Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2015)  (Read 24566 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: What are you listening to? (2015)
« Reply #50: February 09, 2015, 10:53:13 PM »

Offline whytev

• babble on
« Reply #52: February 09, 2015, 11:28:51 PM »
Them plaid suits ain't free

Offline whytev

« Reply #53: February 09, 2015, 11:30:37 PM »

• babble on
« Reply #54: February 09, 2015, 11:41:53 PM »
Of course! Can't miss a geezer show like that.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #55: February 10, 2015, 08:48:55 AM »
It seems odd to me that rock or something like it is relevant or even listened to now.  It's been more than 40 years since much of "classic" rock was recorded.  Back in the 60s and 70s, you did not hear much ragtime or 1920s music, and even 50s acts were nostalgia.  Frank, Sammy, Louis Armstrong had some hits, but they were quirky songs.  Shanana was a take off on music that was only 10-20 years old.   Maybe I'm just aware of the geezer rock tours, but I am consistently amazed at the number of people in their teens, 20s, and 30s, who still listen to music from the geezer era.  I guess it is the distilling effect over time and the forgettable stuff is forgotten.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #56: February 10, 2015, 08:54:30 AM »
It seems odd to me that rock or something like it is relevant or even listened to now.  It's been more than 40 years since much of "classic" rock was recorded.  Back in the 60s and 70s, you did not hear much ragtime or 1920s music, and even 50s acts were nostalgia.  Frank, Sammy, Louis Armstrong had some hits, but they were quirky songs.  Shanana was a take off on music that was only 10-20 years old.   Maybe I'm just aware of the geezer rock tours, but I am consistently amazed at the number of people in their teens, 20s, and 30s, who still listen to music from the geezer era.  I guess it is the distilling effect over time and the forgettable stuff is forgotten.

My oldest was born in 1987.  She's an '80's music junkie...knows far more about that era of songs than I do.

mitlen would know all about Ragtime...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #57: February 10, 2015, 09:11:33 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:clap:

I missed seeing them at Midway this summer but apparently they're planning a huge free show at TCF this fall. 

Them plaid suits ain't free

No doubt.  Paul lives in a really sweet house out in Edina (think Bethesda) that I'm pretty sure he paid cash for thanks to the Goo Goo Dolls.  Poor Chris Mars, on the other hand, lives down the street from me.  Pretty sure Tommy went LA a long time ago but he could have a joint out by Lake Harriet for all that we know.  That guy got plenty of "freak you money" playing being part of Guns 'n Roses for the past 15 plus years.

Online blue911

« Reply #58: February 10, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »

I guess it depends on your taste and what you define as geezer music. Led Zeppelin covered two Willie Dixon songs on their debut album. Cream did a Dixon and a Robert Johnson tune on theirs. Allman Brothers covered  Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Dixon (again with no duplicates), T-Bone Walker  etc... along the way. It was there just not as easy to spot.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #59: February 10, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »

I think mass media has something to do with this.   I always enjoyed Glenn Miller, Ink Spots, Mills' Brothers some of the old bluesmen and other WWII era big bands and before.    I was lucky that my uncle was a pretty good drummer and was familiar with all these folks.    In addition, my mom and dad had album upon album of WWII music.   Notice, they were all on albums  ..   or when lucky, my grandfather and uncle would take me to a concert (my cousin was a sax player and I played trumpet).     We had music in our bones so these old songs and artists weren't unfamiliar to us.   Now, it's everywhere  ....     I'd hazard to guess that young people today hear more, and have access to more big band, ragtime, etc. music than was available to any of us  ...  until maybe the mid-80's or early 90's.    Whenever the I-Pod, portable computer, digital technology came along.    When Sha Na Na was on, that was it.  Unless you could find an oldies station (WBIG or WTOP-FM), you were SOL. 

Coladar would be proud.    :) 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #60: February 10, 2015, 09:52:03 AM »
Back in the 60s and 70s, you did not hear much ragtime or 1920s music, and even 50s acts were nostalgia.  Frank, Sammy, Louis Armstrong had some hits, but they were quirky songs.  Shanana was a take off on music that was only 10-20 years old.

And what did most of those acts have in common - few, if any, used electric guitars or amplified instruments.  The move from brass, woodwinds, and percussion (piano, unmiked jazz drum kits) to electrified guitars (Marshalls, Orange) and miked up drum kits left most of those groups out in cold. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #61: February 10, 2015, 10:03:36 AM »
And what did most of those acts have in common - few, if any, used electric guitars or amplified instruments.  The move from brass, woodwinds, and percussion (piano, unmiked jazz drum kits) to electrified guitars (Marshalls, Orange) and miked up drum kits left most of those groups out in cold. 

Yep, the amped bands could fill big halls, exposing more "fans".

Offline whytev

« Reply #62: February 10, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »
The population boom also plays a part. The reason the Beatles were the biggest thing ever was because they were the best act when (a) the most kids existed at once, and (b) shortly after records became an affordable luxury to almost everyone. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #63: February 10, 2015, 11:39:25 PM »
My oldest was born in 1987.  She's an '80's music junkie...knows far more about that era of songs than I do.

mitlen would know all about Ragtime...

My kids loved Rock of Ages.

• babble on
« Reply #64: February 10, 2015, 11:43:18 PM »
And TV became universal
The population boom also plays a part. The reason the Beatles were the biggest thing ever was because they were the best act when (a) the most kids existed at once, and (b) shortly after records became an affordable luxury to almost everyone. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #65: February 11, 2015, 12:48:43 AM »

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #66: February 11, 2015, 12:59:28 AM »

My oldest was born in 87 too, she was way more into 90's boy bands and Spice Girls than she ever was into 80's rock, you did something right VaRK :thumbs:

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #67: February 11, 2015, 01:13:31 AM »
My oldest was born in 87 too, she was way more into 90's boy bands and Spice Girls than she ever was into 80's rock, you did something right VaRK :thumbs:
Gee, I wonder where she got her taste for crappy music from?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #68: February 11, 2015, 01:18:25 AM »
Gee, I wonder where she got her taste for crappy music from?

:crackup:

hahaha I was totally a Guns 'N Roses girl, loved me some 80's metal! I wish I could find bands that still sound like that!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #69: February 11, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »

Hey now, they might have been the biggest and the most popular but there were farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from being the best act during that time.  That they were all white boys from across the pond that were reasonably attractive helped, but they weren't the best act out there.

:crackup:

hahaha I was totally a Guns 'N Roses girl, loved me some 80's metal! I wish I could find bands that still sound like that!

Check these guys out - they used to be Metal Skool (LA glam rock cover band) but started writing their own tunes with my good buddy Dean Cameron:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #70: February 11, 2015, 09:39:10 AM »
Hey now, they might have been the biggest and the most popular but there were farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from being the best act during that time.  That they were all white boys from across the pond that were reasonably attractive helped, but they weren't the best act out there.

You're crazy; the Beatles were the best ever and paved the way for the other bands.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #71: February 11, 2015, 09:40:26 AM »

Check these guys out - they used to be Metal Skool (LA glam rock cover band) but started writing their own tunes with my good buddy Dean Cameron:

Steel Panther is the exact first band I thought of when I read skippy's post but then decided not to reply with it because I don't know if skippy'd exactly appreciate the subject matter :lmao:

BTW Asian Hooker is their best song ever.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #72: February 11, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »
You're crazy; the Beatles were the best ever and paved the way for the other bands.

Sure, a lot of things would not have happened as quick as they did with the Beatles but to say there were the best ever is just wrong.  Were they good?  Sure.  Best ever?  No. 

• babble on
« Reply #73: February 11, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
The fella in the back is either feeling lust or ink envy towards his bandmates. Or perhaps he's not in the band...maybe they took the ball gag out of the gimp's mouth for the shoot.
Steel Panther is the exact first band I thought of when I read skippy's post but then decided not to reply with it because I don't know if skippy'd exactly appreciate the subject matter :lmao:

BTW Asian Hooker is their best song ever.

(Image removed from quote.)

• babble on
« Reply #74: February 11, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »
I think that assrock is the logical descendent of glam metal, so look no further than Turbonegro

And they're Norwegian  :pimp: