Author Topic: Whytev goes to San Francisco?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline whytev

Whytev goes to San Francisco?
« Topic Start: July 27, 2015, 11:10:11 PM »
I'm this close to going to the Giants series.  I was thinking of it for a while, and I just realised it is a four game series, which makes it more worth the trip.

Questions:

1) Who has been to AT&T before?

2) Where did you sit and what did you think?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Whytev goes to San Francisco?
« Reply #1: July 27, 2015, 11:14:10 PM »
I've never been but all I ever hear about are the garlic fries so if you go please get some and let me know if they're as crazy good as they're said to be :)

Offline whytev

« Reply #2: July 27, 2015, 11:17:42 PM »
I've never been but all I ever hear about are the garlic fries so if you go please get some and let me know if they're as crazy good as they're said to be :)

I've had them a few times at Safeco in Seattle, and let me tell you, after about half the order you feel yourself sweating out so much garlic that you feel guilty for being in public.

Delicious though.

Offline whytev

« Reply #3: July 28, 2015, 12:27:58 AM »
If a mod wants to delete this, please do.

I've been researching and researching and plotting and making spreadsheets, and I've finally decided I can't afford it.

Maybe next year...

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #4: July 28, 2015, 07:09:17 AM »
I'll be there for the game on Friday, Aug. 14. First time visiting that park. Still undecided about the garlic fries.

Offline wj73

« Reply #5: July 28, 2015, 11:21:27 AM »
Whytev - it's definitely a park worth saving your pennies for.  And when you get there, yes, do get the garlic fries.  It's a beautiful ballpark, and the fans are friendly and knowledgeable.  BIL - Have fun.  I'm seriously envious of anyone getting a trip to SF!

When I visit a different ballpark, I usually try to get seats in the upper deck behind home.  Those tend to give you the best overall view of the park and the surroundings.  If you're in a lower section you have the advantage of being closer to the baseball action, but you also don't get to enjoy the spectacular views that some of these ballparks like SF and PIT have.  Also, you can usually pick up some decent seats around that area on StubHub without breaking the bank. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #6: July 28, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »
Go anyways. Carpe diem.
I've been researching and researching and plotting and making spreadsheets, and I've finally decided I can't afford it.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: July 28, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »
Go anyways. Carpe diem.
Charge it to the Lerners.

Offline whytev

« Reply #8: July 28, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
Whytev - it's definitely a park worth saving your pennies for.  And when you get there, yes, do get the garlic fries.  It's a beautiful ballpark, and the fans are friendly and knowledgeable.  BIL - Have fun.  I'm seriously envious of anyone getting a trip to SF!

When I visit a different ballpark, I usually try to get seats in the upper deck behind home.  Those tend to give you the best overall view of the park and the surroundings.  If you're in a lower section you have the advantage of being closer to the baseball action, but you also don't get to enjoy the spectacular views that some of these ballparks like SF and PIT have.  Also, you can usually pick up some decent seats around that area on StubHub without breaking the bank.

I can afford the seats and afford the drive. It's the accommodations that are way more than I was counting on. I just spent all my money getting married.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #9: July 28, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »
I can afford the seats and afford the drive. It's the accommodations that are way more than I was counting on. I just spent all my money getting married.

Correct, hotels are beyond ridiculous in SF.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #10: July 28, 2015, 12:34:27 PM »

That's why they have credit cards...it's the American way.

Wait...

Offline whytev

« Reply #11: July 28, 2015, 12:34:49 PM »

Air b&b is not much better.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #12: July 28, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »
Air b&b is not much better.

If you are willing to drive 20 miles, Marriott Hotels start in the low $100's per night.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/oakcp-courtyard-pleasant-hill/

Offline whytev

« Reply #13: July 28, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »
If you are willing to drive 20 miles, Marriott Hotels start in the low $100's per night.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/oakcp-courtyard-pleasant-hill/

Thanks for the tip! That's a lot of tolls but I'll add it up.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #14: July 28, 2015, 12:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the tip! That's a lot of tolls but I'll add it up.

They have a number of other options...just not sure what part of town they all relate to:

https://www.marriott.com/default.mi

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #15: July 28, 2015, 12:52:06 PM »

I was able to get a decent hotel for $160 a night but I booked several months ahead. Hotels.com is the way I usually go.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #16: July 28, 2015, 01:23:08 PM »
I was able to get a decent hotel for $160 a night but I booked several months ahead. Hotels.com is the way I usually go.

My wife handles that stuff, I'm too busy.  :hysterical:  See you at the game.  :mg:

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #17: July 28, 2015, 02:12:27 PM »
AT&T Park is a beautiful ballpark, but the aspect that really makes it special IMO is the views of the Bay, McCovey Cove, the Bay Bridge, etc.  If that is important to you, I recommend View Box 307 or 308, which are just under the uppermost sections and still give good views of the field while the best views of the Bay.  I don't get too excited about ballpark food but if you like crab, eat a Crazy Crab sandwich sold in the center field concession area.  Expensive but delicious.  And sundaes from the Ghirardelli vendors are unreal. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #18: July 28, 2015, 02:21:04 PM »
Just watch out for these

And sundaes from the Ghirardelli vendors are unreal. 

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #19: July 28, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »
AT&T Park is a beautiful ballpark, but the aspect that really makes it special IMO is the views of the Bay, McCovey Cove, the Bay Bridge, etc.  If that is important to you, I recommend View Box 307 or 308, which are just under the uppermost sections and still give good views of the field while the best views of the Bay.  I don't get too excited about ballpark food but if you like crab, eat a Crazy Crab sandwich sold in the center field concession area.  Expensive but delicious.  And sundaes from the Ghirardelli vendors are unreal. 

Great recommendations. My SF friends already bought tickets but the food recommendations are gold. I'm in.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline whytev

« Reply #21: July 28, 2015, 03:01:43 PM »

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #22: July 28, 2015, 03:33:20 PM »
Great recommendations. My SF friends already bought tickets but the food recommendations are gold. I'm in.

If you can, get to the ballpark when it opens and go to the Crazy Crab place before the lines get too long.  Best place to enter for that purpose is the Seal Plaza CF gate (then walk upstairs to the CF concession area).  After eating at a picnic bench, you'll have plenty of time to casually walk around the stadium. 

If you do go to the ballpark early, there's a good chance the sky will be gray and maybe some mist so you may want a light jacket but the sun likely will be beaming by an hour before game time. 

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #23: July 28, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »
I plan on heading there myself on the 14th. Only about an hour drive from my house, depending on traffic. My in-laws, who are hardcore Giants fans, bought the wife and I some tickets with them, so I hope to see a great game there.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #24: July 28, 2015, 10:07:24 PM »
If you can, get to the ballpark when it opens and go to the Crazy Crab place before the lines get too long.  Best place to enter for that purpose is the Seal Plaza CF gate (then walk upstairs to the CF concession area).  After eating at a picnic bench, you'll have plenty of time to casually walk around the stadium. 

If you do go to the ballpark early, there's a good chance the sky will be gray and maybe some mist so you may want a light jacket but the sun likely will be beaming by an hour before game time. 

Good stuff. I'm going with a couple of locals but they probably don't know the park as well as you guys.