Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Victor Robles, OF  (Read 48109 times)

Offline GNatsNoMore

Re: Follow the Prospects: Victor Robles, OF
« Reply #50: August 08, 2015, 10:30:41 PM »
That's really premature. He's doing very well in short season ball. But moving from short season to the bigs in 2 years? That's a lot to ask.

He just turned 18. They won't be that aggressive with him. If he hits Hagerstown this year (which is not certainty with just a month left in the season), he's still starting there again next year. Not Potomac. Hell be 18 to start the year with less than one full season in the states, with no experience as of yet in full season ball. Pushing him to Potomac to start next year is a stretch imo.

I agree.  Start him in Hagerstown next year, move him to Potomac when he's ready.  Then in 2017, he can play mostly in Harrisburg.  If he were on our opening day roster in 2018, he'd still only be 20.

I was in Auburn last night to see Robles.  His first at bat, he looked overmatched and struck out on the first three pitches of the game (swings and misses that weren't close).  Of course, the starter he faced was 3 years older, and had an ERA under 2.00 to start the game.  His next at bat, he dragged a but down the first base line that was a single because no one covered first.  His third AB he came up with the bases loaded and struck out. His fourth AB, he walked.  I missed his last AB, which was apparently an out, since I left at the end of the 8th inning.  What impressed me most about him was his arm.  He made strong throws to 2nd several times on deep hits to center.  On one ball that looked like an easy double coming off the bat, he fielded it cleanly around 10 feet from the wall in left center, and threw it into second. If the infielder had made a good play (scooped it up on the short hop), he could have tagged out the baserunner, since the throw arrived in plenty of time to get him.   Overall, he didn't stand out offensively as I expected him to, but it wasn't much of a sample size. 

Offline AR

« Reply #51: August 09, 2015, 08:13:55 PM »
Thanks for the update. If they are to promote him to HAG then they should do it asap. He had a great year and no point in finishing on a bad note should they promote him and if he would not have enough time to adjust. Would be good though to see what he could do in HAG but no way he starts the season in POT next year.

Online RD

« Reply #52: August 09, 2015, 09:33:18 PM »
Thanks for the update. If they are to promote him to HAG then they should do it asap. He had a great year and no point in finishing on a bad note should they promote him and if he would not have enough time to adjust. Would be good though to see what he could do in HAG but no way he starts the season in POT next year.

That's my reasoning behind my belief of keeping him at Auburn  - confidence.

Even if he hits a bit of a slump as the season ends, he knows hes done very well in SS ball. Feel a bit over matched in a short Hagerstown stint and maybe it shakes him a bit heading into the off season. I feel it's a lot better for younger guys, in this case an 18 year old in the states for the first time, to really take their time to build their confidence. There's a lot of time for him to develop before he needs to impact the big club. Take your time.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #53: August 09, 2015, 11:42:08 PM »

Even if he hits a bit of a slump as the season ends, he knows hes done very well in SS ball. Feel a bit over matched in a short Hagerstown stint and maybe it shakes him a bit heading into the off season. I feel it's a lot better for younger guys, in this case an 18 year old in the states for the first time, to really take their time to build their confidence. There's a lot of time for him to develop before he needs to impact the big club. Take your time.
Yeah plus there is a positional back up at CF in the lower levels. Bautista at Pot and Stevenson at Hag.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #54: August 10, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »

Agreed.  Don't rush him.  Don't make him adjust to another town/league now.  Let him stay in Auburn.  He is really young, and the 5-6 other Dominicans on the team have probably made his adjustment to the States a little easier.  He can build on his success next year, starting the year in Hagerstown.

MLB ETA: 4/18 (or maybe 9/17)

Offline blue911

« Reply #55: August 10, 2015, 11:55:13 AM »
He'll probably play in the Dominican Winter League.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #56: August 16, 2015, 11:04:20 PM »
.347/.411/.520 after 25 games, so slugging is down about .100  from his totals after 11 games, but avg. and obp are almost the same.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #58: August 19, 2015, 11:34:23 PM »
For those who missed the other thread, Kiley at FanGraphs has Victor Robles in the top 40 of all prospects. Second-biggest jump of any prospect this season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #59: August 19, 2015, 11:39:59 PM »
Who moved higher?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #60: August 19, 2015, 11:41:36 PM »
Who moved higher?
Some Astros pitcher who was a throw-in to the Jarred Cosart trade. I think he was a young Hispanic power arm. Lemme check.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #61: August 19, 2015, 11:42:43 PM »
Yeah, Francis Martes.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-post-trade-deadline-prospect-update/

Kiley's projected future value of Martes, on the scouting scale, went from a "35+" pitcher to a 55 pitcher. Victor Robles jumped from 40 to 55.

Offline Matugi

« Reply #62: August 20, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=27275

BP also has him as 55 FV.  That's ridiculous for a guy still in A-.  Realistic path would probably sit him at around 60-65 FV next year and 70+ the year after if he keeps progressing

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #63: August 20, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »

BP also has him as 55 FV.  That's ridiculous for a guy still in A-.  Realistic path would probably sit him at around 60-65 FV next year and 70+ the year after if he keeps progressing

... and 18 years old!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #64: August 20, 2015, 06:39:26 PM »

It's just as likely he regresses ...

Offline Matugi

« Reply #65: August 20, 2015, 08:43:03 PM »
It's just as likely he regresses ...

This is true.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #66: September 05, 2015, 08:44:38 PM »
Nice article that includes quotes from Robles and Doug Harris that I find really encouraging for his future.  Also, his goal is to be in the big leagues in 2 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2015/09/04/victor-robles-a-18-year-old-nationals-outfield-prospect-quickly-drawing-attention/

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #67: September 06, 2015, 07:46:56 AM »
He talks like a star in the making. Can't wait to see him continue to improve.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #68: September 06, 2015, 08:56:20 AM »
Did he go to the AFL?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #70: December 22, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »
http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/rapid-rise-victor-robles/

He’s got a two-strike approach where he chokes up on the bat a little bit and gets a little bit more down in his legs. He’s not real interested in striking out, so he wants to do everything he can to put the ball in play because he knows that if he puts the ball in play, he’s got a chance with that speed.

Offline monkeyhit

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #72: December 22, 2015, 08:02:37 PM »
Schu will fix him. :lol:

Who is ka-schu?

Rizzo mentioned that he and the rest of the staff looked carefully at the World Series. Three things I noticed:

- Royals did not strikeout as much as typical teams. Both regular season (about 15% - 16% compared to Nats and Mets at 22%) and especially in the WS. One of the Royals said, "I hate to strikeout".

- Royals had a strong bullpen but the starting pitchers were not magical. Each game seemed to change after the 6th or 78th inning.

- Royals could field.

Rizzo has added to the Nats bullpen. I hope Robles continues to choke up and make contact when he's got two strikes.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #73: December 23, 2015, 01:38:19 PM »
This will be a big year from him.  I expect his first year in full season ball to either catapult him into the top 15 on prospect rankings or knock him wayyyy down or even out of the top 100.  This will be the year we really see what we got.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #74: December 31, 2015, 11:09:01 AM »
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 22m

I ranked Victor Robles aggressively on my personal Top 100, kind of kicking myself for not putting him on there. @Nationals

Good stuff.

Also, some comedic gold from our friend Keith:

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 17m17 minutes ago

@jimcallisMLB @Nationals why do you hate the Nats, Jim