Author Topic: The Joe Ross Appreciation Thread  (Read 19867 times)

Offline aussienatsfan

Re: The Joe Ross Appreciation Thread
« Reply #150: July 02, 2016, 11:45:13 PM »
I'm sure hoping we can skip joe and make it work.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #151: July 02, 2016, 11:56:15 PM »
He'll be fine. He's our #5 SP. Just about every other team in the league would kill for a talented young 23 year old with a ~3.5 ERA as their #5 P.

This.  I didn't see him pitch tonight, but I like Ross, especially based on what I saw in person in his start on Monday against the Mets.  I know he gave up 4 runs in the first 3 innings, but I thought he showed some mental toughness, especially for a 23 year old, when he held them scoreless for the next 3 innings.  One of our  highly rated starting pitchers (begins with an "S") used to get destroyed by many on this board for being "soft" when he was about the same age. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #152: July 03, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »
He'll be fine. He's our #5 SP. Just about every other team in the league would kill for a talented young 23 year old with a ~3.5 ERA as their #5 P.

Good. Lets trade him to them for a quality reliever and first base prospect

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #153: July 03, 2016, 08:54:11 AM »
This.  I didn't see him pitch tonight, but I like Ross, especially based on what I saw in person in his start on Monday against the Mets.  I know he gave up 4 runs in the first 3 innings, but I thought he showed some mental toughness, especially for a 23 year old, when he held them scoreless for the next 3 innings.  One of our  highly rated starting pitchers (begins with an "S") used to get destroyed by many on this board for being "soft" when he was about the same age. 

Indeed, patience is needed. The kid has lots of upside. Good stuff, good command, great poise, but still needs to learn how to pitch at the mlb level. He is a perfect project for the bottom of the rotation.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #154: July 03, 2016, 08:55:02 AM »
Good. Lets trade him to them for a quality reliever and first base prospect

And replace him in the rotation with who?

Online Slateman

« Reply #155: July 03, 2016, 09:13:50 AM »

Voth

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #156: July 03, 2016, 09:23:34 AM »
Lorb tweeted that the Nats are looking into his velocity drop

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #157: July 03, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »
Lorb tweeted that the Nats are looking into his velocity drop

Joe sure didn't look the same, even forgetting about the velocity. His body language said something was wrong, maybe just his attitude or maybe his arm.  :icon_frown:

Online Slateman

« Reply #158: July 03, 2016, 10:36:11 AM »
Probably tired. This is more a reflection on Baker, but I don't like the way the pitching staff has been handled. Ross and Gio both look like they hit a wall. Strasburg is hurt and being rushed back.

We have Giolito up. Start him today, push Strasburg back to Ross's start, giving Ross some time off.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #159: July 03, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »
Probably tired. This is more a reflection on Baker, but I don't like the way the pitching staff has been handled. Ross and Gio both look like they hit a wall. Strasburg is hurt and being rushed back.

We have Giolito up. Start him today, push Strasburg back to Ross's start, giving Ross some time off.
Joe Ross is averaging the least inning and pitcher per start of our whole staff. The club has handled him with kid gloves. He averages right about 6 innings a start. If that is overuse for Joe Ross then he is not a major league starter.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #160: July 03, 2016, 10:50:04 AM »
Voth

Never seen him pitch so I trust the judgment of the team that Ross is the better option right now.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #161: July 03, 2016, 11:42:21 AM »
Ross was never supposed to be in the rotation in 2016.

July 2, 2016: Bronson Arroyo made his second rehab start with the Nationals’ Gulf Coast League affiliate today, allowing no earned runs and two walks while striking out three over five innings. The 39-year-old is making his way back from partial rotator cuff tendon tears, and he still hopes to return to the big leagues in 2016, as MLB.com’s Bill Ladson tweets. It would be quite a comeback for the vet, who hasn’t appeared in the Majors since pitching 86 innings with the Diamondbacks in 2014. 

Offline imref

« Reply #162: July 03, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
I'd guess they send Ross to the DL with a 'dead arm' and let Lucas have his next couple of starts.

Online Slateman

« Reply #163: July 03, 2016, 12:46:02 PM »
Joe Ross is averaging the least inning and pitcher per start of our whole staff. The club has handled him with kid gloves. He averages right about 6 innings a start. If that is overuse for Joe Ross then he is not a major league starter.
You're getting it. Look at his splits the second and third time through the order. He needs more than a nice fastball and a average slider. He's a right handed version of Ross Detwiler.

Online Slateman

« Reply #164: July 03, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
Never seen him pitch so I trust the judgment of the team that Ross is the better option right now.
The same judgement that brought us Papelbon and keeps rolling out Gio?

Offline whytev

« Reply #165: July 03, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »

Chelsea Janes wrote an article weeks ago about how Ross usually only throws 85-90 pitches, even when he's throwing well.

Offline whytev

« Reply #166: July 03, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »
You're getting it. Look at his splits the second and third time through the order. He needs more than a nice fastball and a average slider. He's a right handed version of Ross Detwiler.

Which might make him a good reliever.  Possibly next year.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #167: July 03, 2016, 01:53:02 PM »
Which might make him a good reliever.  Possibly next year.

Again, replaced with who? If the Nats sign another SP this offseason, okay, but otherwise, you're going with an unknown

Online Slateman

« Reply #168: July 03, 2016, 02:01:52 PM »
Again, replaced with who? If the Nats sign another SP this offseason, okay, but otherwise, you're going with an unknown
Giolito

Offline imref

« Reply #169: July 03, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »
I'd guess they send Ross to the DL with a 'dead arm' and let Lucas have his next couple of starts.

I was close. 15 day DL with shoulder inflammation.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #170: July 03, 2016, 02:30:58 PM »
Giolito

Max/Stras/Roark/Giolito. You want to keep Gio around too?

Online Slateman

« Reply #171: July 03, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »
Max/Stras/Roark/Giolito. You want to keep Gio around too?
I don't, but Rizzo clearly does. If it's a choice between Gio and Ross, I'll take Ross, but both are performing at number 5 levels.

Offline whytev

« Reply #172: July 03, 2016, 02:59:40 PM »
I don't, but Rizzo clearly does. If it's a choice between Gio and Ross, I'll take Ross, but both are performing at number 5 levels.

If Gio has to stay he might as well stay. Ross in the 'pen might be great.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #174: July 03, 2016, 06:37:26 PM »
Ross was never supposed to be in the rotation in 2016.

(Image removed from quote.)
July 2, 2016: Bronson Arroyo made his second rehab start with the Nationals’ Gulf Coast League affiliate today, allowing no earned runs and two walks while striking out three over five innings. The 39-year-old is making his way back from partial rotator cuff tendon tears, and he still hopes to return to the big leagues in 2016, as MLB.com’s Bill Ladson tweets. It would be quite a comeback for the vet, who hasn’t appeared in the Majors since pitching 86 innings with the Diamondbacks in 2014. 

I don't have a problem with a veteran like Arroyo if he's healthy and can be effective. I just don't like the infatuation with the next great pitching prospect whoever that maybe (except Giolitio, of course.) You gotta let young pitchers learn to pitch at this level.