Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread (2015)  (Read 27190 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread (2015)
« Reply #25: January 26, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
they need to bring in Okada.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #26: January 26, 2015, 09:04:20 PM »
they need to bring in Okada.

Why? He's not Daniel Bryan. He'll just get booed.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #27: January 26, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »
I feel like the truth is somewhere in between what JM and Linty are saying. 

Let's face it, when you book a babyface to win the main event at a major PPV and you KNOW he's going to get booed, rather than try some weak bs like bringing in his popular cousin, how about making a different booking decision?  Even if they wouldn't yield on booking Reigns to win, at least turn him heel.  Put Bryan in the top 2 or 3 and have Reigns eliminate him in controversial fashion and have him deliver a beatdown, for instance.  That could perhaps set up a Bryan-Reigns match for your next PPV.

On the other hand, I think JM is right in that the modern fans are fairly horrendous.  It's almost impossible for anyone to get a good pop anymore, outside of a small handful of guys.  If they do get worked up during a match, it's only because of some spot.  Great, let's all cheer for spot wrestling because that's so good for the long-term health and durability of your favorite wrestlers.

Online imref

« Reply #28: January 26, 2015, 11:45:07 PM »
Why? He's not Daniel Bryan. He'll just get booed.

or be stuck with a dumb gimmick.

I'm telling you guys, watch Okada vs Tanahashi, the replay is on this Friday on AXS.  It's the best match I've seen since Flair-Steamboat 2 of 3 falls from many years back.

Online imref

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #30: January 27, 2015, 12:44:06 PM »
Official, wrestling fans are whiny nages.

"Waaaaaaaah daniel bryan doesnt win every single match he's involved in waaaaaaaaaaaaah i'm gonna boo everything that isnt daniel bryan waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"

freak off. Daniel Bryan isn't the end-all, be-all of wrestling.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Also, it was Philly.  What did anyone expect?

Bunch of freaking mouth-breathers.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #31: January 27, 2015, 01:56:19 PM »
#Cancelwwenetwork was trending worldwide on Twitter last night

And this afternoon, WWE announces they've hit the 1 million subscriber mark.

Online imref

« Reply #32: January 27, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »
And this afternoon, WWE announces they've hit the 1 million subscriber mark.

According to Variety, the free month and UK availability led to the growth.  I'd expect they'll maintain those numbers until Wrestlemania and the the bottom will fall out.

Online imref

« Reply #33: January 28, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
Last night I watched the first episode of ROH to air on WJLA-7, it's airing at 1 AM on Sundays so set your DVRs unless you are a night owl.  It's a very gritty show, strongly reminiscent of the old ECW.  Bad lighting, fairly violent/strong style matches, little humor or attempts to be wacky, it's a huge departure from WWE.  The main event was Christopher Daniels vs Alberto El Patron (the former Alberto Del Rio), they went somewhere around 20 minutes in a fantastic back and forth match with lots of near falls.

There are at least a few good alternatives to WWE on TV now between New Japan, Lucha Underground, and ROH.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: January 28, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »
Just wondering has a wrestler who was supposed to lose a match ever gone off script and tried to win?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #35: January 28, 2015, 07:21:42 PM »
I'll preface this by saying that I have never watched a single wrestling match. However, I do understand story-telling and I have a decent grasp on how wrestling functions. Having said that, could the WWE fix this situation by turning Reigns heel? They can't keep trying to push him as the next babyface icon if he gets booed all the time, can they? So have him turn heel hard. Hell, make him really hateable and have him turn heel in a match against Daniel Bryan. Have him beat Bryan viciously by cheating and then have him mock the fans for liking Bryan. Instant feud with fan investment in what happens.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #36: January 28, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »
I'll preface this by saying that I have never watched a single wrestling match. However, I do understand story-telling and I have a decent grasp on how wrestling functions. Having said that, could the WWE fix this situation by turning Reigns heel? They can't keep trying to push him as the next babyface icon if he gets booed all the time, can they? So have him turn heel hard. Hell, make him really hateable and have him turn heel in a match against Daniel Bryan. Have him beat Bryan viciously by cheating and then have him mock the fans for liking Bryan. Instant feud with fan investment in what happens.

That was my thought, but I'm assuming he'd prefer to be a face since there's more money in it.  Given that he's related to The Rock, it's hard for the WWE to say no to that.

Online imref

« Reply #37: January 28, 2015, 09:53:09 PM »
There's a lot of speculation that Heyman turns on Brock at wm and walks out with reigns with reigns winning the title.  That would seem to be the most logical approach but reportedly Vince is convinced that Reigns is the next Cena. 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #38: January 28, 2015, 09:54:34 PM »
There's a lot of speculation that Heyman turns on Brock at wm and walks out with reigns with reigns winning the title.  That would seem to be the most logical approach but reportedly Vince is convinced that Reigns is the next Cena. 
And he thinks people want another Cena? :smh:

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #39: January 28, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »
And he thinks people want another Cena? :smh:

Cena brings them pretty decent money in merchandising, but in all, yes, he's pretty delusional like that.  He's had few good ideas since the Attitude Era.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #40: January 29, 2015, 07:12:32 AM »
I lived in Hawaii from 1977-1985.  The promoter was Ed Francis, and his son would wrestle in his offseason.  Russ died in a plane crash in January of 1985.

We would go to several events at the Blaisdell Arena back then..I don't recall Andre or any other big time attractions on any cards but it appears he did headline.. 

We had King Ripper Collins as a weekly TV regular (a really a smallish older fella that would do security guard gigs at concerts); Tor Kamaka; and a host of local cats I can't recall right now.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #41: January 30, 2015, 05:59:36 PM »
As someone who has never watched wrestling, could I start watching the WWE and be even somewhat entertained, either by the product or by what a clusterfreak it is?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #42: January 30, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
As someone who has never watched wrestling, could I start watching the WWE and be even somewhat entertained, either by the product or by what a clusterfreak it is?

Yes...it can be comedy gold...though I confess it has been decades since I have actually watched it...

Online imref

« Reply #43: January 30, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »
Reminder. Okada vs tanahashi on axs at 8 eastern.  As good as any flair/steamboat match from the 90s.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #44: January 30, 2015, 10:33:40 PM »

This is basically what happened with Batista last year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #45: January 31, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
Just wondering has a wrestler who was supposed to lose a match ever gone off script and tried to win?

Absolutely. Back in the 50-60's the champ was expected to a legit tough guy due to the chance the promotion who brought in the chanp would go into business on their own and try and steal the NWA belt.

Online imref

« Reply #46: January 31, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »
the most famous incident is the "montreal screw job"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Screwjob

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #47: January 31, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »

If you go in expecting high-end entertainment, then you will despise it.  If you keep your expectations low then you will be able to find a lot worth watching.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #48: January 31, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »
If you go in expecting high-end entertainment, then you will despise it.  If you keep your expectations low then you will be able to find a lot worth watching.
I'm expecting it to be fun because it's fun to make jokes about how much it sucks, a la MST3K. Would that work?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #49: January 31, 2015, 08:21:31 PM »
I'm expecting it to be fun because it's fun to make jokes about how much it sucks, a la MST3K. Would that work?

Observe...don't judge...like ballet.  You will likely enjoy it better that way. 

Going in with the thought that it sucks does a disservice to the performers...any of which could snap your pencil neck in a heartbeat.

Pencil neck is a time honored wrestling term...not meant to be a personal insult in this context.