Author Topic: Washington Wizards 2015/16--Can we finally get past round 2?  (Read 32334 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

I went to college with a cat that played for the Colonels...Jim Bradley.  Big money back then was measured in 5 figures. 

In 1982, Bradley was found dead at age 29 in a Portland, Oregon, alley.  He had been shot in the back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bradley_(basketball)
That's pretty tragic. Can't say I remember him.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I went to college with a cat that played for the Colonels...Jim Bradley.  Big money back then was measured in 5 figures. 

In 1982, Bradley was found dead at age 29 in a Portland, Oregon, alley.  He had been shot in the back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bradley_(basketball)

Piggy backing on Natsinpwc's comment, there were a lot of hard cases in the ABA.   A few teams/guys made it out but a lot of 'em were shady or at a minimum ran with a bad crowd.

Offline mitlen

It'll be interesting to see which way the calls go from here on out.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Piggy backing on Natsinpwc's comment, there were a lot of hard cases in the ABA.   A few teams/guys made it out but a lot of 'em were shady or at a minimum ran with a bad crowd.

Yeah...Bradley came from East Chicago, Indiana, so he didn't exactly get a great start in life...

Offline mitlen

Who's this John Wall?    He's pretty good.

Offline Natsinpwc

Who's this John Wall?    He's pretty good.
Playing much better since I dropped him as my avatar. I guess he couldn't take the pressure.

Offline mitlen

Yeah...Bradley came from East Chicago, Indiana, so he didn't exactly get a great start in life...

The ABA gave an opportunity to guys who couldn't get into the NBA for whatever reason.   Guys like Bradley, Connie Hawkins, Erving, Haywood, etc.     A guy from my hometown, who from word on the street, blew a huge signing bonus on wayward activities.   He lasted a few years and played for 4 or 5 teams.    Another buddy of mine met him at a construction site in CO.   He was a laborer.

Offline Natsinpwc

Connie Hawkins vs Paul Simon on SNL.
Funny stuff.

https://vimeo.com/71713378

Offline mitlen

Connie Hawkins vs Paul Simon on SNL.
Funny stuff.

https://vimeo.com/71713378

Regardless of the cover story, I can understand why the NBA didn't want Hawkins in his prime.   He would have kicked their collective asses.

Offline mitlen

Big, big win  ...  just in time to switch to ESPN.

Offline Natsinpwc

Regardless of the cover story, I can understand why the NBA didn't want Hawkins in his prime.   He would have kicked their collective asses.
Wasn't it alleged gambling links? 

Offline mitlen

Wasn't it alleged gambling links? 

Shaving points allegations IIRC.    He got royally screwed in the process from beginning to end.   First time I saw him was with the Pittsburgh Pipers.

EDIT:    I may have first seen Hawkins in a "tournament" in the off season in the Pittsburgh area.   I think I did but I'm not sure.    :old:

Offline mitlen

Kobe's last DC appearance.

Offline Natsinpwc

last night's game is on replay at 11:30

Offline mitlen

last night's game is on replay at 11:30

Serious question.    Did you see Kobe play HS ball?

Offline Natsinpwc

Serious question.    Did you see Kobe play HS ball?
No. I was out of Philly in 88 so gone before his time.

Offline Natsinpwc

Pitiful.

Offline mitlen

Pitiful.

Really.    Beat the Cavs on the road and then  ...

Offline Natsinpwc

Really.    Beat the Cavs on the road and then  ...
Looks like they are trying to get their coach fired.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Honestly, I think the team knows that they're in a station keeping pattern until the front office signs Kevin Durant

Offline HalfSmokes

Honestly, I think the team knows that they're in a station keeping pattern until the front office signs Kevin Durant

Wall's mom crying after he gets booed at home will really encourage free agents to choose dc

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Wall's mom crying after he gets booed at home will really encourage free agents to choose dc
Durant is the only big name free agent I can think of that would come to a DC sports team for anything other than a big pay day

Offline mitlen

Hope she understands that many in the crowd, and probably many of the booers, were front running bandwagoning Lakers' fans who break out their purple/gold jerseys for the one time the Lakers play in DC every year.    Most of this group couldn't tell you who Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, etc. are.    Couldn't tell you that when the franchise was in Minneapolis their plane landed in a cornfield on a return trip from St. Louis.    They think history started when they got a cell phone.      :rant:

Thank you.   That is all.

Offline Natsinpwc

Hope she understands than many in the crowd and probably many of the booers were front running bandwagoning Lakers' fans who break out their purple/gold jerseys for the one time the Lakers play in DC every year.
My seats the last few years were behind the visitors bench. A haven for fans of the other team. It's terrible when people are cheering for teams that play in cities they have probably never visited. Or in the case of OKC that they could not even locate on a map.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Did they really boo Wall's bum ass off the court?