Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2013)  (Read 36434 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2013)
« Reply #75: February 25, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/02/25/how-and-why-sports-illustrated-photographed-bryce-harper-at-the-lincoln-memorial/

How and why Sports Illustrated photographed Bryce Harper at the Lincoln Memorial

By Dan Steinberg , Updated: February 25, 2013

The first thing I wondered when I saw Bryce Harper’s new Sports Illustrated cover shot was this: How did SI get the NL rookie of the year — one of baseball’s most recognizable figures — in full uniform, on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, without anyone noticing?

Here’s the answer: the magazine brought him to the Mall in a limo early on a bitterly cold Saturday morning in January.

“I had the idea to do it early in the morning, because there’d be less people around,” said D.C. based photographer Simon Bruty, who has shot dozens of SI covers and a memorable Alex Ovechkin portrait. “But I didn’t factor in that it was going to snow.”

The shoot was scheduled for around 8 in the morning on January 26, a few hours before NatsFest at the Convention Center. The night before, you’ll recall, schools closed early and after-school activities were canceled because of a winter weather event that brought at least a dusting of snow to much of the area. (You can see some of the snow on the grass next to the reflecting pool, which I didn’t initially notice.) And for a shoot that lasted 45 minutes, with Harper in short-sleeved baseball gear, the weather wasn’t exactly ideal.

“He froze his [you know whats] off,” said Bruty, a U.K. native. “It was bloody cold, to say the least.”

“The only way we could do it and not cause a big scene was to shoot early in the morning,  before most people in D.C. would be awake,” explained SI picture editor Nate Gordon in an e-mail. “We imagined it without snow and ice — but looking at it now, I think the ice makes it unique. I think the area was mostly empty because it was so cold and so early, so in that sense we just got lucky.”

Now, why take him down to the Mall in the first place?

“We knew we wanted to come up with a surprising image of Harper for a likely cover going into spring training,” Gordon further wrote. “We started brainstorming ideas, not knowing when or where we’d get to shoot. We hoped we could do the shoot in D.C., so we could find a way to incorporate the city in the shot in some way. As luck would have it, while we were going back and forth, we learned that Bryce would be in Washington for the Nationals’ fan fest….We fixed on the idea of incorporating the Washington Monument into the background, floated the idea to Bryce — and he loved it.”

Gordon had imagined possibly staging the shoot on a D.C. or Virginia rooftop, with the Monument in the background. But Bruty scouted a variety of locations, including others near the Mall, and decided that the Lincoln location would be best. He got Park Service permits to operate on and around the Memorial, and also decided to photograph Harper with the Memorial itself in the background.

That’s what led to the image which opens the story, a photograph that Bruty actually much prefers to the cover shot.

“That epitomizes Bryce Harper: the strength, the pillars,” he said. “That’s Bryce Harper. He’s obviously a lot younger than the Memorial, but I think that strength comes out. For me, that’s a better picture. I’m not that interested in getting the cover; I’m more interested in getting a good photograph.”

In any case, there were a few tourists around, who figured out what was going on that morning. But news of the shoot didn’t go viral, allowing the cover to come as a surprise to Nats fans (and bloggers). Harper — who was doing his second SI cover shoot — wanted to see the images Bruty was capturing throughout the process. And the photographer said the outfielder didn’t mention a word about the cold.

“I photograph a lot of sports guys; Bryce Harper was perfect,” Bruty told me. “He didn’t moan once about it. He didn’t really have a big fur coat, which he should have done, because it was that bloody cold. He had a hoodie that he took on and off….I’m not just saying this; he really did not moan or whine once about the cold. He did exactly what I was asking him to do. He was really good. I mean, I was wrapped up, and he stripped off to the kit, the uniform without any worry. That’s pretty impressive.”

(Second image via @rocket1124.)

© The Washington Post Company

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #76: February 25, 2013, 09:48:29 PM »
according to olney, Joey Votto says of Harper: "he has a slump-proof swing, he can't be beaten"

cant find this on google, where did you see it

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #77: February 25, 2013, 09:58:05 PM »
Quote from: @JackOBeam
According to Buster Olney: Joey Votto on Harper: Essentially, he can't be beaten. He has a "slump proof swing." #Nats

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #78: February 25, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »

Olney said it on his crappy baseball tonight podcast

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #79: February 25, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »

Just take the man's word for it and bust a nut already.

Offline madj55

« Reply #80: February 25, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #81: February 26, 2013, 07:09:41 AM »
ahhhhhh skeet skeet skeet

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #82: February 26, 2013, 10:45:43 PM »
Three more knocks today.... Davey sit this guy a few days in a row. It's the best thing for him until the games count!

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #83: February 26, 2013, 10:45:54 PM »

Did that already.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #84: February 26, 2013, 10:58:02 PM »
Three more knocks today.... Davey sit this guy a few days in a row. It's the best thing for him until the games count!

He talked his way into the game tomorrow.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #85: February 26, 2013, 11:28:43 PM »
He needs innings in left.  Let him get as many mistakes out of the way now while it doesn't matter.

Offline swirvi

« Reply #86: February 27, 2013, 06:20:46 AM »
Those powercleans were sexy.

They were actually very unsexy.  His butt was pushed forward, his legs were too far apart, and his back was arched.  Good way to injure yourself when you're older and not as flexible.

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #87: February 27, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
They were actually very unsexy.  His butt was pushed forward, his legs were too far apart, and his back was arched.  Good way to injure yourself when you're older and not as flexible.

I was waiting for someone to critique his form  :lol: If you're going to nitpick you should have noted that he didn't bring his elbows up enough either.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #88: February 27, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »

please submit your major clothing company comercial for comparison.

:poke:

just kidding

Offline spidernat

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #91: March 01, 2013, 01:23:43 PM »
He looks Spockish in that photo.  i'm surprised the caption isn't "Bryce tells you how to live long and prosper."

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #92: March 01, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
He looks Spockish in that photo.  i'm surprised the caption isn't "Bryce tells you how to live long and prosper."
Yeah, Strasburg's elf ears definitely rubbed off on him.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #93: March 01, 2013, 05:19:28 PM »
:lmao:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #94: March 01, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »

It wouldn't hurt Harper if he grew a bit of hair on the sides to hide those jug handles.

We should have a competition for who has the biggest ears on the team. I'd put Mattheus in their too.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #95: March 02, 2013, 07:58:54 AM »
Is Harper carrying a murse around at spring training?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #97: March 08, 2013, 11:13:57 AM »
The Rarity of a 20-Year-Old Batting 3rd
Ryan Zimmerman Okay with it

Full story & video interview of Harper: http://espn.go.com/blog/spring-training/post/_/id/848/bryce-harper-may-bat-third-for-nationals

Excerpt: CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Davey Johnson says he figured out his everyday lineup weeks ago. He just isn't saying what it is yet... On Tuesday, Johnson taped a lineup to his dugout wall back in Viera that looked like this:

1. Denard Span CF (L)
2. Jayson Werth RF (R)
3. Bryce Harper LF (L)
4. Ryan Zimmerman DH (R)
5. Adam LaRoche 1B (L)
6. Ian Desmond SS (R)
7. Danny Espinosa 2B (S)
8. Wilson Ramos C (R)
9. Chad Tracy 3B (Pitcher spot)

"You saw the lineup the other day," the manager said to one member of his beloved Washington media corps. "If you didn't get any glimmer of hope, of what I was thinking …"  Let's say Harper really does hit third all season, at 20 years old. Here's how rare that is:

• Over the past 97 seasons, according to baseball-reference.com’s fabulous Play Index, exactly one player that young has batted third in 100 or more games in any season. That would be Al Kaline, who hit third 152 times for the 1955 Tigers.

• And only three other 20-year-olds spent as many as 60-plus games in the three-hole in any season in that span: Arky Vaughn (89 games) in 1932, Cesar Cedeno (88 games) in 1971 and Ken Griffey Jr. (87 games) in 1990.

• Among the short list of young boppers who even did it for as many as 30 games in a season, you'll find these not exactly anonymous names: Mel Ott (58 games), Mickey Mantle (43), Hank Aaron (35) and Willie Mays (34).

...[W]e asked Johnson what he saw in Harper, with age factored out of it. "He proved he can play up here last year," Johnson said, then recapped some of Harper's ups and downs. At which point he concluded: "So he struggled a little bit up here. He's overcome that. He uses the whole field. He lays off bad pitches. He's a tough out. [But] a lot of it is, I like a lineup that makes it tougher [for the opposing manager] to do matchups."

...One interesting wrinkle to this lineup, other than the Harper factor, is that it could involve Ryan Zimmerman hitting fourth instead of LaRoche. Last year, LaRoche batted cleanup in 105 of his 148 starts, while Zimmerman hit fourth in zero starts (but batted third in all 144 games he started). So Johnson said he told Zimmerman the other day this might be a possibility. "He said he didn't care," the manager reported, "just as long as Harper didn't drive in all the runs before he got up."

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #98: March 08, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
So Johnson said he told Zimmerman the other day this might be a possibility. "He said he didn't care," the manager reported, "just as long as Harper didn't drive in all the runs before he got up."
I LOL'd at that.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause