Author Topic: Colin Cowherd and Dominicans  (Read 2571 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Colin Cowherd and Dominicans
« Topic Start: July 24, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »
It’s baseball,’’ Cowherd said. “You don’t think a general manager can manage? Like it’s impossible? The game is too complex? I’ve never bought into that, ‘Baseball’s just too complex.’ Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic.’’

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Colin Cowherd and Dominicans
« Reply #1: July 24, 2015, 01:37:47 PM »
Lacks context.

Offline imref

« Reply #2: July 24, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »
Lacks context.

he was talking about whether or not a GM could be a Manager (as Dan Jennings has done in Miami).

Offline imref

« Reply #3: July 24, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »
Jose Bautista on Twitter: "before i rip you a new one, i would like for you to explain what u meant to say about baseball and dominicans, please.’’

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #5: July 24, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
he was talking about whether or not a GM could be a Manager (as Dan Jennings has done in Miami).

But he also went on to cite statistics about academic standings worldwide and how the DR ranks really low (something like the bottom 10th) in terms of academic standing.  That didn't make any of the articles, though.

Offline imref

« Reply #7: July 24, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »
But he also went on to cite statistics about academic standings worldwide and how the DR ranks really low (something like the bottom 10th) in terms of academic standing.  That didn't make any of the articles, though.

so that kind of reinforces his view that dominicans are dumb. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #8: July 24, 2015, 02:20:42 PM »
so that kind of reinforces his view that dominicans are dumb. 

Where did he say "Domincans are dumb?"

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: July 24, 2015, 02:24:06 PM »
Where did he say "Domincans are dumb?"

Baseball is so simple even Dominicans can do it is pretty equivalent

“Baseball’s too complex.” Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #10: July 24, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
He doesn't directly say it. He simply notes that the DR education system sucks, ergo baseball knowledge isn't about book smarts.

However, I find it unlikely he didn't mean the comment as disparaging. Radio talk show hosts are paid to get people talking about their show and their station in order to get more listeners and advertisers.  He could have said 'Baseball is too hard? I don't buy that. Formal education has no bearing on whether or not you understand the game. Having a PhD in Architecture does not make you fit to manage a baseball team.'

Instead, he choose to take a cheap shot at a poor country who's biggest in house lottery system is the dream of escaping the island to play pro ball and help get your family set for life.

**edit: corrected typo

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #11: July 24, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »
Baseball is so simple even Dominicans can do it is pretty equivalent

But he didn't say "Dominicans are dumb."  He also didn't say that it takes a Harvard education to understand the sport. 

I guess if you want to put it all in equivalents he's talking crap about all baseball fans (including all of us here) saying that we're all not very smart for following such a simple sport.

He was talking crap about managers and how it's not a tough job.  Does anyone think Matt Williams is a member of MENSA?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #12: July 24, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »
He doesn't directly say it. He simply notes that the DR education system sucks, ergo baseball knowledge isn't about book smarts.

However, I find it unlikely he didn't mean the comment as disparaging. Radio talk show hosts are paid to get people talking about their show and their station in order to get more listeners and advertisers.  He could have said 'Baseball is too hard? I don't buy that. Format education has no bearing on whether or not you understand the game. Having a PhD in Architecture does not make you fit to manage a baseball team.'

Instead, he choose to take a cheap shot at a poor country who's biggest in house lottery system is the dream of escaping the island to play pro ball and help get your family set for life.

:clap:

Offline imref

« Reply #13: July 24, 2015, 02:42:32 PM »

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #14: July 24, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »
I'm not surprised he's looking down his nose at Dominicans from his lofty perch with his Eastern Washington bachelor's degree.

Then again - maybe he shouldn't be talking about guys making it big after lackluster educations :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: July 24, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »
But he didn't say "Dominicans are dumb."  He also didn't say that it takes a Harvard education to understand the sport. 

I guess if you want to put it all in equivalents he's talking crap about all baseball fans (including all of us here) saying that we're all not very smart for following such a simple sport.

He was talking crap about managers and how it's not a tough job.  Does anyone think Matt Williams is a member of MENSA?

He chose to use  Dominican as a example of  someone incapable of grasping complex concepts

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #16: July 24, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »
He chose to use  Dominican as a example of  someone incapable of grasping complex concepts

You're looking for something to be angry at.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #17: July 24, 2015, 03:17:10 PM »

What are you blathering about? It's clearly inflammatory. There are far more American non-college graduates who have been major league managers than Dominicans. If he was trying to make a point that you don't need a Harvard education to be a baseball manager, there's a far less inflammatory way to make that point by just saying, hey, look at all the kids who get drafted right out of HS and end up being major league managers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

He could have said that.

Instead he picks on the DR, AND lied by the way - Dominicans only make up 10% of MLB rosters as of 2014. 28% are foreign-born, however, which is what I assume Cowherd was referring to because I have no doubt there's little difference to him between Venezulans, Dominicans, Cubans, etc.

Offline madj55

« Reply #18: July 24, 2015, 03:21:55 PM »
Colin Cowherd is a piece of crap. Not surprised by these comments at all.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #19: July 24, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
Colin Cowherd is a piece of crap. Not surprised by these comments at all.

Exactly.  I like a lot of ESPN personalities that others don't but I can't stomach Cowherd, such a condescending ass.  Great hire, Foxsports 1 :roll:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #20: July 24, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »
What are you dense?

Wouldn't that make me Dominican?  :?

What are you blathering about? It's clearly inflammatory. There are far more American non-college graduates who have been major league managers than Dominicans. If he was trying to make a point that you don't need a Harvard education to be a baseball manager, there's a far less inflammatory way to make that point by just saying, hey, look at all the kids who get drafted right out of HS and end up being major league managers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

He could have said that.

Instead he picks on the DR, AND lied by the way - Dominicans only make up 10% of MLB rosters as of 2014. 28% are foreign-born, however, which is what I assume Cowherd was referring to because I have no doubt there's little difference to him between Venezulans, Dominicans, Cubans, etc.

You clearly didn't hear the entire segment and subsequent segments and you want to be mad at something.  You're citing statistics that have nothing to do with the point he was (albeit loosely) attempting to make.

And "less inflammatory" doesn't get ratings.  This clearly got everyone's attention here and none of you even listened to the entirety of the show.  :lmao:  Colin Cowherd is obviously smarter than anyone else here.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #21: July 24, 2015, 03:49:55 PM »
I don't know how Minty ever got off my ignore list, tbh. Like Colin Cowherd, I'm clarifying that error today.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #22: July 24, 2015, 05:17:52 PM »
Wouldn't that make me Dominican?  :?

:crackup:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #23: July 24, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »

Why does someone who takes Cowherd to task for what he said have to be angry?  I'm not angry and I still think what he said was pretty demeaning to Dominicans, same as it would be to Italian people if he'd said "even someone from Italy can figure it out" or to women if he'd have said "even a chick can figure it out" he can try to qualify it all he wants after the fact but his statement was derogatory and if I were Dominican I'd probably be angry and want to punch him in the face but as it is I just find him pathetic, I don't know why you insist anyone who doesn't agree with your viewpoint is angry and wrong :smh:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #24: July 24, 2015, 07:12:53 PM »
As MDS would say... Cowherd is a needle dick.