Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 76536 times)

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961

Scherzer is amazing. He hasn't had an individual season like Harper in 2015, but overall the best National in the team's short history.

I think 30 or 40 years from now we will be telling kids and grandkids we watched Max Scherzer ands,  he was the best pitcher of the early century and easily the best overall Nat. Hall of Famer. Hoping he goes in with a :w: hat

Yes,when I watch Max pitch I feel the same way as when I watched Tom Seaver pitch for the Mets in the 70s.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I made a post about about how it is great to watch an amazing player, but I guess your response about him being wasted when he has actually pitched for two Nats playoffs teams makes sense.

I guess the end result is all that matters, not the journey. They should cut the 162 games down to a a couple dozen so we can get to the end quicker.

People who’s talents are being wasted are players like Votto and Trout and Félix Hernández. Scherzer has made multiple appearances.

Last night’s game was a kick in the teeth. If I didn’t think the two great comebacks or the 25-4 win meant that the season was necessarily turning around, I won’t get too despondent over this one. They all count as one game.

I love going to the park and watching Max pitch. I swear some of the “fans” here don’t actually care about the journey or watching and just want to be able to buy a championship shirt and go to a parade...

Offline UMDNats

I think we all value the role the journey plays in the ultimate end result. The dialogue here is basically identical to how hardcore Caps fans talked the last 3-5 years. Then it happens and it makes you realize how amazing the feeling is because of the journey. I think we can all appreciate how amazing Max is, how cool certain moments are, etc., even if we have a crap year or 10. I think if you only care about a World Series you wouldn't be here IMO. Some people are just more critical or look at things in a more pragmatic way and that's alright.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I think we all value the role the journey plays in the ultimate end result. The dialogue here is basically identical to how hardcore Caps fans talked the last 3-5 years. Then it happens and it makes you realize how amazing the feeling is because of the journey. I think we can all appreciate how amazing Max is, how cool certain moments are, etc., even if we have a crap year or 10. I think if you only care about a World Series you wouldn't be here IMO. Some people are just more critical or look at things in a more pragmatic way and that's alright.

I’m being a bit harsh. I’m beginning to realize that this forum is just for nagging and DC fans love to nag. But even with all the angst, if you don’t think two thirds of fan bases wouldnt trade places with the Nats, you’re being delusional.

Online HalfSmokes

I’m being a bit harsh. I’m beginning to realize that this forum is just for nagging and DC fans love to nag. But even with all the angst, if you don’t think two thirds of fan bases wouldnt trade places with the Nats, you’re being delusional.

Those deep post season runs must be miserable, I truly pity Cubs fans

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Even had the Caps bombed out again early it would not change fact I love watching Ovechkin. I loved watching Sean Taylor and Brian Orakpo*. Scherzer is amazing. If Nats or Skins ever make it through, the tough days will be significantly better in hindsight, but even now it is pretty fun.

*just there to give spidernat a blood pressure spike

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Those deep post season runs must be miserable, I truly pity Cubs fans

Yes, because I was referring to the Cubs in that two thirds... :roll:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Even had the Caps bombed out again early it would not change fact I love watching Ovechkin. I loved watching Sean Taylor and Brian Orakpo*. Scherzer is amazing. If Nats or Skins ever make it through, the tough days will be significantly better in hindsight, but even now it is pretty fun.

*just there to give spidernat a blood pressure spike

I adore watching Max, but when the team blows it in spectacular fashion after he give it his absolute all I just find that soooooo frustrating and I'm like ridiculously angry on his behalf, so yea when we lose a Max game when he pitches an absolute gem I find it hard to consider that fun :(

Offline MorseTheHorse

Kudos to Max for not murdering Madson or anyone else last night. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Kudos to Max for not murdering Madson or anyone else last night. 

Ya gotta believe he was puckered up.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

That seems like an awfully high estimate.  I'm going to be insufferable and go through this with a fine-tooth comb:

Red Sox - hell no
Yankees - nope
Rays - probably, but there are like ten Rays fans, so who cares
Blue Jays - probably
Orioles - without question

Indians - nope, no reason here.  came way closer to a WS a couple years ago than the Nats EVER have
Tigers - maybe now they would, but this is a recent development
Twins - yeah, sure
White Sox - yes
Royals - nope, they actually won some hardware where the Nats failed

Astros - hell to the no
Mariners - before this year, maybe, but now?  I guess it's still a maybe, but why really bother when they've come this far?
Athletics - no real point to it; same buzzard's luck
Rangers - sure, yeah
Angels - a pointless lateral move, just like with the A's

Phillies - nope
Braves - nope
Mets - definitely
Marlins - definitely

Cubs - nope
Brewers - nope, lateral move at best
Cardinals - hah
Pirates - I guess yeah, just to make the playoffs more often
Reds - sure

Diamondbacks - nope
Dodgers - nope
Rockies - before this year, sure, but why bother now?
Giants - 2014 says hi
Padres - yes x 1000

Even if we count the Mariners and Rockies, that's definitely not 2/3 of fanbases (I quick-count 15/29).  Back to the drawing board.

Offline DPMOmaha

All of the "before this year" teams would trade with the Nats. Maybe not this season, but it's unlikely any of those team will have a 6 year run like the Nats just had. I think there's about 19 teams that would kill for a 6 year run like the Nats just had (and may still be on).

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
That seems like an awfully high estimate.  I'm going to be insufferable and go through this with a fine-tooth comb:

Red Sox - hell no
Yankees - nope
Rays - probably, but there are like ten Rays fans, so who cares
Blue Jays - probably
Orioles - without question

Indians - nope, no reason here.  came way closer to a WS a couple years ago than the Nats EVER have
Tigers - maybe now they would, but this is a recent development
Twins - yeah, sure
White Sox - yes
Royals - nope, they actually won some hardware where the Nats failed

Astros - hell to the no
Mariners - before this year, maybe, but now?  I guess it's still a maybe, but why really bother when they've come this far?
Athletics - no real point to it; same buzzard's luck
Rangers - sure, yeah
Angels - a pointless lateral move, just like with the A's

Phillies - nope
Braves - nope
Mets - definitely
Marlins - definitely

Cubs - nope
Brewers - nope, lateral move at best
Cardinals - hah
Pirates - I guess yeah, just to make the playoffs more often
Reds - sure

Diamondbacks - nope
Dodgers - nope
Rockies - before this year, sure, but why bother now?
Giants - 2014 says hi
Padres - yes x 1000

Even if we count the Mariners and Rockies, that's definitely not 2/3 of fanbases (I quick-count 15/29).  Back to the drawing board.

Lol nice work :clap:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Lol nice work :clap:

Yeah, that took some effort.

• pissy DC sports fan
All of the "before this year" teams would trade with the Nats. Maybe not this season, but it's unlikely any of those team will have a 6 year run like the Nats just had. I think there's about 19 teams that would kill for a 6 year run like the Nats just had (and may still be on).

I counted the two major "before this year" teams (M's and Rockies), and honestly, that's called moving the goalposts.  If you get to play around with the timeline, then we can just as easily say that the Tigers would in no way want to switch with the Nats because of their playoff runs in 2006, 2010, and 2012.

Yeah, that took some effort.

It really didn't. :lol: I guess I'm just that much of a nerd that every team's recent history is something I can remember easily, but I can safely say that it really didn't take that long and I've taken longer on other posts.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I count 18 or 19. The Rockies, Mariners, Athletics,Brewers, D-Backs and Phillies, have definitely not had nearly the success over the past 6 years. This team has won more games than everyone but the Didgers over the past six years. Maybe not exactly 2/3, but close enough.

Online HalfSmokes

I count 18 or 19. The Rockies, Mariners, Athletics,Brewers, D-Backs and Phillies, have definitely not had nearly the success over the past 6 years. This team has won more games than everyone but the Didgers over the past six years. Maybe not exactly 2/3, but close enough.

and this team has no post season success to speak of, the Philles were coming off a world series win during that time, and they're back on the top of the division- why would they trade with us? If just getting there is what really matters, the As have been there three times and look set to get there again this year- so not sure why they'd trade

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Would any fanbase that made the world series in the past 10 years have traded that for 4 division titles and 1st round eliminations?  Giants, Rangers, Mets, Rays . . .  Rays will look back on the Longoria years with better memories than we will have of Bryce and the home run derby years. 

Offline Ray D

Would any fanbase that made the world series in the past 10 years have traded that for 4 division titles and 1st round eliminations?  Giants, Rangers, Mets, Rays . . .  Rays will look back on the Longoria years with better memories than we will have of Bryce and the home run derby years. 
Well the Giants won three championships and the Rangers were in two World Series.  But Mets and Rays ...  I would take four  division titles (even with 1st round elimination) in seven years, over their runs, of one World Series (each) and no other playoff appearances. Maybe I'm the only one here who feels that way.    In the Mets case, it's one postseason over 11 years.  Rays, one in their history.  Hell no, I wouldn't be happy with that.

Offline DPMOmaha

I know a lot of Royals fans and while they wouldn't trade the 3 year run they just had, they also aren't excited about what looks like it's gonna be another prolonged stretch of bottom feeding.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
(Image removed from quote.)

Ignoring how tonight ended.

Scherzer is amazing. He hasn't had an individual season like Harper in 2015, but overall the best National in the team's short history.

I think 30 or 40 years from now we will be telling kids and grandkids we watched Max Scherzer and he was the best pitcher of the early century and easily the best overall Nat. Hall of Famer. Hoping he goes in with a :w: hat
I should have known my bump of this thread wouldn't lead to discussion of an amazing pitcher but instead be more nagging and moaning like every other thread on this page.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
fanboi gonna fanboi

• pissy DC sports fan
Well the Giants won three championships and the Rangers were in two World Series.  But Mets and Rays ...  I would take four  division titles (even with 1st round elimination) in seven years, over their runs, of one World Series (each) and no other playoff appearances. Maybe I'm the only one here who feels that way.    In the Mets case, it's one postseason over 11 years.  Rays, one in their history.  Hell no, I wouldn't be happy with that.

The Rays made the postseason in 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2013.  They have as many postseason appearances as the Nats since the move to DC, only with an actual AL pennant.

• pissy DC sports fan

Who cares?  Those teams are on the upswing and have no reason to trade places with a team in decline that hasn't won anything meaningful throughout this entire decade (or in franchise history, for that matter).

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
fanboi gonna fanboi
I just checked and looks like this is the Scherzer thread so I have no problem fangirling over a legend