Author Topic: The Joe Ross Appreciation Thread  (Read 19738 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: The Joe Ross Appreciation Thread
« Reply #50: June 22, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »
So we're in violent agreement? :D
I don't even necessarily think that's conservative -- he doesn't have a spot in the rotation; go down and face quality competition, while getting innings. If there's still a bullpen need in September, he'll can fill in then (along with Cole). No point in stunting a starters development in the bullpen (imo).

Offline Ray D

« Reply #51: June 22, 2015, 09:58:38 AM »
At this point though, he's better than a good Strasburg

The discussion is getting out of hand when one can say that Ross (or virtually anyone) is better than a GOOD Strasburg.  Please, people, try to remember how good a GOOD Strasburg is.  Trouble is we haven't seen the good Strasburg this season.

How good Joe Ross can be cannot be evalauted until he's had at least 8 starts.  (8 is arbitrary, maybe 6, maybe 10.  And I'll go with 10. I have seen a number  of pitchers in my time who were the next Sandy Koufax, until they had 10 starts and were never heard from again.)

Yeah, Ross is pitching better than Strasburg right now.   But Strasburg is a proven #1 and I strongly suspect that he will be a much bigger factor in our success this season than Joe Ross.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #52: June 22, 2015, 10:50:28 AM »
To put Stras in context, his ERAs over his first five seasons are better than Scherzer's.

The discussion is getting out of hand when one can say that Ross (or virtually anyone) is better than a GOOD Strasburg.  Please, people, try to remember how good a GOOD Strasburg is.  Trouble is we haven't seen the good Strasburg this season.

How good Joe Ross can be cannot be evalauted until he's had at least 8 starts.  (8 is arbitrary, maybe 6, maybe 10.  And I'll go with 10. I have seen a number  of pitchers in my time who were the next Sandy Koufax, until they had 10 starts and were never heard from again.)

Yeah, Ross is pitching better than Strasburg right now.   But Strasburg is a proven #1 and I strongly suspect that he will be a much bigger factor in our success this season than Joe Ross.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #53: June 22, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
PC, you still feel this way? 

This is why Ross should have been sent back down. He's nowhere near ready for a good major league team.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #54: June 22, 2015, 12:00:14 PM »

I'd even settle for three good quality starts before we start the "RIZZO IS GOD AT TRADES" nonsense.  It was a GREAT start but it was one start. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: June 22, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »
I'd even settle for three good quality starts before we start the "RIZZO IS GOD AT TRADES" nonsense.  It was a GREAT start but it was one start. 

Souza for turner alone is looking like a steal, toss in Ross and you have to wonder what the Rays and Padres were thinking letting the nats sneak into that deal

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #56: June 22, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »
Souza for turner alone is looking like a steal, toss in Ross and you have to wonder what the Rays and Padres were thinking letting the nats sneak into that deal

Has Turner had 100 PA yet in the majors?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #57: June 22, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »
Has Turner had 100 PA yet in the majors?

It's premature to say it's a steal, but time will tell.  Certainly Trea's showing he has great ability.

Souza's looking like a solid major leaguer at this point too.  Rob Deer wouldn't be the worst (offensive) comparable.

Offline madj55

« Reply #58: June 22, 2015, 03:19:14 PM »
*Two great starts

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #59: June 23, 2015, 09:00:30 AM »
*Two great starts

Three dominate starts out of six and I'll order a Joe Ross shirzey.  Right now, however, he had one good start and another great start but with Stressburg the crybaby coming back we'll have to wait and see how Joe Ross shakes out.

It's premature to say it's a steal, but time will tell.  Certainly Trea's showing he has great ability.

There's got to be a reason the Padres gave up on Turner.  Their current ownership group are certified idiots and all it seems like a really dumb move to give up on a guy you just drafted to get a former ROY bust.  Doesn't Turner also project out to be a speedy slaphitting defensive SS and not a "power hitter" like Desmond?  I'm all for fleecing the Padres but let's not go overboard just yet.

Offline whytev

« Reply #60: June 23, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
Worth noting: He got sent to AAA not AA. He earned a promotion.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #61: June 23, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
So, lock it up until Stras goes back on the DL?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #62: June 24, 2015, 11:20:30 AM »
Ross is Boss talk goes in the Joe Ross FTP thread in the Farm until he is called back up.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #63: July 21, 2015, 09:10:05 PM »
Ross is Boss talk goes in the Joe Ross FTP thread in the Farm until he is called back up.
Ross is boss!
2 earned runs should be charged to Aaron Barrett, whose own ERA is now 4.50.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #64: July 21, 2015, 09:10:58 PM »
Stud

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #65: July 21, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
Lookin' forward to a few years of Joe.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #66: July 21, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
If Fister continues to pitch badly, bring up Ross and let Fister take a seat in the bullpen. That doesn't fix the bullpen, but it gets Ross some starts with the Nats.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #67: July 22, 2015, 12:01:55 AM »
If Fister continues to pitch badly, bring up Ross and let Fister take a seat in the bullpen. That doesn't fix the bullpen, but it gets Ross some starts with the Nats.

agreed but this organization won't do it

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68: July 22, 2015, 09:07:11 AM »
agreed but this organization won't do it
No, but perhaps a gutsy move would be to sell Fister at the trade deadline to an  AL contender for either immediate bullpen help or for a prospect.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #69: July 22, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »
so how is Preller still employed? Trades away top prospects to win now, and the padres are doing anything but

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: July 22, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »
so how is Preller still employed? Trades away top prospects to win now, and the padres are doing anything but
he should be able to get some value back if he sells Justin Upton at the deadline and a few of the other vets.  It was a squander, but my guess is he lasts more than a year.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #71: July 22, 2015, 09:29:53 AM »
he should be able to get some value back if he sells Justin Upton at the deadline and a few of the other vets.  It was a squander, but my guess is he lasts more than a year.

he'll last longer than that, but I think he'll take RAJ's place as the worst GM in baseball next year

Offline Optics

« Reply #72: July 22, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »
Can't wait to see him full time next year. He's going to be a beast. Bold prediction: Ross wins NL ROTY next year.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #73: July 22, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
Joe Ross is on a 150ish inning limit this year. Don't remember if I heard that from TV crew or radio, but that does give Fister some job security this season.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #74: July 22, 2015, 11:10:10 AM »
Can't wait to see him full time next year. He's going to be a beast. Bold prediction: Ross wins NL ROTY next year.
If he pitches 24 more innings this year, he will not be eligible for ROTY.

Bold prediction: Turner wins NL ROTY next year.