Author Topic: If the Nationals buy at the deadline, who do we want to acquire?  (Read 42309 times)

Offline UMDNats

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Mikey Morse traded to Pittsburgh for Jose Tabata.

Oh good.    We get to see Tabata more often.    :)

Offline blue911

The Mets would have been better with Carlos Gomez.

Offline aussienatsfan

So, i just woke up assume we did nothing?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
So, i just woke up assume we did nothing?

The Nats signed the best reliever to move. You must have been a sleep for a long time.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
freak all this nag ass hand wringing about not making any more moves. Lace them up and go to battle with what we've got! On the final day of the season the Nats will be atop the NL East and any chicken little's who doubt it are welcome to accept my wager of loss of posting privileges! :judge: :whip:

Offline slhubic

JJJ   AAA   YYY   SSS   !!!!!!!

("Jays", as in 'Blue Jays')   !!!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
freak all this nag ass hand wringing about not making any more moves. Lace them up and go to battle with what we've got! On the final day of the season the Nats will be atop the NL East and any chicken little's who doubt it are welcome to accept my wager of loss of posting privileges! :judge: :whip:

Battle?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Damnit spidey, you may have brought a tear to my eye with that post!

:clap:

Offline Count Walewski

I knew the Nats would do nothing when, with 1:30 before the deadline, Dan Kolko tweeted "hey nats fans don't forget you can still do a waiver deal after the deadline".

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Damnit spidey, you may have brought a tear to my eye with that post!

:clap:

:shock: wait,

Offline Slateman

CAPPS AND PRADO, YOU DOUCHENRIZZO

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
Hope we pick up another Thornton, waiver guy, we could use one more solid righty if Carpenter doesn't come back strong.

Online HalfSmokes

Yep, totally didn't need a bat

Offline Monarch

And the one we were rumored to be interested in (allegedly) will be facing us tomorrow.

Offline BigMeech

Rizzo once again fails to improve our lineup.

Offline Mattionals

I'm ready for the offseason acquisition thread.

Chapman and Wieters.

Offline Slateman

Puig to the Nats confirmed /s

Online Five Banners

Passan:
Washington Nationals -- In a market saturated with closers, the Nationals traded for one who is kind of crazy and bumped their effective, should’ve-been-an-All-Star closer to the eighth inning while doing nothing to supplement their position-playing depth problems.
Verdict: Outdone by the Mets? Ugh.

Position player depth problems?  How about actual position player problems. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Danny Valencia got dfa'd today. He'd be a solid bench guy.

Offline whytev

Danny Valencia got dfa'd today. He'd be a solid bench guy.

He's the rich man's Frandsen. I say get him and DFA Moore.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
Position player depth problems?  How about actual position player problems.

Agreed...I'm getting tired of hearing how Rizzo was supposed to get a bat. Guys, the defensive alignment is LF Werth CF Taylor RF Harper 1B Zim 2B Tony SS Desi 3B Yuni, like it's supposed to be. The only missing regular is Denard Span, who may be questionably less valuable than Taylor if you want to count power, defense (Taylor leads the majors in OF UZR or one of those metrics) and his intriguing BA w/ RISP. If you hate Desi so much, bench him, we got Espi, we didn't need to trade to replace Espi's league best defense and solid hitting+excellent speed.

These are our guys. If you don't like them then that's a problem from the ground up, not something that was ever going to be solved on July 31st. Gripe that Rizzo signed Werth and Zim to the deals they got, gripe that we picked Rendon with that draft pick when he may or may not be made out of glass, gripe that we got a solid contact high BA 3B with middling defense instead of an MVP like Donaldson. This is the lineup Rizzo built, for better or for worse, and we gotta ride with that and hope they do well because that wasn't going to change yesterday.

The hope is that none of these guys get injured so we don't NEED any more depth, Yoenis Cespedes or Ben Zobrist were never going to solve our offensive woes compared to Danny Espinosa, Clint Robinson and Michael Taylor. They're not good enough to carry with Harper this team if Zim, Werth and Rendon can't get it together. They're also defensively inferior, unless you were going to bench Werth's albatross contract.

Offline Slateman

Lol, Span is heads and shoulders more valuable than Taylor this season.