and Commonwealth.

Oh yeah.  I lived on Walnut Street for 9 years (Rosemont), between Mount Vernon and Commonwealth.  Loved living there.