Author Topic: Rule 5 Eligibles - 2023  (Read 413 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Rule 5 Eligibles - 2023
« Topic Start: August 05, 2022, 01:39:59 PM »
Talknats notes that we've got a lot of rule-5 eligibles next year:

Rule 5-Eligible Players from MLB’s Top 30 Nationals Prospects: Jackson Rutledge (#6), Matt Cronin (#15), Jeremy De La Rosa (#16), Drew Millas (#22), Jackson Cluff (#24), Israel Pineda (#26), Jordy Barley (#28), Mason Denaburg (#29), Jake Irvin (#30)

Cluff, Barley, and Irvin seem to be the most likely to remain unprotected, meaning that we need to find 6 slots on the 40 man for guys likely to be in the minors next year. I imagine they could also leave guys like Denaburg and Rutledge unprotected as they aren't going to be on major league rosters next year either.

TN predicts we free up space by DFA'ng Antuna, Barrera, Seth Romero, and Donovan Casey (I think Casey gets more time).

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Rule 5 Eligibles - 2023
« Reply #1: August 05, 2022, 02:30:39 PM »
I think Barrera gets more time. Casey is a .220 hitter in AAA -- I doubt he makes it.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #2: August 05, 2022, 06:46:36 PM »
I think Barrera gets more time. Casey is a .220 hitter in AAA -- I doubt he makes it.

I don't see them bailing on either Barrera or Casey. Casey because he was part of the Scherzer/Turner deal. Barrera because, well, he is a competent back up C and I think Adams is going to find his way to 1B/DH.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #3: August 05, 2022, 07:57:09 PM »
Talknats notes that we've got a lot of rule-5 eligibles next year:

Cluff, Barley, and Irvin seem to be the most likely to remain unprotected, meaning that we need to find 6 slots on the 40 man for guys likely to be in the minors next year. I imagine they could also leave guys like Denaburg and Rutledge unprotected as they aren't going to be on major league rosters next year either.

TN predicts we free up space by DFA'ng Antuna, Barrera, Seth Romero, and Donovan Casey (I think Casey gets more time).

Antuna and Romero, yes, but also there will be a bunch of slots freed by the departures of C. Hernandez, Franco, Cruz, Sanchez, Clippard, and Doolittle (although a couple of those guys are on the 60 right now and not counting against the limit).  Unless they really impress, Palacios, Vargas, and Meneses get DFAed.  Probably Fox and Francisco Perez too. 

Offline Section214

« Reply #4: August 05, 2022, 08:07:36 PM »
Antuna and Romero, yes, but also there will be a bunch of slots freed by the departures of C. Hernandez, Franco, Cruz, Sanchez, Clippard, and Doolittle (although a couple of those guys are on the 60 right now and not counting against the limit).  Unless they really impress, Palacios, Vargas, and Meneses get DFAed.  Probably Fox and Francisco Perez too. 

I think F Perez and Palacios are parts of our near-term future.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #5: August 05, 2022, 08:11:02 PM »

I think Francisco Perez stays. Ought to be brought up. I saw him the other night and he pitched well for two innings, after Cavalli pitched a shaky four.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #6: August 05, 2022, 08:21:24 PM »
I think F Perez and Palacios are parts of our near-term future.

If you wish.  Point is, there's still ~10 slots that can be opened off the current 40 without any painful cuts. 

Offline Section214

« Reply #7: August 05, 2022, 08:37:29 PM »
If you wish.  Point is, there's still ~10 slots that can be opened off the current 40 without any painful cuts. 

Completely agree. There are plenty of places for anyone showing promise.