Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Victor Robles, OF  (Read 48104 times)

Offline natasaurus

Follow the Prospects: Victor Robles, OF
« Topic Start: June 26, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
Current team: GCL Nationals

Position: CF, Right-handed batter

Height: 6'0"

Weight:185

DOB: 5/19/1997

Signed in 2013 out of the Dominican Republic

Currently ranked by MLB.com as the #15 Nationals prospect

MLB.com:
Signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2013, Robles made his professional debut the next year in the Dominican Summer League. His performance and tools stood out in the league, leaving scouts optimistic about his considerable upside.

Robles is an excellent athlete and has impressive physical tools. He has an advanced approach at the plate and projects to be able to hit for average and power as he physically matures. He has well above-average speed and covers a lot of ground in the outfield. His strong arm will help him man a corner outfield position if he loses a step as he gets older, but he has a good chance to remain in center.

Robles understandably is still raw and learning to harness his physical ability. He's a long way away, but he already has given evaluators reason to be excited about the kind of player he could become.

Baseball America's Aaron Fitt said:
Really live-bodied guy with plus-plus arm strength and plus speed as well as a high baseball IQ. Obviously he's got a lot of development ahead of him, but sounds like a really exciting package.

BA's Ben Badler says:
Nationals have a good one in CF Victor Robles. Explosive athlete who hit well in extended spring, off to a great GCL start in US debut.

His results so far are living up to the hype. Hit .313/.408/.484 for an .891 OPS with 22 SB as a 17 year old in the DSL.

In 5 games for the GCL Nats, he's hitting .563/.632/.938 for a 1.569 OPS and 2 SB. Small sample size, but a really great start. Robles has the potential to shoot up top prospect lists this season. Could he be a top five talent in the Nats system by the end of the season?

Offline natasaurus

Re: Follow the Prospects: Victor Robles, OF
« Reply #1: June 27, 2015, 02:10:11 PM »
2-4 with a home run and a stolen base today.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: June 27, 2015, 11:22:28 PM »
@BenBadler from Baseball America:

Another home run and a stolen base today for Nationals CF Victor Robles in the GCL. That's gonna happen a lot. Jump on the bandwagon now.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #3: June 27, 2015, 11:45:59 PM »
I'm very intrigued by this kid. I will be following him.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: June 28, 2015, 08:29:26 AM »
All aboard the hype train?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #5: June 28, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »
Too short for CF. We've got a tools-y CF with better than big power and the un-teachable skill of height right now.
All aboard the hype train?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #6: June 28, 2015, 10:58:24 AM »
Has anything been said bout his upside?  Guys like badler are hyping him up, but what is his ceiling?

Offline madj55

« Reply #7: June 28, 2015, 12:00:45 PM »
Too short for CF. We've got a tools-y CF with better than big power and the un-teachable skill of height right now.
Is McCutchen too short for CF?

Offline RD

« Reply #8: June 28, 2015, 12:27:20 PM »
Has anything been said bout his upside?  Guys like badler are hyping him up, but what is his ceiling?

Hard to say since very few have seen much of him, so you won't get a true full scouting report. I do remember he was a guy we were excited about when he signed. He was touted as a 5 tool guy who could possibly play center. Just looking through stats from the DSL, the speed seems real with the extra base hits and steals. So does the hit tool. Being so young, the power is usually the last to come. But early returns are pretty good on that stateside. Definitely a name to watch.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #9: June 28, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »

From what I've read, he has average raw power, plus arm, enough range for CF, plus speed, plus bat speed, and an advanced approach at the plate. That last one really jumps out as something that is sometimes lacking in the Nats high-ceiling position prospects. We will be hearing a lot more about him soon, seeing as more scouts will get a chance to see him in the GCL.

Keith Law listed Robles as a sleeper to watch, saying: "Down the road a bit further, remember the name Victor Robles, the Nats' star prospect from their Dominican Summer League team last year; he's a center fielder who has 6s and 7s all over his scouting report, with a plus arm, above-average to plus run, excellent bat speed, and the kind of fast-twitch body scouts love."

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #10: June 30, 2015, 05:59:39 PM »
2-4 today, dropping his average to .520.  :D I'm sure the GCL pitchers will be relieved when Robles is promoted.

Offline blue911

« Reply #11: June 30, 2015, 06:03:25 PM »
2-4 today, dropping his average to .520.  :D I'm sure the GCL pitchers will be relieved when Robles is promoted.

I wouldn't count on him being promoted.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #12: July 01, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »
I wouldn't count on him being promoted.

Agree. Robles JUST turned 18 in May.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #13: July 03, 2015, 03:59:47 PM »
Robles is number 8 on Baseball America's Hot Sheet this week.

Team: Rookie-level GCL Nationals (Gulf Coast)
Why He’s Here: .389/.429/.833 (7-for-18), 4 R, 2 2B, 2 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: A standout in the Dominican Summer League last year, Robles jumped out to a fast start in the Gulf Coast League this year in his U.S. debut. He runs well, has present strength and has advanced pitch-recognition skills for his age, which is apparent from his league-leading 15 hits, 26 total bases and .541 on-base percentage.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #14: July 03, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »

Ah...teasing us now! Kirby Puckett did fine at 5 foot 8. Saw him once at Yankee Stadium...didn't care one way or the other about the Yankees; company had season tickets behind 3B. Great to remember.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #15: July 05, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »

:lol: while I'm on board with Taylor as a future CFer, saying Robles is too short is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a while. Span is the same height and considering the kid just turned 18, he could easily grow another couple of inches.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #16: July 06, 2015, 05:26:38 PM »
Mentioned in the Baseball Prospectus Top 50 chat.

Someone asks if there are any current GCL or short season players who are likely to make the top 101 after this season, and Jeff Moore replies, "Also a big fan of Nats OF Victor Robles. You'll be hearing a lot more about him soon, and with a little bit longer of a track record, he might have made the list."

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #17: July 14, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »
From Baseball Prospectus:

JoeRandom (San Jose): youngest player in the futures game next year?

Futures Game Chat: I will guess Nationals' Victor Robles.
He will have just turned 19.
The reports so far on him are strong. - Tucker Blair

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #18: July 19, 2015, 03:07:32 PM »
Promoted to Auburn! He's playing CF and leading off tonight. Hit .370 with 2 HRs and 12 SBs for GCL Nats.

@BenBadler: The Nationals are promoting 18-year-old CF Victor Robles to short-season Auburn. Their No. 6 prospect now, could be No. 1 soon.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #19: July 19, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »
Went 3-5 with a triple and 2 RBI in his Auburn debut.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #20: July 20, 2015, 11:22:54 AM »
Hagerstown next year with maybe a later promotion to Potomac? 

Offline RD

« Reply #21: July 20, 2015, 12:12:55 PM »
Hagerstown next year with maybe a later promotion to Potomac? 

If he holds his own in Auburn, I would assume so.

But I think it's probably a full year at Hagerstown unless he absolutely kills it. He just turned 18 2 months ago. It's probably better to keep it slow with him, given his age. Starting Potomac at 19 in 2017 is still very impressive.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #22: July 20, 2015, 12:25:34 PM »
Replaces Harper in 2019.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #23: July 21, 2015, 04:11:27 PM »
Comment From Dan
What’s the word on Victor Robles’ D and power potential? I’m wondering if he can be elite.

Kiley McDaniel: Talked to a scout that saw him recently and dropped a 60 overall grade on him. That scale is pretty close to my scale, so he’s at least a 50 FV, maybe better. Moving WAY up the list.

12:39    
Comment From Nico
What grades would you give Robles hit, power, and speed? I’ve heard a lot about his near-elite defense, but not much about his other tools…

12:40    
Kiley McDaniel: Lots of Robles questions. Here’s the whole report I wrote on him this offseason. Seriously, people, search the name of the minor league you’re interested in: odds are the report will be there

Robles is one of the most exciting players in the system and his only experience since signing for $225,000 on July 2, 2013, was this year in the DSL and a limited stint in instructs this fall. He’ll head to the GCL next year and could shoot up this list if the raw tools convert into performance, as he’ll be aged like 2015 draft high school players. He raked at age 17 in the DSL thanks to an advanced/patient approach, especially given his age and background, average raw power, and plus bat speed, foot speed and arm strength.
12:40    
Kiley McDaniel: And that report is here: http://www.fangraphs.com/bl

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniel-prospects-chat-72115/

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #24: July 22, 2015, 07:59:28 AM »
Comment From Dan
What’s the word on Victor Robles’ D and power potential? I’m wondering if he can be elite.
Kiley McDaniel: Talked to a scout that saw him recently and dropped a 60 overall grade on him. That scale is pretty close to my scale, so he’s at least a 50 FV, maybe better. Moving WAY up the list.

A 50 FV is in the 80-150 range for Kiley. A 55 is top-80. A 60 is top-30. For reference.

Given his age and approximate place on a top-100 list, sounds like he's the equivalent of a good mid-1st round HS draft pick in terms of current value? For example, Derek Hill was drafted 23rd in 2014 and Kiley ranked him 132nd with a 50 FV. Alex Jackson was drafted 6th in 2014 and Kiley ranked him 20th with a 60 FV. Sounds like Robles is somewhere in the middle.