Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 75381 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/max-scherzer-is-mastering-the-near-miss/

An interesting comment came from a non-Nats fan, who wondered whether this might end up being a contract that out-earns its costs given his performance.  The article does some comparisons to Sale and Kershaw, and cuts up the Tabata game. 

Offline Optics

He's the best athlete in town and is absolute must watch at the moment.

He should start the ASG but it would be on slightly short rest and he just went 8 IP. We'll see...

Offline Natsinpwc

He's the best athlete in town and is absolute must watch at the moment.

He should start the ASG but it would be on slightly short rest and he just went 8 IP. We'll see...
Starter per the Fox Sports ticker.

Offline Ray D

Yeah, Nats should have juggled the rotation so that he would have pitched Sunday.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
https://thesportstank.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/max-scherzer-is-the-best-pitcher-in-baseball/

Enjoyed this article though I still think Kershaw is the better pitcher overall.  Either way, it's a two man conversation for best pitcher in the game and I'm glad that one of them is on our side.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://thesportstank.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/max-scherzer-is-the-best-pitcher-in-baseball/

Enjoyed this article though I still think Kershaw is the better pitcher overall.  Either way, it's a two man conversation for best pitcher in the game and I'm glad that one of them is on our side.
Chris Sale says hi. What a freak.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Yeah. Given what he's doing in the AL East, I have to tip my cap to him this season.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Almost said apologies to Chris Sale in my initial reply.  It's not an opinion I would totally disrespect but most people seem to think it's Kershaw or Scherzer.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Way I look at is Max is clearly the best righty, then the arguments are Kershaw/ Sale as the best lefty, or Max /Kershaw as best in the NL.

Somewhere, TribeTime is probably saying "KLUBER!"

Offline Optics

Was fun watching him grunt through that first inning like a female tennis player. I think he was putting on a show for the mic though, but man was he dominant.

Please pitch like that in October Max...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Was fun watching him grunt through that first inning like a female tennis player. I think he was putting on a show for the mic though, but man was he dominant.

If he was mic'd then he wouldn't really have to put on a show since we can usually hear him grunt when he isn't mic'd.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

He could be our closer.  Although I guess that creates another problem.

Offline Optics

If he was mic'd then he wouldn't really have to put on a show since we can usually hear him grunt when he isn't mic'd.

Yeah, but not after EVERY pitch.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
So, which Scherzer year was better, 2016 or 2017? 

Going into his Sunday start v. the Mets, he has identical fWAR (5.6), so the seasons are more similar than you might think. 

2016 - better record (20-7 v. 15-6 with 2 starts left), more innings (228.1 v. 197.1, counting today), more Ks (284 v. 263 with 1 start left), slightly better K/BB ratio (5.07 v 4.77 going into today).

2017 - better ERA / FIP (2.55/2.93 v. 2.96 / 3.24), lower HR/9 ( 1.00 v. 1.22) and HR/FB, slightly better K-BB% (26.8% v. 25.3%, not including today), better WHIP (.91 v .97, before today), and his best ERA relative to the league (ERA-) ever.

Offline 3bside

It's going to be razor thin for the Cy this year.  Kershaw has the edge in ERA and W/L, while Max has innings and strikeouts.  Both have the same WHIP. 

Offline DPMOmaha

Max has been healthier. Gonna have four more starts than Kershaw. That would be the differentiation to me, I think.

Offline Ray D

So, which Scherzer year was better, 2016 or 2017? 

Going into his Sunday start v. the Mets, he has identical fWAR (5.6), so the seasons are more similar than you might think. 

2016 - better record (20-7 v. 15-6 with 2 starts left), more innings (228.1 v. 197.1, counting today), more Ks (284 v. 263 with 1 start left), slightly better K/BB ratio (5.07 v 4.77 going into today).

2017 - better ERA / FIP (2.55/2.93 v. 2.96 / 3.24), lower HR/9 ( 1.00 v. 1.22) and HR/FB, slightly better K-BB% (26.8% v. 25.3%, not including today), better WHIP (.91 v .97, before today), and his best ERA relative to the league (ERA-) ever.

First three things I always look at are ERA, WHIP, and K/BB.  (Fourth, hr/9.)   So for me, this year is better.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Another Cy Young

Offline Optics

Back to back Cy Youngs.

Two no hitters.

Now just needs a World Series to cement his status as a DC legend(not that he already isn't).

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Max   :clap:

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Wow... attaboy Max Scherzer.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Bargain

:money:
I stand by this post on page 1 of this thread.

I expected a good pitcher, but I thought I thought there was no chance he would reach the value of his contract. Going into 2015 the value of 1 WAR for a pitcher was a bit under $10 mil.

By that metric, Scherze is on pace to quite literally be a huge bargain. He already has 18 fWAR in only three years. Even if he falls apart and only averages 2 WAR these next four years, he outperforms his contract with room to spare.

Great signing. Will be first Hall of Famer to have been a Nat in his prime. Hope we accomplish enough he also is first HOFer to wear a :w: hat.

Offline NatNasty

Hail Maximus!  :clap:

Back to back Cy Youngs.

Two no hitters.

Now just needs a World Series to cement his status as a DC legend(not that he already isn't).

One of those should've been a perfect game.  Fng Tabata.