Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Victor Robles, OF  (Read 48142 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Victor Robles, OF
« Reply #125: July 01, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »
so our 2018 outfield is looking like Robles, Harper, and either MAT or Goodwin?  Not too shabby.

More like Harper, Turner, and Robles :D

Offline whytev

« Reply #126: July 01, 2016, 12:29:33 PM »
so our 2018 outfield is looking like Robles, Harper, and either MAT or Goodwin?  Not too shabby.

I'm guessing Robles, Harper, and a new acquisition.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #127: July 01, 2016, 01:55:57 PM »
No chance it's Goodwin.

I fully expect our LF post-Werth to be a generic big bopper who is either a short timer or signed to also replace Zimmerman when his contract runs out. Left field is the DH of the NL.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #128: July 04, 2016, 09:20:11 PM »

Stop gap for Robles/Stevenson - Robles/Stevenson - Harper

Offline Matugi

« Reply #129: July 07, 2016, 09:17:27 AM »
BP's #9 prospect.  He will be #1 some day considering he's so young.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #131: July 26, 2016, 10:23:55 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/victor-robles-plays-hard-enough-to-make-nationals-excited-and-nervous/2016/07/25/fb26bee8-528d-11e6-b7de-dfe509430c39_story.html?postshare=7971469479478675&tid=ss_tw

Luckily, that nasty HBP doesn't sound like it's that bad if he's already swinging 4 days later!

He still hasn't played, though.  I didn't even see him in the dugout for the doubleheader on Saturday, but could have just missed him.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #132: July 26, 2016, 10:43:14 PM »
He still hasn't played, though.  I didn't even see him in the dugout for the doubleheader on Saturday, but could have just missed him.

That article said he was taking BP, which is obviously a decent sign that he can still take cuts. I'd rather be cautious

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #133: August 05, 2016, 10:50:25 AM »
BA identified Robles as the best hitter, best defensive outfielder and most exciting player in the Sally.

Kelvin Gutierrez tagged as the best defensive third baseman.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/low-class-best-tools/

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #134: August 05, 2016, 11:00:56 AM »
Still out from the HBP. Haven't heard anything else on a timetable for return

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #135: August 08, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »
Robles is playing today in a GCL game, 1-3 with a HBP and a CS.

Offline whytev

« Reply #136: August 08, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »
Robles is playing today in a GCL game, 1-3 with a HBP and a CS.

Another HBP!?!? Does he think he is Danny Espinosa?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #137: August 15, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »
Back at Potomac. Another HBP last night. Elite.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #138: August 15, 2016, 12:59:22 PM »
Back at Potomac. Another HBP last night. Elite.

On the wrist, too.  He shook it around a good amount but stayed in and stole two bases - one on the first pitch, the second on a really well-executed delayed steal the next time around.  He needs to learn to turn the other way on those inside fastballs that are going to hit him: he turned right into the pitch, and he should count himself lucky that the guy was throwing mostly 88-90, not 95.  Did pretty well in CF despite losing a ball in the sun.  At the plate, there wasn't much to speak of.  Besides the HBP he had 2 walks (I think one was 4 pitches and the other 5), a bunt single to the 1B side, and a strikeout that shouldn't have counted (foul tip that hit the ground before the catcher gloved it). 

(Also, not last "night" - it was unfortunately a day game.)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #139: August 15, 2016, 01:18:40 PM »
On the wrist, too.  He shook it around a good amount but stayed in and stole two bases - one on the first pitch, the second on a really well-executed delayed steal the next time around.  He needs to learn to turn the other way on those inside fastballs that are going to hit him: he turned right into the pitch, and he should count himself lucky that the guy was throwing mostly 88-90, not 95.  Did pretty well in CF despite losing a ball in the sun.  At the plate, there wasn't much to speak of.  Besides the HBP he had 2 walks (I think one was 4 pitches and the other 5), a bunt single to the 1B side, and a strikeout that shouldn't have counted (foul tip that hit the ground before the catcher gloved it). 

Very nice. Sounds like you're getting to a fair amount P-Nat games, huh? I'm wondering if the injury is still hurting him, especially turning his wrists? Does he crowd the plate a ton? The videos I've seen he definitely does, but I'm wondering if that's changed after the injury?

There's not too much top talent in Potomac right now, but I wouldn't mind hearing more on guys like O. Abreu, Carey, Crownover, Keller, Schrock, etc... in the general minors thread!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #140: August 15, 2016, 01:33:33 PM »
Very nice. Sounds like you're getting to a fair amount P-Nat games, huh? I'm wondering if the injury is still hurting him, especially turning his wrists? Does he crowd the plate a ton? The videos I've seen he definitely does, but I'm wondering if that's changed after the injury?

There's not too much top talent in Potomac right now, but I wouldn't mind hearing more on guys like O. Abreu, Carey, Crownover, Keller, Schrock, etc... in the general minors thread!

I've been to maybe 4 since he and Schrock have been there, so not a huge number.  Went yesterday in Frederick because I had a Keys raincheck from earlier in the season and not many chances left to use it.  I might write a bit more if I have a chance, but vis a vis the 5 you listed, the basic story is that Abreu looks OK but doesn't stand out, same for Crownover the one time I saw him, Carey isn't hitting the center of the ball but is a good defender, Keller looks good and hits stuff hard, but the real question is whether he can play CF at least passably (where he won't get chances with the logjam at and above his level), and Schrock still looks locked in.  The most interesting thing yesterday was the starting pitcher.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #141: August 15, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »
For the Keys? J.D. Martin is a bum. I completely forgot that he was back in the system. Jon Keller's numbers look pretty good, though.

Abreu's numbers were pretty good last year, but he's been awful this season. Not surprising to hear, but I was hoping he still showed something. Alex Keller's is building on a good season last year too. You're right -- he's blocked in CF basically at every level, but it would be nice to see.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #142: August 15, 2016, 02:42:36 PM »
For the Keys? J.D. Martin is a bum. I completely forgot that he was back in the system. Jon Keller's numbers look pretty good, though.

Abreu's numbers were pretty good last year, but he's been awful this season. Not surprising to hear, but I was hoping he still showed something. Alex Keller's is building on a good season last year too. You're right -- he's blocked in CF basically at every level, but it would be nice to see.

He was: I remember those times all too well.  But he's throwing knuckleballs now, and they weren't bad at all. He just had some trouble getting them over early in the game.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #143: August 15, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »
He was: I remember those times all too well.  But he's throwing knuckleballs now, and they weren't bad. He just had some trouble getting them over early in the game.

No crap? I figured it was something. That's pretty interesting. He's 33 now in AA, so he's gonna need better results to stick around though.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #144: August 15, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
No crap? I figured it was something. That's pretty interesting. He's 33 now in AA, so he's gonna need better results to stick around though.

33 for a knuckleballer is 24 for anyone else.  He's clearly still getting the hang of it, so the results should improve. 

Offline imref

« Reply #145: January 26, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
#2 OF prospect according to MLB Pipeline, Top 3 defensive OF prospect per Jim Callis.  Callis and Jonathan Mayo predict he'll be the top prospect in baseball by 2018.

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2017/1/26/14399744/nationals-prospect-victor-robles-no-2-outfield-prospect-mlb-pipeline

Not to look past next year, but our 2018 OF, assuming Robles is ready to step into CF, could be astoundingly good.  We're building a nice new core with Robles and Turner going into the next few years.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #146: January 26, 2017, 08:32:03 PM »
#2 OF prospect according to MLB Pipeline, Top 3 defensive OF prospect per Jim Callis.  Callis and Jonathan Mayo predict he'll be the top prospect in baseball by 2018.

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2017/1/26/14399744/nationals-prospect-victor-robles-no-2-outfield-prospect-mlb-pipeline

Not to look past next year, but our 2018 OF, assuming Robles is ready to step into CF, could be astoundingly good.  We're building a nice new core with Robles and Turner going into the next few years.
Probably have to trade him for a closer though

Offline imref

« Reply #147: January 26, 2017, 09:30:59 PM »
Probably have to trade him for a closer though

Um..yeah..that's not happening.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #148: January 26, 2017, 10:27:13 PM »
Um..yeah..that's not happening.

Probably will. Rizzo has another one and done and he's out.

Offline imref

« Reply #149: March 13, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »
Fangraphs' latest:

8. Victor Robles, CF, Washington Nationals
Signed: July 2nd Period, 2013 from Dominican Republic
Age   20   Height   6’0   Weight   185   Bat/Throw   R/R

Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit   Raw Power   Game Power   Run   Fielding   Throw
40/70   40/50   30/45   70/60   45/55   70/70

Scouting Summary
One of the few true potential five-tool talents in the minors, Robles has advanced feel for all-fields contact and wreaks havoc on the bases while possessing the speed to play high-end defense in center field. That’s the skill set of a plus regular, and if he ever grows into game power (either with a mechanical adjustment or simply via physical maturity), he’s a potential perennial All-Star.