Author Topic: Nats acquire Jonathan Papelbon for Nick Pivetta  (Read 18579 times)

Offline UMDNats

We basically got Papelbon for what an elite 8th inning guy could cost, and now we have one of the best 8th inning guys in baseball in Storen. Why can't Drew be a teammate, set his mind on being the best 8th inning guy in baseball, and say that to reporters even if he is a little salty?

It's as much about the 7th and 8th innings as it is the 9th. Ugh.

Agree with this. Storen should, at least publicly, suck it up and put on a good face.

Storen will get paid regardless of this move.

Offline madj55

Too bad Storen is a sensitive nag and will pout and suck his way out of town.

Offline madj55

Storen took the closer role from his own best friend and you didn't hear a peep out of Clippard. Guarantee he blows a game vs. the Mets this weekend.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Ways to express dissatisfaction without publicly demanding a trade and dumping on a new teammate:

-I don't love it but I'll do my best in the 8th inning blah blah
-It's tough but if it makes our team better that's what matters blah blah blah

Dude needs to take a class with Zimmerman on how to say nothing to reporters while technically speaking English sentences about baseball.

Offline aussienatsfan

I understand the reasons for and against Drew being annoyed. I mean the bullpen sucked except the 9th inning and we went and got a 9th inning guy. Why not give up lesss and get a decent set up guy or something.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
We did give up less.

Offline aussienatsfan

We also gave up on Storen, our only reliable bullpen guy who has the mental capacity of a goldfish

Offline UMDNats

We also gave up on Storen, our only reliable bullpen guy who has the mental capacity of a goldfish

let's give that guy with the mental capacity of a goldfish the ball in the playoffs, where's he's already shown he can't get it done!

If storen can't handle this he won't be the guy who closes out the world series for us.

Offline Mattionals

We did give up less.

And got a guy who is worse than who was previously in the 9th inning. If Papelbon was pitching the 8th instead of the 9th, and Storen comes in after 8 innings of Scherzer in the DS and looks like crap, go to Papelbon. He has shown so far this year that he at least deserved to pitch in a save situation again in the playoffs, but they should give him less rope or margin for error. Now, it's just assumed that he won't ever pitch that inning.

Offline UMDNats

Ways to express dissatisfaction without publicly demanding a trade and dumping on a new teammate:

-I don't love it but I'll do my best in the 8th inning blah blah
-It's tough but if it makes our team better that's what matters blah blah blah

Dude needs to take a class with Zimmerman on how to say nothing to reporters while technically speaking English sentences about baseball.

Blows my mind how poorly he is playing this. Handling the media is an INSANELY easy thing to do for a player. Like, Storen is a college-educated human being with a college-educated agent. Together, they can't decide to play it smart in the media, come out looking like a good guy, and move on.

NOPE LET'S BE PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE

Offline UMDNats

And got a guy who is worse than who was previously in the 9th inning.

I mean this just is a false statement.

I don't even like Papelbon but the game is a dynamite 9th inning pitcher.

Offline Mattionals

I mean this just is a false statement.

Statistically, it's not. This year, Papelbon has been a worse pitcher than Storen. ERA is deceiving, peripherals are trending in the wrong directions for Papelbon. Closer in his prime versus a guy who is going wrong. Soriano part 2.

Offline Clever

I like this move. Papelbon may be a terrible human being, but he has that mentality that you want pitching in the 9th inning.

Drewie's already earned himself a nice raise for next year with the 29 saves he racked up, if he's able to handle this move like a pro, I think the pen is set up well. Maybe pick up another arm if Dave Carpenter doesn't come back this year.

Offline rileyn

I hate having Paplebon on my team.  This is rough.

Offline UMDNats

Statistically, it's not. This year, Papelbon has been a worse pitcher than Storen. ERA is deceiving, peripherals are trending in the wrong directions for Papelbon. Closer in his prime versus a guy who is going wrong. Soriano part 2.

Their numbers are insanely close across the board this year. Papelbon's K and walk rates are right in line with usual. All of his peripherals are pretty much the same as every year!

Velo is slightly down but he's still getting the same results. Storen and Papelbon are basically a wash.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Roark got shafted way worse and handled it way better...

Offline pazzo83

Roark got shafted way worse and handled it way better...

Roark comes to the park ready to play in whatever capacity is asked of him.  Storen doesn't seem to have this quality.

Offline MorseTheHorse

Cheering for this guy is gonna suck. 

Offline Clever

Cheering for this guy is gonna suck.

Why ?

Offline madj55

Wonder how many people Storen's dad will block on Twitter tonight.

Offline Natsinpwc

Roark comes to the park ready to play in whatever capacity is asked of him.  Storen doesn't seem to have this quality.
I think he just gave an honest reaction when he should have kept his mouth closed. He will be fine pitching the eighth. The leaders on the team need to tell him to let his pitching do the talking for him. The trade makes the pen better and therefore gives everyone a better chance.

Offline pazzo83

Goddamn fellas!

:clap: :clap:

Offline UMDNats

We should have traded for Puig to rustle Harper's jimmies.

Offline Mattionals

Their numbers are insanely close across the board this year. Papelbon's K and walk rates are right in line with usual. All of his peripherals are pretty much the same as every year!

Velo is slightly down but he's still getting the same results. Storen and Papelbon are basically a wash.

Papelbon has more hard hit balls, a lower BABIP showing he has been luckier, has a fringy fastball according to value and is pitching to a FIP over a run higher than Storen.

Storen is having a better year looking at everything but ERA and changeup value, which Papelbon doesn't have a changeup so not an apples to apples comparison.

Offline Dave301

:lol: Didn't realize he was on there. What's his handle?