Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 75439 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Thanks for the birthday gift, Max :clap:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

Happy Birthday!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Happy Birthday. Let me know next year and I'll take you to a game. You incredible bastard.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
He's underpaid

Happy birthday Nathan!

Offline Optics

It feels good to finally pay big bucks for an athlete and have them actually OVER-perform it.

Offline DPMOmaha

It's still early.

Offline NatsGirl

I mean it's crazy to think what he did today and last start.  And if it wasn't for that douche Tabata, he probably could've pulled off the perfect game in under 100 pitches. 

I gotta go to a game he's pitching at. 

It feels good to finally pay big bucks for an athlete and have them actually OVER-perform it.

Its too early to tell. 210mill is a lot of money

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
in another dozen years, we'll be saying, "woah, we are still paying Scherzer $15MM?" but for now it feels great.

Offline imref

Fangraphs:

Scherzer now has a distinct place in the discussion of historic pitching performances. We should make sure to put the emphasis on the plural of the word performance, because Scherzer just put together arguably the best back-to-back outings by a starting pitcher since at least 1914. His final combined line for his starts on June 14th and 20th:

18.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 26 K

Scherzer faced 57 batters over his two starts: he struck out just under 46% of them. To put that in context, he had a better strikeout rate over the entirety of two consecutive complete games than Aroldis Chapman, Craig Kimbrel, or Dellin Betances have in their relief appearances this season. By the numbers, he was more or less the equivalent of facing the best closer in baseball on a particularly dominant day for two entire games.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
LOL

That's just crazy talk ...

:worship:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Max Scherzer's batting average is .200. Opponents are hitting .198 against him.

Stop bashing him, he's doing better now, 242 vs. 176 now.   

:shock:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Scherzer is our savior

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
The best thing to come from Detroit since the MC5

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Fangraphs:

Scherzer now has a distinct place in the discussion of historic pitching performances. We should make sure to put the emphasis on the plural of the word performance, because Scherzer just put together arguably the best back-to-back outings by a starting pitcher since at least 1914. His final combined line for his starts on June 14th and 20th:

18.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 26 K

Scherzer faced 57 batters over his two starts: he struck out just under 46% of them. To put that in context, he had a better strikeout rate over the entirety of two consecutive complete games than Aroldis Chapman, Craig Kimbrel, or Dellin Betances have in their relief appearances this season. By the numbers, he was more or less the equivalent of facing the best closer in baseball on a particularly dominant day for two entire games.

Sometime back there -- about 1910? -- Walter Johnson shut out the Highlanders / Yankees in three consecutive games. That's games...not starts. Shut them out on a Friday, then Saturday; had Sunday off because the "blue laws" forbid baseball on Sundays; came back well rested and shut them out on Monday.

Scherzer is beginning to look like a modern equivalent of Walter Johnson. (Note: Johnson said that his best game was about 1926, when he was 39. If Max keeps pitching like this until he's 38, I'll be happy enough!!!)

Offline imref

Doug Gottlieb @GottliebShow
#Scherzer is pitching so well the #Nats are thinking about shutting him down in the playoffs

:?

Offline NatsGirl

Sometime back there -- about 1910? -- Walter Johnson shut out the Highlanders / Yankees in three consecutive games. That's games...not starts. Shut them out on a Friday, then Saturday; had Sunday off because the "blue laws" forbid baseball on Sundays; came back well rested and shut them out on Monday.

Scherzer is beginning to look like a modern equivalent of Walter Johnson. (Note: Johnson said that his best game was about 1926, when he was 39. If Max keeps pitching like this until he's 38, I'll be happy enough!!!)

I like that comparison!  Max has quickly become one of my favorite players on the team, not just because he's so good at what he does.  I really like his personality.  He comes across as really personable and friendly in interviews which is refreshing compared to other players who always sound stiff and bored in interviews.  He also has a really good attitude.  He had some quote after his no-hitter about positive thinking that I really liked.

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
Max we're glad you're onboard!  :money: :money: :money: :money: :money: :thumbs: :minigunz:

Offline DPMOmaha

He gave up a couple of hits and a couple of runs. Inexcusable.  DFA time. Maybe sign him to a minor league deal til he gets his head right.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Patterson his ass

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
That's pretty funny. Actually, I'm surprised Feinstein didn't tweet it, with extra smarm.

Offline Rich-L

Not only a trolling turd, but a stupid one. Stras was NOT pitching well before they shut him down!!!

"In his final three starts, Strasburg demonstrated the effect coming back from Tommy John surgery has on many pitchers. The Marlins drilled him for seven runs in five innings, including a career-high nine hits, on Aug. 28. Last Sunday, he shutout the Cardinals for six two-hit innings. And then last night, partly because of his lack of focus, Strasburg got drilled again."

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
That's pretty funny. Actually, I'm surprised Feinstein didn't tweet it, with extra smarm.

Sometime, his analysis is really good.    I simply wish someone else would deliver it.

Offline PC

June NL Pitcher of the Month