Author Topic: Split-Season?  (Read 787 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Split-Season?
« Topic Start: May 29, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »
Ken Rosenthal pitches the idea of baseball having a split season.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dgKwM

* The AL and NL teams with the best overall records in each half would qualify for at least the wild-card game.

* The division winners after 162 games would qualify for the Division Series.

* If either wild-card qualifier won its division, the team with the next-best record over 162 games would go to the wild-card game.

The All-Star Game would take place at the halfway point. Baseball, at the one time of year when it stands nearly alone on the sporting landscape, could provide a white-hot pennant race instead of simply a gussied-up exhibition.

I actually like the idea of a split season but this seems too complicated. In the Carolina League winners of each half season play each other.  If a team wins both halves, then the team in the division with the next best record qualifies.  It's easy to do it that way when there are only 4 divisions, but with 6 divisions it definitely gets more complicated.

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
Re: Split-Season?
« Reply #1: May 29, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »
Not a fan of the proposed solution, but I totally get-it why, if I'm an owner, this kind of thing would be on my radar. I've long opined that MLB leaves money on the table during the second half of the season.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2: May 30, 2015, 12:56:45 PM »
I'd like to see how playoffs would have formed over the past 10 years and if there was any impact at all.  Definately can see how some teams attendance drop off in August/September and that could be an issue worth addressing

Not a fan of the proposed solution, but I totally get-it why, if I'm an owner, this kind of thing would be on my radar. I've long opined that MLB leaves money on the table during the second half of the season.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #3: May 30, 2015, 01:25:28 PM »
Dumb idea, in addition to letting in weak teams that over-achieve in garbage time during the second half it can't be scheduled fairly.  Getting rid of inter league play means returning to an unbalanced division of teams. What if DC has an unusual number of rain outs in April and May, they'd have to be rescheduled for June or would the make up games in the second half count towards the standings for the first half? How are they going to have all 30 teams have played exactly 81 games by the All Star Break? They'd have to do 80 and 82 games so that each team has an equal number of home games. Plus this removes incentive for teams to play their way into the playoffs in September if they've already clinched.

The best idea for improving the baseball schedule is to revamp the wildcard, division, and LCS rounds of the playoffs.  There should be six division winners and six wild card teams, the six teams in each league would each play 15 games in 19 days (five 3 game series), with home field advantage awarded based on regular season standings.  This adds tons of profits to MLB due to all of the additional post season games, forces teams to use at least four starters in the playoffs, and eliminates the one and done wildcards that suck for teams that spent six months qualifying for the playoffs. The two teams with the best records after 15 games meet in the World Series.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #4: June 01, 2015, 01:25:54 PM »
I recall this being advocated by some (including the Padres' then-GM) following the 1981 strike and one-time split-season...and I also recall just about everyone rising as one to say 'DON'T YOU DARE!'