Author Topic: If the Nationals buy at the deadline, who do we want to acquire?  (Read 42311 times)

Offline whytev

The more I think about it the more I think this is a negative. I think Rizzo is willing to retool next year and perhaps shoot for the Wild Card. 89, 90 or so wins. 2016 means nothing, 2017 however will be a big comeback year. If Chapman had 3 years, then it'd be a selling point.

Sorry, but no.

2016 is still good.  There's no reset button until our post-Bryce years.

Offline aBaltoNat

Sorry, but no.

Agree with your premise.

Team still needs some work though....

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
The only prospects the Nats have are:

- Difo
- Giolito
- Trea Turner
- Joe Ross
- Nick Pivetta (?)
- Reynaldo Lopez (?)

Look through the rest of the minors. The organization is full of 29 year old guys who were tried in the majors and failed. Renda was the next player closest to being a prospect, and he wasn't. Carpenter / Renda is a no-lose for both teams...Carpenter has pitched poorly and Renda is a long way from being the next Robbie Cano.

Maybe Desmond for Clippard: two rentals, though, and I doubt Billy Beane will bother renting Desmond. He's rebuilding.

Not good.

trade for tulowitzki.  :mg:

Offline blue911

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'd be asking for a hell of a lot more than a 35 year old platoon player and a contract year reliever for a legit #1 starter with a year left and a great young SS.

I think we can get BOTH Zobrist and Clippard for a pitching prospect like Eric Fedde and a B level prospect like Brian Goodwin.

I'm sorry, who is this legit #1 and great young SS you speak of?

Offline Slateman

Forget Chapman, we need Todd Frazier

Offline Expos

I'm sorry, who is this legit #1 and great young SS you speak of?

I take it you didn't watch baseball last year??

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
We should try an grab Venable from the Padres and Gomes from the Braves as well to shore up our LF/bench.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
Sorry, but no.

2016 is definitely still good, but is it "105 wins" good? Rizzo's not gonna hit the reset button but if he retools and turns the Nats into a Wild Card team (88-92 wins, which could still win the division) that is set up to be much stronger, say, a World Series contender again in 2017-2019, I think he'll do it.

All of our prospects won't be ready until about 2017. They're supposed to plug all of the impending free agent holes. The only way to plug them for 2016 is to splurge on free agents.

And I don't think there are going to be "post-Bryce years." If we don't win a WS and we let Bryce go, enthusiasm for baseball in this town is going down the pipes. That would be like, 2006 level of resetting. We've got two long term signings, Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmermann. I don't think Stras is getting a big contract from us unless he has a big second half + next year, though I have this weird hunch that Boras and the Nats have already worked out an agreement for the 2012 benching thing. So that leaves Stras and Rendon as stars, why not break the bank for both of them?

Offline Matugi

Forget Chapman, we need Todd Frazier

Of the moveable pieces the Reds have, Frazier is the one that isn't moving.  Bryce, Votto, Chapman, Cueto are all fair game.

Offline Mattionals

Chapman for Reynaldo Lopez and Ward. Rivero, Solis, and Goodwin for Lind and KRod.

Offline welch

Chapman for Reynaldo Lopez and Ward. Rivero, Solis, and Goodwin for Lind and KRod.

I don't think Reds and Brewers will agree. Lopez seems lost; Ward has always been lost. Rivero gets hammered in MLB, Solis might be hurt (but might be worth something), and Goodwin seems on his way out of professional baseball.

Maybe Solis, Lopez, and somebody for dear old Tyler Clippard. Oakland using him as a closer, but they don't have many 9th inning leads to protect. If Solis and Lopez have potential, ask to rent Zobrist.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I don't think Reds and Brewers will agree. Lopez seems lost; Ward has always been lost.
Well, Andrew Miller cost the Os Eduardo Rodriguez last year.  Lopez this year was similarly regarded as Rodriguez was going into last year.  Rodriguez had a bad year in the minors for the Os until the time of the trade.  Seems pretty similar, except Chapman has an extra year of control, thus it would cost slightly more.

On the other hand, Lopez for Clippard would be an overpay, given his increase in BBs and drop in Ks.

Offline expofan

how about trading for Athletics  josh reddick + Clip for Joe ross or MAT  + 2nd tier prospect? Reddick will be free agent soon and  Athletics always looking for cheaper controllable talent.

Alternatively( if we can't do the josh reddick trade), it seems that jayson werth days as a highly productive everyday player is coming to an end. So, how about a trade of Ryan braun for Jayson werth. Both have ridiculously crazy contracts. But Ryan is younger and could be more productive with change of scenery. Brewers may be willing to trade 5 years of Ryan for 2 years of werth. Nationals are win now team and could use Ryan's potent bat in the middle of the line up. He is not my first choice but it is a way to get rid of jayson weth's contract and substitute it with something of value.

Offline whytev

how about trading for Athletics  josh reddick + Clip for Joe ross or MAT  + 2nd tier prospect? Reddick will be free agent soon and  Athletics always looking for cheaper controllable talent.

Alternatively( if we can't do the josh reddick trade), it seems that jayson werth days as a highly productive everyday player is coming to an end. So, how about a trade of Ryan braun for Jayson werth. Both have ridiculously crazy contracts. But Ryan is younger and could be more productive with change of scenery. Brewers may be willing to trade 5 years of Ryan for 2 years of werth. Nationals are win now team and could use Ryan's potent bat in the middle of the line up. He is not my first choice but it is a way to get rid of jayson weth's contract and substitute it with something of value.

Werth has a NTC.

Offline welch

Joe Ross stays. Ross or Roark should start before Strassburg. I know it can't happen that way, and Strassburg has potential etc.

Lopez for Clippard and Zobrist? Goodwin is hitting about .215 in AA...going backward. Difo and Turner look like the only position players in the system, considering Michael Taylor as having arrived and not going back to the minors. Maybe a catcher?

Offline whytev

Joe Ross stays. Ross or Roark should start before Strassburg. I know it can't happen that way, and Strassburg has potential etc.

Lopez for Clippard and Zobrist? Goodwin is hitting about .215 in AA...going backward. Difo and Turner look like the only position players in the system, considering Michael Taylor as having arrived and not going back to the minors. Maybe a catcher?

Good thinking. We have 3 solid catcher prospects, and probably could get by with 2.

I want Strasburg in the pen. I want it so bad.

Offline Slateman

I take it you didn't watch baseball last year??

Last year was last year. Desmond is broke and if it were a double blind test, Strasburg aould be the 7th or 8th best SP.

Offline Slateman

Good thinking. We have 3 solid catcher prospects, and probably could get by with 2.

I want Strasburg in the pen. I want it so bad.

I don't see how Strasburg works in the pen. He's already a head case.

Offline Expos

Last year was last year. Desmond is broke and if it were a double blind test, Strasburg aould be the 7th or 8th best SP.

I think you need a reminder of how truly great he was last year. Its a shame you guys hate on this guy. He has elite tools.

http://www.si.com/fantasy/2015/03/16/fantasy-baseball-preview-stephen-strasburg-clayton-kershaw

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
I think you need a reminder of how truly great he was last year. Its a shame you guys hate on this guy. He has elite tools.

http://www.si.com/fantasy/2015/03/16/fantasy-baseball-preview-stephen-strasburg-clayton-kershaw

http://www.ssff.net

Seriously, you're not even trying to hide it anymore are you?

Offline Slateman

And a ten cent head