Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Victor Robles, OF  (Read 48821 times)

Offline GNatsNoMore

Re: Follow the Prospects: Victor Robles, OF
« Reply #325: August 02, 2018, 02:07:16 PM »
So no different than at home for me then....
I can relate to that, dude.  :lol:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #326: August 02, 2018, 02:20:17 PM »
Anyone seen imref lately?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #327: August 02, 2018, 03:00:05 PM »
Robles also has four steals in the past week. Not bad at AAA. His arm, legs, and gloves are the driver of his value, not the bat.

I would like to see him in September, but Michael Taylor is a plus glove and runner. Stevenson can provide situation defense and speed. If Harper leaves this offseason, I want Robles to get the chance to win CF over Taylor, but this September I am not sure where Robles makes total sense as more than a useful backup.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #328: August 02, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »
Robles also has four steals in the past week. Not bad at AAA. His arm, legs, and gloves are the driver of his value, not the bat.

I would like to see him in September, but Michael Taylor is a plus glove and runner. Stevenson can provide situation defense and speed. If Harper leaves this offseason, I want Robles to get the chance to win CF over Taylor, but this September I am not sure where Robles makes total sense as more than a useful backup.

it all depends on what we do with Harper. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #329: August 02, 2018, 05:48:05 PM »
There is no reason to rush him back.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #330: August 03, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »
There is no reason to rush him back.
Nope. It wouldn't even be the worst thing if he started out next season in Syracuse. He doesn't have many ABs above the levels of the minors.

Online imref

« Reply #331: August 13, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »
.143 in his last 10, including a current 0-13 and 2-16 streak.  Not looking like we'll see him anytime soon.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #332: August 13, 2018, 06:29:22 PM »
.143 in his last 10, including a current 0-13 and 2-16 streak.  Not looking like we'll see him anytime soon.

That's a lot of BABIP...

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #333: August 13, 2018, 06:49:33 PM »

He'll be up in September, if for no other reasons than he can play decent defense in CF and run well.  The team only has one actual centerfielder right now.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #334: August 14, 2018, 10:23:49 AM »
I wouldn't bring him into this losing culture, he's too young and it might ruin him for good.  Wait until next year to bring him into the losing culture.

Online Slateman

« Reply #335: August 14, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »
I wouldn't bring him into this losing culture, he's too young and it might ruin him for good.  Wait until next year to bring him into the losing culture.
He's already been in it, last year.

Online imref

« Reply #336: August 20, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »
6-10 over his last two games, raising his average from .211 to .250.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #337: August 20, 2018, 02:17:41 PM »
6-10 over his last two games, raising his average from .211 to .250.
CALL HIM UP

:whip:

Online Slateman

« Reply #338: August 20, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »
CALL HIM UP

:whip:
Eh, you have too wait 11 days. Honestly though, he'd just ride the bench. You think he'd start over Adam Eaton or Bryce Harper at this point?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #340: August 21, 2018, 09:33:12 AM »
DFA Taylor? EVERYONE
Fixed that for you.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #341: September 01, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »
Everything I have read indicates that Robles will be up after Syracuse's season ends September 3.  I know someone here earlier said it didn't make sense to bring him up because the time will count and the Nats will lose a season of control.  I think he could use the at bats.  Hope lil d doesn't bury him on the bench.

Can someone provide specifics on service time for Robles??

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #342: September 01, 2018, 11:07:30 AM »
Everything I have read indicates that Robles will be up after Syracuse's season ends September 3.  I know someone here earlier said it didn't make sense to bring him up because the time will count and the Nats will lose a season of control.  I think he could use the at bats.  Hope lil d doesn't bury him on the bench.

I don’t think it matters. He’s got 31 days of service time and will get ~27 days of service time if he’s called up after September 3. A year is considered 172 days of service time. So he will have 0.33 years accrued. You become a free agent the season after you accrue 6 full years. So assuming Robles gets called up for good next year. After next year he will have 1.33 years, after 2020 2.33 years etc until he has 5.33 after 2023. But because he didn’t get to six years before the season he’s still under contract until after 2024.

The only way not calling him up this season would help is if you were also going to hold him out of 40-50 games next year to keep him from getting to 1 year of service time by the end of the season.

I guess you could have argued that they should have also not called him up last year and then next year held him out for the beginning of the season to keep him thru 2025, but that ship has sailed and I assume they actually want him to play all next year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #343: September 01, 2018, 11:07:49 AM »

This was what I could find.  Sound like he will have about 50 days of service time after this September. 

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2018/03/how-should-the-nationals-handle-victor-robles.html

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #344: September 01, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »
I don’t think it matters. He’s got 31 days of service time and will get ~27 days of service time if he’s called up after September 3. A year is considered 172 days of service time. So he will have 0.33 years accrued. You become a free agent the season after you accrue 6 full years. So assuming Robles gets called up for good next year. After next year he will have 1.33 years, after 2020 2.33 years etc until he has 5.33 after 2023. But because he didn’t get to six years before the season he’s still under contract until after 2024.

The only way not calling him up this season would help is if you were also going to hold him out of 40-50 games next year to keep him from getting to 1 year of service time by the end of the season.

I guess you could have argued that they should have also not called him up last year and then next year held him out for the beginning of the season to keep him thru 2025, but that ship has sailed and I assume they actually want him to play all next year.
Agree; the article I posted said he has 25 days service time.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #345: September 01, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
Agree; the article I posted said he has 25 days service time.

that's what Cot's has.  Basically, if he's called up, then they plan on starting him in the majors next year.  They are not going to keep him down until near the end of May in 2019 to game his MLB service time.  If he's not called up and goes to the AFL instead, then they could do what they were doing this year - keep him down until near the end of April, let Taylor / Stevenson fail, then bring him up.  The reason it did not work out that way this year is because he was hurt in the minors.  Otherwise, Taylor doesn't get a chance to have his hot streak after April.

By the way, I think they've tipped their hand because he's not on the AFL roster like carter Kieboom is.

Online Slateman

« Reply #346: September 01, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
I don't think you have a choice but to call him up and get him some playing time. You gotta know if he's the real deal or not, and he needs to know what he needs to work on in winter ball.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #347: September 01, 2018, 04:56:56 PM »
that's what Cot's has.  Basically, if he's called up, then they plan on starting him in the majors next year.  They are not going to keep him down until near the end of May in 2019 to game his MLB service time.  If he's not called up and goes to the AFL instead, then they could do what they were doing this year - keep him down until near the end of April, let Taylor / Stevenson fail, then bring him up.  The reason it did not work out that way this year is because he was hurt in the minors.  Otherwise, Taylor doesn't get a chance to have his hot streak after April.

By the way, I think they've tipped their hand because he's not on the AFL roster like carter Kieboom is.

They did with Harper, Stras, and Rendon and that was the plan for Robles before he got hurt this year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #348: September 01, 2018, 06:04:48 PM »
They did with Harper, Stras, and Rendon and that was the plan for Robles before he got hurt this year.
not quite.  the plan for Robles was the end of April / early May, not end of may.  Half the time. There used to be a bigger incentive to keep a guy down until late May because of the Super 2 rules.  With the last contract, it is much tougher to avoid super 2 status. Rendon and Stras were manipulated to avoid super 2 status.  JZ was rewarded with an early call up for being a quick sign.  Harper was going to have service time manipulated, but he came up and made  super 2

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #349: September 02, 2018, 02:42:31 AM »
not quite.  the plan for Robles was the end of April / early May, not end of may.  Half the time. There used to be a bigger incentive to keep a guy down until late May because of the Super 2 rules.  With the last contract, it is much tougher to avoid super 2 status. Rendon and Stras were manipulated to avoid super 2 status.  JZ was rewarded with an early call up for being a quick sign.  Harper was going to have service time manipulated, but he came up and made  super 2

Harper will have played nearly seven complete seasons before becoming a free agent. That's the team goal with all top prospects. Players now get a fourth arb year but it's worth it for the extra service year.

For every day Robles plays this fall I expect that will be one more day before he comes up next May.